488: Chasing a CN Freight with 3 Cameras + Drone

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

488: Chasing a CN Freight with 3 Cameras + Drone

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ep. 488: Chasing a CN Freight Train with 3 Cameras + Drone!

December 3, 2016 RAPID RIVER, MI -- With December upon us but not yet with a snowpack in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we setout to chase CN L551 as they work the Manistique Sub eastward from Gladstone toward Sault Ste Marie.

For the first time here on TRRS, we're going multi-camera for this chase. Utilizing both my brand new Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder as the primary, my old Sony HDR-PJ790V HD Camcorder as secondary, and Andrew's DJI Phantom 3 Advanced as our eye in the sky, we chase the train along for four locations, mixing in all three camera angles to get a better set of views out of this train.

Our first setup was in Rapid River, where L551 is just minutes out of Gladstone. With the Primary setup for the coming-to and secondary on going-away duty, we use the drone to extend our vision to the Rapid and Whitefish Rivers east of town.

Next, at Nahma Junction, the same sort of setup is used to capture them at the grade crossing and rolling over the Sturgeon River.

Cooks is home to a former siding, where once again having all three cameras online allows for a more in-depth look at the area.

Finally, Manistique still has its old station building, which is still used by the CN Maintenance forces. The ground cameras capture the roll by, before the drone chases them for the Manistique River Bridge.

Note: at 3:28, the caption is incorrect. It should read "Nahma", not "Nahama".

CN L551 Gladstone – SOO Manifest
Consist:
- CN 2686 [C44-9W]
- 4 hoppers [SOO Bridge Idlers]
- 45 hoppers [Iron Ore Loads]
- 4 hoppers [SOO Bridge Idlers]
- CN 2336 [ES44DC] *DPU*
- 49 cars [Mixed]
- 102 cars TOTAL
Location/Time:
- CN Manistique Sub, Rapid River, MI, Main St xing, on 12-3-16 at 13:43 EST
- Nahma Jct, NF-13 Rd xing, at 14:16 EST
- Cooks, County Rd 442 xing, at 14:45 EST
- Manistique, Manistique Depot, at 13:10 EST

Thanks for watching! Don’t forget to share this video, like and subscribe to Thornapple River Rail Series!

Like TRRS on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/thornappleriverproductions

Videography Equipment:
-Primary: Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder
-Secondary: Sony HDR-PJ790V HD Camcorder
-Aerial Platform: DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Drone
-Edited with: Cyberlink PowerDirector 13

People:
-Alex C: Owner, producer, and narrator
-Andrew E: Aerial platform owner and operator
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: 488: Chasing a CN Freight with 3 Cameras + Drone

Unread post by AARR »

I like it, Saturn. Thanks for posting :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I noted the drone clips appeared very dark and almost yellowed. Is that related to a setting or prodding thing? Even on cloudy days I normally do not have that "dreary" of an appearance for drone clips.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ypsi wrote:I noted the drone clips appeared very dark and almost yellowed. Is that related to a setting or prodding thing? Even on cloudy days I normally do not have that "dreary" of an appearance for drone clips.
Nope, that's just how dreary it was. Overcast and had the exposure maybe set a touch high since he never showed the sky. The drone was closer to reality that my two ground cameras, IMHO.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow