Resolved: **Help! My Videos are being STOLEN!**

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Resolved: **Help! My Videos are being STOLEN!**

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Hello all. As many are aware, I have a YouTube channel and I share all of my videos here. Somebody has begun to reupload all of my work as their own in an obvious attempt to profit from my labors. Please, if you have a moment or two, follow this link to my Channel's Facebook Page where I have instructions that will make it very easy to report this thief. Any help is greatly appreciated. It should only take you literally a minute to do each one.

HUGE THANKS to whoever helps out with this!!

https://www.facebook.com/thornapplerive ... S_TIMELINE

or, if you prefer, go directly to his channel,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSMqlt ... zXp2de4BHw

Alex.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: **PLEASE HELP: My Videos are being STOLEN!

Unread post by Jochs »

I've reported his channel and your stolen videos to youtube.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Wow.
**EDIT**
Looks like impersonation to me...and I reported his account to YouTube as well, using the text you posted on Facebook.

It looks like it's just your content he's stealing. Maybe he's a fan, using the BS line of reasoning that imitation is some form of flattery...or he has a grudge against you. Did you insult his mother? :twisted:
~ Charles W.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Watermarks are worth their weight in gold
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Yeah, might finally be time to add full watermarks to everything. I mean having your videos stolen is a mark of success, if an incredibly frustrating one.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I would think this is more of a "troll" than stealing for profit.. Still stealing, but If you wanted to steal videos and use them for profit you likely wouldn't use the exact same titles and everything. It also takes a lot of effort to pull these videos and then upload them which in its own right is confusing to why someone would even attempt to do this. And no offense Alex, if I was going to steal your videos I would drop that darn episode number :lol: all kidding aside I hope youtube takes care of this swiftly for you.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Curses....busted again....

:twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Ypsi wrote:It also takes a lot of effort to pull these videos and then upload them which in its own right is confusing to why someone would even attempt to do this.
Actually it's very very simple. There are a number of programs and sites where you just drop the URL in and it will download (or give you a link to download) the video in a common file format (mp4, usually these days). There are even browser plugins that will do it with a single click of a button. Once you've got the file, it's just a matter of re-uploading it. Not counting transfer time (in which you can go do something else) the whole ordeal probably takes less then 5mins, depending on the ripping route you go. But even if you weren't using a ripper, you'd have to use a screenrecorder, so you loose some quality & you've got to play the entire video, again not really that difficult of a thing to do (the hardest part with that avenue is finding a decent screenrecorder...)

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

crashton
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by crashton »

Saturnalia wrote:Hello all. As many are aware, I have a YouTube channel and I share all of my videos here. Somebody has begun to reupload all of my work as their own in an obvious attempt to profit from my labors. Please, if you have a moment or two, follow this link to my Channel's Facebook Page where I have instructions that will make it very easy to report this thief. Any help is greatly appreciated. It should only take you literally a minute to do each one.

HUGE THANKS to whoever helps out with this!!

https://www.facebook.com/thornapplerive ... S_TIMELINE

or, if you prefer, go directly to his channel,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSMqlt ... zXp2de4BHw

Alex.
I've reported the low life. A pox of hemorrhoids on him.

I hope this gets straightened out quickly for you.
Chuck

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Overnight, after all of the reports filed by everybody else, and after I posted a DMCA takedown notice on each and every video of his (since they were all mine), YouTube terminated this thief's account.

Thanks for everybody's consideration. Special thanks to Tier4GEVO for bringing this to my attention within hours of the thievery beginning.
DMCA4.png
Looks like an on-screen bug will be coming to TRRS in the near future.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Saturnalia wrote:Overnight, after all of the reports filed by everybody else, and after I posted a DMCA takedown notice on each and every video of his (since they were all mine), YouTube terminated this thief's account.

Thanks for everybody's consideration. Special thanks to Tier4GEVO for bringing this to my attention within hours of the thievery beginning.
DMCA4.png
Looks like an on-screen bug will be coming to TRRS in the near future.
Not a prob. The Ep.XXX was a huge giveaway as I was scrolling through pages and was enough to alarm me and go back up.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Tier4GEVO wrote:Not a prob. The Ep.XXX was a huge giveaway as I was scrolling through pages and was enough to alarm me and go back up.
Ahh, the Episode identifiers are a help in that case. So, why not the backstory?

So, rewind back to 13 year old me. First, collective shudder. Second, why I do episode numbers. When I was getting into YouTube, I found many channels where I wanted to make sure I watched EVERY video. This was before they showed the shadow "watched" box like they do now when you're logged in. So there were several channels I was wishing would do that, so I decided to do it myself, from my very first episode. I also wanted to have an easy identifier for my channel, and I could then point to "Episode xxx" instead of a clunky title. Sure, it takes up several characters at the beginning, but I've found it to be quite helpful.

Now seasons? That's meh. Several people have suggested it over the years, but defining a season is hard and just takes up more characters. So I'll keep on numbering my way up. Plus that's slowed down a lot now that I do longer, more complex videos with more trains in one.

Thankfully, I know of only one other railroad YouTube channel that has attempted Episode numbers in the time since I started the practice. They're one of those small cellphone video affairs. So thankfully, there isn't a lot of interference on that. If it did happen, I'd have to edit all the titles to "TRRS Ep. xxx". Which I can do, but it's nice to have the unique calling that I'm sure a lot of people recognize when browsing.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Resolved: **Help! My Videos are being STOLEN!**

Unread post by J T »

You're overthinking it. Just stick to what you've been doing. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.