Calculate Pulpwood to make OSB

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Calculate Pulpwood to make OSB

Unread post by AARR »

I'd like to calculate how much pulpwood (logs/poles) it takes to make OSB. Let's use L-P's Grayling plant as an example again. RDD determined it produces 165,000 (165,235) tons per year (450 million sq ft at 1/4" basis). So how many tons of pulpwood will it take?

In the paper industry it takes approximately 1.4 tons of pulpwood or scrap paper to make 1 ton of paper. I haven't found the calculation / formula for wood products.

The answer might be at this site but I could sure use some help understanding it http://www.ruraltech.org/projects/conve ... mbined.pdf

As always thanks!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Calculate Pulpwood to make OSB

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I did a little research and was quite surprised by what I found. Moisture content of fresh cut timber can range from 75% to 110% (oven - dried basis). In the case of Grayling, that would mean 165,000 tons x 2 = 330,000 tons of raw wood was hauled in for processing.

I wouldn't call it pulpwood That implies the timber was used to make pulp in the paper making process.

I also found they figure 8.5% of the weight of dried manufactured wood (plywood, OSB etc) is glues, resins, and additives.

Any more questions? 8) I'll let Saturnalia check your math :lol:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Calculate Pulpwood to make OSB

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks again, RDD. I really appreciate your response.

I've been reading and came up with 1 ton of board to 1.5 ton of logs. But you've got better knowledge so I'm going with your answer 8) .
Raildudes dad wrote:I did a little research and was quite surprised by what I found. Moisture content of fresh cut timber can range from 75% to 110% (oven - dried basis). In the case of Grayling, that would mean 165,000 tons x 2 = 330,000 tons of raw wood was hauled in for processing.

I wouldn't call it pulpwood That implies the timber was used to make pulp in the paper making process.

I also found they figure 8.5% of the weight of dried manufactured wood (plywood, OSB etc) is glues, resins, and additives.

Any more questions? 8) I'll let Saturnalia check your math :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...