GLC CADILLAC TRACERSE CITY CLARE TRIP

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

GLC CADILLAC TRACERSE CITY CLARE TRIP

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

On Sunday night 10/09/2016 myself and J32885 headed up north to Cadillac, MI to scout out the north end of the GLC. We stopped by Crossroads Village in Flint and enjoyed steam locomotive 464 for a few hours before arriving in Cadillac after dark. CSX had YN2 power ready to lead a coal train south at McGrew Yard and we waited for a few minutes to catch it under some old searchlight canteliever signals, however we decided to pass on the CSX coal train to get some good shots of the 464 at Huckleberry. I honestly could care less about taking pictures of the CSX coal train. Please don't take offense, but working for a class one railroad and seeing the new stuff on a daily basis, I was much more eager to spend my precious vacation time watching a classic steamer like 464 and listening to it's beautiful whistle!

We got up Monday morning at 7am and found GLC 392 outside the enginehouse as well as all the SRI/GLC passenger cars from the recent color trip tied down on one of the tracks in North Yard. I decided to grab an obligatory photo of the old snow plow. I may never see it run, but its nice to see this thing ready for its next call to action:

After switching the Michigan Agricultural Commodeties transload facility in town, GLC 392 headed north to Walton Jct and up the Traverse City District light engine. Fall color was almost non existant most of the way along the line, so we had to struggle to find some golden browns and touches of reds. We still had a blast getting some good shots. Here is 392 heading away from the camera at McManus Corner:

Upon arriving in Traverse City we steaked out the old PM/C&O Depot and waited for the 392. I really enjoyed capturing these pumpkins in my photo as it really helped document the time of year for our visit and added the fall color I was looking for!

GLC 392 headed over to Williamsburg (Bates) and picked up 1 lone empty centerbeam from Amerhart. Its kind of depressing how this is the only customer to justify the entire Traverse City District! GLC 392 stopped in the clear of the switches at Amerhart and the conductor lined the switches against the locomotive and they used a piece of onsite construction equipment to shove the centerbeam out to the main. After the centerbeam was on the main, GLC 392 coupled to it and headed back west. I tried to compose a shot with Grand Traverse Bay. Im very pleased with the shot, but I couldn't decided how to shoot it. I tried standing on top of the truck which was nice, but I ducked down last minute and decided to include the red fall colored vines on the fence along the side of the road to help show what season it was. I certainly could have gotten more water in the photo, but I also wanted to get the train in the photo!

On the way south to Cadillac I attempted to get a nice shot of the wooden bridge off of Walton Rd, but didnt have enough time to untie my shows to wade over to the sunny side in the shallow creek. I did give the spot at McManus corner another try though. Again, not much color out there but these golden brown leaves helped convey the idea:

Possibly my favorite shot of 392 was at Manton, MI. I tried to frame a clean shot and include some elements of downtown in the photo including some benches and a grove of trees. It almost looks like a model HO train!

GLC 392 returned to Cadillac and did some switching before tying down for the day. I managed to take advantage of the nice light for a good roster shot.

On Tuesday the 390 came out to play with the 392. Pretty amazing luck that we caught 2 GP35s in Cadillac considering this trip was planned quite a while back and I had no idea what power woul be up there. Honestly I would not have nearly enjoyed chasing a lone GP38 to Traverse City..

The southbound to Clare departed around 8:30am Tuesday and made stops along the way at McBain etc gathering many cars. Old NW2 1977 is at the foam plant in Farwell and we swear we heard its horn...

Eventually, 390/392 arrived into Clare. Also of interest RJ Corman had several crews out surveying the old PM line west of downtown Clare. Officials in suits and hardhats. I wonder if they are "picking up" what rail is left or studying somekind of rehab. I have no idea why they were there but all these men in suits were walking the abandoned grade from the end of the Plastic Plant to the end of rails just west of town.

We followed the Owosso Turn all the way down past Durand to sunset. Here is one more photo:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GLC CADILLAC TRACERSE CITY CLARE TRIP

Unread post by AARR »

Some years ago, late 1990's perhaps, there was interest in reopening the line to Reed City. The salt plant in Hersey was mining potash as well. Instead a transload was established in Cadillac (at the salt companies insistence...TSBY wanted it in Clare) the potash was not the quality expected and when loading it from the shed into railcars it blew around covering new vehicles at a local dealership. TSBY payed for the clean up and no more potash was loaded afterward.
Mackinac Mac wrote:Also of interest RJ Corman had several crews out surveying the old PM line west of downtown Clare. Officials in suits and hardhats. I wonder if they are "picking up" what rail is left or studying somekind of rehab. I have no idea why they were there but all these men in suits were walking the abandoned grade from the end of the Plastic Plant to the end of rails just west of town.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Mac,
Nice job on the photo story. This is quality message board material.
You were almost in my backyard when you shot the train along East Bay. I've taken a few there myself.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

We're all the hoppers on the head end on the Clare turn from the MAC transload in Cadillac? Or possibly picked up somewhere along the line? Just curious,I also wonder if the crew's you saw in Clare from RJ are there for a possible expansion of the Bulk transload facility? Interesting observation you witnessed..

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

We don't think they were the same hoppers from MAC which has us scratching our heads. We got way ahead of the train to Clare and couldn't figire out where he got the extra cars.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's a place in McBain that appears to receive fertilizer now and then. Falmouth Co-op perhaps? But I don't think they ship grain out by rail. An ex-AARR covered hopper appeared in Cadillac recently and McBain is where we think it was for.
railroader and son wrote:We're all the hoppers on the head end on the Clare turn from the MAC transload in Cadillac? Or possibly picked up somewhere along the line? Just curious,I also wonder if the crew's you saw in Clare from RJ are there for a possible expansion of the Bulk transload facility? Interesting observation you witnessed..
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Nice summary. Not much color up here yet, due to above normal temps all summer and fall. Cold front tonight, tomorrow in the 50s, then back around 70 again for the weekend. Normally, colors would be at or past peak by now.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Mackinac Mac wrote:We don't think they were the same hoppers from MAC which has us scratching our heads. We got way ahead of the train to Clare and couldn't figire out where he got the extra cars.

There have been some of these hoppers stored on the Marion siding. Don't believe MAC in Cadillac is shipping yet.