NW Indiana PTC project.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NW Indiana PTC project.

Unread post by tttodisp »

Are the CP 509 changes also effective at 1201 AM on Monday?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

tttodisp wrote:Are the CP 509 changes also effective at 1201 AM on Monday?
Sorry, tonight.

Also. It looks like NS is adding Limited speed aspects to the 2WA 4WD 2EA and 6E signals for #1 and #2 but is retaining the medium clear aspects for those signals as well.

So it looks like there will be a mix of limited speed and medium speed crossovers.
Last edited by LakeATCS on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the update. I will start logging overnight.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

They didn't post any info on the bridge wedges. So no clue if we will still be able to see them or not.

I am guessing the limited speed crossovers are the realignment I heard of.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

NS had to postpone the work until next weekend, I am told.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

I noticed something was up. They were still messing with it last night.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

LakeATCS wrote:If I read this right. Only really NEW thing should be a new crossover at the very west end of the plant plus there will be separate derails on #1 and the CSL lead instead of a shared derail. Plus Rule 261 operation on the #3 main.
I agree on your reading for the new crossover. A new LH crossover between the two mains at the far west end of the plant.
The way I read it the rest of the plant stays the same (although with limited speed crossovers in some places).

Counting derails and looking at the numbers, #25 should be west of #27 on the track that is track 1 west of the plant (track 3 east of the plant). #21 should be west of #23. If #21 is on the CSL east of #23 and #25 is on track 1 east of #23 then there is no derail for track 2 or track 3 westbound. #25 needs to be on the track between #19 and #27 and #21 needs to be west of #23 for all tracks to be derail protected. (It would also keep the switches in order low number to high number from west to east.)

But I can understand the confusion. With the track numbers changing mid plant, it seems NS is having trouble keeping the designations straight.
LakeATCS wrote: A new #29 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Westward movements on the Colehour Runner Track.
A new #27 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 2 Track.
A new #25 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements on the Main 1 Track.
A new #23 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.5, for Westward movements from the Chicago Short Line Track to the Main 1Track.
A new #21 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements on the Chicago Short Line Track.
A new #19 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track
A new #17 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.6, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 1 Track.
A new #15 power switch and power derail has been installed at MP 509.6, for Eastward movements from the Main 2 Track to the River Line Track.
A new #13 power switch and power derail has been installed at MP 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the BRC Track.
A new #11 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.8,for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 1 Track.
A new #9 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Eastward movements on the Main 1 Track.
A new #7 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the 22Track.
A new #5 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Eastward movements on the Main 2 Track.
A new #3 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.9, for Westward movements from the 22 Track to the 21Track.
A new #1 power switch has been installed at MP CD 510.0, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.
I see five standalone derails (same as the old arrangement) and two integrated derails (same as the old arrangement for BRC and River).

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Changes at Controlled Point CP Englewood at MP CD 515.8
Interesting. I expected the new RH crossover to be at the west end of the plant instead of in the middle.
And unexpected but a nice touch of nostalgia calling it CP Englewood.

The changes west of Porter have come along nicely. When CP Englewood and CP 509 go online only CP 503 will have remain untouched between CP 518 and CP 482 (CP 498 still awaiting activation).

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

tttodisp wrote:I am still seeing 7WG controls and indications at CP 482, so it would appear that the Amtrak siding is not in service yet, as Amtrak was supposed to take control of their CP 238 (westbound) back from NS.
I heard from INDOT that Amtrak's Chesterton Siding went into service on July 29. Before the siding, CP 238, a holding signal to keep trains away from CP 482, had its controlled westbound signal controlled by NS Dearborn and its eastbound signal controlled by Amtrak's MI Line Train Director. Maybe NS still controls the signal for the main track?
Andy

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

I think your right.

That bulletin was rife with confusing stuff. I fact I am sure it has typos and stuff just plain wrong. But 509 is a confusing mess.

I guess the track numbers don't change until you get east of the OS at 509

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

justalurker66 wrote:
LakeATCS wrote:Changes at Controlled Point CP Englewood at MP CD 515.8
Interesting. I expected the new RH crossover to be at the west end of the plant instead of in the middle.
And unexpected but a nice touch of nostalgia calling it CP Englewood.

The changes west of Porter have come along nicely. When CP Englewood and CP 509 go online only CP 503 will have remain untouched between CP 518 and CP 482 (CP 498 still awaiting activation).
I think this may be NS leaving space for the future create project.

Remember that the future connection from the CNIC for Amtrak will run along the south side of the former PRR after ascending the ex NKP bridge.
It will then connect at the Englewood plant. This will leave room for crossovers on the west end of the plant to access this. Along with a single new crossover on the east end. Double ladder for parallel moves.

Plus there is a gap between the existing switches.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

They posted the 509 and Englewood notices again. I will post the 509 notice as I think it has corrections.

Effective 12:30 a.m., Sunday, 11-06-16,

Englewood
Effective 12:30 a.m., Monday, 11-07-16

509 changes
A new #29 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Westward movements on the Colehour Runner Track.
A new #27 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 1Track.
A new #25 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements on the Main 1 Track.
A new #23 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.5, for Westward movements from the Chicago Short Line Track
A new #21 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements on the Chicago Short Line Track.
A new #19 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.
A new #17 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.6, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 1Track.
A new #15 power switch and power derail has been installed at MP 509.6, for Eastward movements from the Main 2 Track to the River Line Track.
A new #13 power switch and power derail has been installed at MP 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the BRC Track.
A new #11 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 1 Track.
A new #9 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Eastward movementson the Main 1 Track.
A new #7 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the 22Track.
A new #5 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Eastward movements on the Main 2 Track.
A new #3 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.9, for Westward movements from the 22 Track to the 21Track.
A new #1 power switch has been installed at MP CD 510.0, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.

A new Westward 2WA Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a cantilever mast signal at MP CD 509.3
A new Westward 2WD Home Signal located to the right of the Chicago Short Line on a High signal mast at MP CD 509.3.
A new Westward 4WD Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 509.3
A new Westward 4WA Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 509.3
A new Westward 8WA Home Signal located to the right of the Colehour Runner Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 509.3.
A new Westward 8WD Home Signal located to the right of the River Line Track on a High signal mast at MP CD 509.4.

A new Eastward 2EA Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 510.0
A new Eastward 2ED Home Signal located over and to the right of the 22 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 510.0
A new Eastward 2EG Home Signal located over and to the right of the 21 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 510.0
A new Eastward 6E Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 510.0
A new Eastward 8E Home Signal located to the right of the BRC Track on a Dwarf signal at MP CD 509.8.

A new Eastward 5083E Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3
A new Westward 5081W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3
A new Westward 5082W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3
A new Westward 5083W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3

Signal 5111W at MP CD 511.6 new aspects

Signal 5112E located over and to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 511.6 has removed aspects

It will now change from 251 to 261 territory on Main 3 between CP507 and 509

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:They posted the 509 and Englewood notices again. I will post the 509 notice as I think it has corrections.
They still kept a couple of confusing descriptions.

East of the bridge:
A new #29 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Westward movements on the Colehour Runner Track.
A new #27 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 1Track.
Main 2 east of the plant to Main 1 west of the plant. The non-diverging route would be Main 3 east of the plant.
Main 1 west of the plant. #25 should be on the same track as #27 and just west of #27 on that track.
A new #23 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.5, for Westward movements from the Chicago Short Line Track

Main 1 east of the plant. #21 should be on the same track as #23 and just west of #23 on that track.
A new #19 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.
A new #17 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.6, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 1Track.
Main 1 (and the Chicago Short Line) east of the plant connecting to Main 1 at the bridge and west of the plant.
West of the bridge:
A new #11 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 1 Track.
A new #9 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Eastward movementson the Main 1 Track.

#1 is a crossover (LH) not a switch.
cp509-Nov6.png
cp509-Nov6.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 4861 times

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for posting all of the details.

The last of the crossover projects is supposed to be a new double crossover at MP 453.7. Has anyone been by there recently to note any progress?

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

tttodisp wrote:Thanks for posting all of the details.

The last of the crossover projects is supposed to be a new double crossover at MP 453.7. Has anyone been by there recently to note any progress?
I haven't been there. There are new signals at 463 that haven't been activated and I don't know if they have been turned on. Also a rumored channel change next week

Dave

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The only sign of change at 453 that I have seen was the lack of a new signal to replace the intermediates and a cabinet that was dropped off at about the time Interrail was installing new signals at the other intermediate locations. I do not believe any of the new Interrail signals have been put into service east of 479.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

They have been pushing the contractors hard to run WAY ahead to get their stuff done to get them off the property before next year.

Right now there is literally a couple thousand of miles of new signals waiting for cut over on just the Lake and Dearborne divisions alone.

It will probably take a long while for all the final cut-overs to occur. There are gangs of NS people going around to work on the cutovers.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Old 509 died at 21:49 EDT 11/5

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

It's funny, they went to all the hassle to put everything west of 497 on Channel 6.

But as they are cutting things over, they have ether forgotten that or something. Because everything changed has been put back on Channel 5.

So much so that only 506,507, 515 (englewood), and 518 are on CH6. As well as Halsted west on the CJ are on CH6 too.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

justalurker66 wrote:The only sign of change at 453 that I have seen was the lack of a new signal to replace the intermediates and a cabinet that was dropped off at about the time Interrail was installing new signals at the other intermediate locations. I do not believe any of the new Interrail signals have been put into service east of 479.
Confirmed on a Sunday drive ... no construction at CP 453.