CN White Pine Branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

CN White Pine Branch

Unread post by NS3322 »

What is the current status of this line?

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: CN White Pine Branch

Unread post by SW »

There was a short thread on this in Nov. 2014. Haven't seen anything anywhere since then...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30777
Owosso Steve

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Is the SW1 still in White Pine? If not, what is its current location?

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blackjack1518 »

NS3322 wrote:Is the SW1 still in White Pine? If not, what is its current location?

The WP sub is still inactive. As for the Refinery switcher, it was either moved at the end before refinery closed or is stored in the engine house at White Pine.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

blackjack1518 wrote:As for the Refinery switcher, it was either moved at the end before refinery closed or is stored in the engine house at White Pine.
Is the engine house on private property?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Here are some shots I took of the White Pine Branch back in July.
I unfortunately could not locate the SW1.

White Pine Yard

LP Walsh Road Crossing #1

LP Walsh Road Crossing #2

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There are a few of us who would go here just to see the unused tracks (before they are removed). I like "fossil hunting ".
NS3322 wrote:Here are some shots I took of the White Pine Branch back in July.
I unfortunately could not locate the SW1.

White Pine Yard

LP Walsh Road Crossing #1

LP Walsh Road Crossing #2
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:There are a few of us who would go here just to see the unused tracks (before they are removed). I like "fossil hunting ".
I agree. "Fossil hunting" is fun :) .

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Neat pics, thanks for sharing. My guess is that as long as there is a possibility that some form of mining activity will resume near White Pine, the line will be kept in place.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Does anyone know when the last time a train went down this branch?

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

I recall there being quite a few boxcars in White Pine last time I was in Ontonagon, in 2013 or so. But that was a long time ago.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:Does anyone know when the last time a train went down this branch?

October 2010 would have been last train. Sometime in late 2010 or early 2011 CN ran track geometry evaluation car. The line has been in "embargo" ever since related track/bridge conditions. If this new copper mine at White Pine ever takes off CN shall have a major track rehab to take place. The company also owns ore rights to deposit at the Copperwood project located 18 miles from the historic White Pine mine site.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

Well here is good news for this CN track that's been idle.

http://www.mininggazette.com/news/local ... g-sources/

crazylegs_9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by crazylegs_9 »

I couldn't imagine the excitement as a Railfan if I lived near those lines.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I emailed ILSX a few months ago and I forgot to update this thread, but I received some "new" information on the SW1 #1371 refinery switcher.
Independent Locomotive Service wrote:We sold that unit to White Pine Copper many years ago (don’t know if it is still called that). Last I heard the mine was either idle or they were not shipping buy rail. CN stopped maintaining the line so the locomotive was offered up for sale. No takers because it is basically land locked. That is too bad because it is a nice SW1. Well maintained and stored inside.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:I emailed ILSX a few months ago and I forgot to update this thread, but I received some "new" information on the SW1 #1371 refinery switcher.
Independent Locomotive Service wrote:We sold that unit to White Pine Copper many years ago (don’t know if it is still called that). Last I heard the mine was either idle or they were not shipping buy rail. CN stopped maintaining the line so the locomotive was offered up for sale. No takers because it is basically land locked. That is too bad because it is a nice SW1. Well maintained and stored inside.
It's been sitting in the engine house next to the refinery. Not sure what will ever be done with this engine, and if the rail to White Pine will ever be used again. The Copperwood mine just recently received all permits to mine now as of week ago. The company is currently unfunded to build the mine and has said it's been difficult to try and get funded due to soft market with copper. I believe the company had planned to truck the concentrate 100 miles one way to Park Falls, WI to be loaded onto CN rail. But recent news by Highland copper has the concentrate transport as still being studied. CN WP sub would be to costly most likely for CN to bring back online. I would think if rail returns to Ontonagon for the biofuel plant the copper company use that rail and reduce transport costs.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

blackjack1518 wrote:But recent news by Highland copper has the concentrate transport as still being studied. CN WP sub would be to costly most likely for CN to bring back online. I would think if rail returns to Ontonagon for the biofuel plant the copper company use that rail and reduce transport costs.
The main sticking point for the White Pine Sub is that it can't handle 263K cars. The site selected in Wisconsin is literally the closest point on a CN mainline capable of handling 286K cars, or so the story goes.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

blackjack1518 wrote:It's been sitting in the engine house next to the refinery. Not sure what will ever be done with this engine, and if the rail to White Pine will ever be used again.
Is this building the engine house?
WP.JPG
Saturnalia wrote:The main sticking point for the White Pine Sub is that it can't handle 263K cars. The site selected in Wisconsin is literally the closest point on a CN mainline capable of handling 286K cars, or so the story goes.
Another blow to the WP Sub. :(

Jeff Smith
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jeff Smith »

blackjack1518 wrote:
NS3322 wrote:I emailed ILSX a few months ago and I forgot to update this thread, but I received some "new" information on the SW1 #1371 refinery switcher.
It's been sitting in the engine house next to the refinery. Not sure what will ever be done with this engine, and if the rail to White Pine will ever be used again. The Copperwood mine just recently received all permits to mine now as of week ago. The company is currently unfunded to build the mine and has said it's been difficult to try and get funded due to soft market with copper. I believe the company had planned to truck the concentrate 100 miles one way to Park Falls, WI to be loaded onto CN rail. But recent news by Highland copper has the concentrate transport as still being studied. CN WP sub would be to costly most likely for CN to bring back online. I would think if rail returns to Ontonagon for the biofuel plant the copper company use that rail and reduce transport costs.
This isn't the first time someone suggested Ontonagon rail be re-laid. I guess it just doesn't make any sense that they would do that after having removed it not that long ago.

blackjack1518
Railroadfan...fan

It is my understanding that the 12 miles of rail relay into Ontonagon is a must for this biofuel plant. This was a really big deal when ELS removed the rail so quickly, as had been told to the railroad something would be in the works. Most likely pulled up because of it's heavy pound rail with resale value.