railohio's 2016 in review

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

railohio's 2016 in review

Unread post by railohio »

It was an eventful year...

ImageNS1071RoadRioWI2-7-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

Chased the Norfolk Southern's Central of New Jersey-painted heritage unit, No. 1071, on the Canadian Pacific east out of Portage in January. Unfortunately, it was already afternoon before the expedition made contact with the unit, and the daylight was all too short.

ImageAmtrak650MenHavreDeGraceMD4-2-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

In early April, I made my second trip to the Northeast Corridor, focusing on the Maryland portion of the route with a healthy look at the famous Susquehanna River bridge at Havre de Grace.

ImageCIE071CurveLimerickJct5-13-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

May found me in Europe for a Trains Magazine tour, and I spent a lot of time on the Irish rail network. Here, our excursion celebrating the 40-year-old EMD Class 071 locomotives shoves around the connection at Limerick Junction.

ImageMARC4912MeetBaltimoreMD6-20-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

June took me back East for the Amtrak AEM-7 farewell excursion and another pass at the outgoing MARC HHP-8 electrics.

ImageCN5404SignMattesonIL7-3-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

I spent the long July 4 holiday weekend around Chicago, including a look at the new Matteson railfan park.

ImageCSX5224RochesterNY8-22-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

In August I returned to Western New York to volunteer at the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum for a weekend – and inspect the railroads of the area.

ImageCN6006IronJunctionMN9-27-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

Steaming loads were the theme of my late September trip to the Iron Range.

ImageOpenPoints2ChicagoIL10-15-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

The C&M Sub is more fun from a dutch door, which I learned on a weekend trip to Chicago in November.

ImageAmtrak125PewaukeeWI11-12-16 by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr

November taught me to wait it out to the very end, exemplified by No. 7 along Pewaukee Lake.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: railohio's 2016 in review

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I'm tempted to move this post to a hidden area until January...there's still 3 weeks left in the year. :)
Interesting collection at least.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

~Z~ wrote:I'm tempted to move this post to a hidden area until January...there's still 3 weeks left in the year. :)
Interesting collection at least.
Right? "Year in Review" posts on the internet MUST be kept until the week between Christmas and New Year. Thanks.

admin edit: no, january... week between christmas and new year is still 2016.

poster re-edit: no, it's okay to review your year for Week 52. At least then it is at least 98% complete so you can get nostalgia as you realize the next lap won't necessarily be any more fun as you age
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does any one else think the low nose on CN 5405 (SD50 or 60?) looks extended?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Maybe it's his "fiscal year", as opposed to a calendar year. :lol:

A fiscal year (FY) is a period that a company or government uses for accounting purposes and preparing financial statements. A fiscal year may not be the same as a calendar year, and for tax purposes, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allows companies to be either calendar-year taxpayers or fiscal-year taxpayers.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".