RIP, Gene Wilder, you'll be missed.

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
J T
Hates Supper

RIP, Gene Wilder, you'll be missed.

Unread post by J T »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: RIP, Gene Wilder, you'll be missed.

Unread post by J T »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Y'all can watch Gene Wilder on the "big screen" at the Redford Theatre http://redfordtheatre.com/events/ in Detroit when they show "Young Frankenstein" on October 21 & 22 (2016). Show times are at 8pm, tix are only $5. We showed that movie in October 2015 and got a big crowd. Lots of fun.

I volunteer at the Redford Theatre (usually as an MC). It's an old theatre that was built in 1928. Since it was built for silent movies, it had a pipe organ built into the theatre. And the theatre still has its original pipe organ. The theatre also has live organists play for 30 minutes before the movies and at intermission. Anyway, some of y'all should check it out sometime. It's in northwest Detroit, on Lahser just north of Grand River (which is just north of Six Mile Road in that area). And yes, the theatre has lighted, guarded parking.

Maybe I'll have to watch my VHS copy of Silver Streak this evening. Anyone up for taking a ride on Am Road? :-)

Garry K

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Woah, Jochs wasn't the first one to the celebrity obituary pages today?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Dang, Gene Wilder passed away. I liked him :lol: .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Went to the Redford theatre many times. I grew up in the Six Mile/Lahser/Telegraph area. Used to make out with the chicks up in the balcony during the Saturday matinees. :lol:
Later, I took a few dates there after the renovation. I still remember the little candy store next to the theatre, Jims Sweet Shop. Good times.
Pretty much everything is gone from that area now. The China Clipper restaurant, Redford High School, that I graduated from. Redford Recreation bowling alley, where I set pins before the automatic pin setters. Genes Mobil service at Redford road and Grand River, where I pumped gas one summer. Clohecy Pontiac, Geigers Drive In, all gone.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Thought Wilder & Pryor were a riot in Silver Streak.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

It was rather depressing to go through the IMDB entry for Blazing Saddles last night and realize that you now have to get to the sixth actor listed before you get to one who is still alive.

Granted, the film was released 42 years ago. Such is life.

2016 has been a rough year for icons of the entertainment industry. Increasing numbers of the performers that many of us grew up with are reaching those ages where it seems they just fall like snowflakes.

'makes me appreciate all the more the interviews Marc Maron has been doing with the legends of comedy over the past few years, talking to them while he still can. It was just a few months ago that he talked with Garry Marshall, for instance.
-Fritz Milhaupt

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Well at least now Charlie has the whole chocolate factory to himself.

Very sad day though.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

One of my favorite movies of his was See No Evil, Hear No Evil. It also starred Richard Pryor.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Had to rent Silver Streak on Amazon last night, Hadn't seen it since I was a kid. I forgot just how well that movie was done with regards to railroading. A few misses here and there to help the story but just the fact that they wrote the deadman pedal into the plot several times made up for it. Although why they couldn't walk through the units to get to the cab to stop the train at the end still has me scratching my head, or why the entire train didn't go into emergency when they uncoupled the cars...

Gene at his best though.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

That's right, we be bad

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Best scene for me.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

The Redford Theatre has just added a tribute showing for Gene Wilder. "Blazing Saddles" will show on Friday, Sept 16 (2016) at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $7.

http://redfordtheatre.com/events/blazin ... ne-wilder/

The web site also mentions a "special tribute video" to be shown before the movie.

Garry K