GRE remnats to Ionia removed

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GRE remnats to Ionia removed

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sounds like the last of the track from Malta to Grand River Ave near Lowell has been removed. Anyone know why they procrastinated? I heard that they were trying to add this to the trail east of the county line...

**Update: Brinks farms on the Michigan Shore is expanding service, and is receiving the rail at that end of the line to accommodate more business.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GRE remnats to Ionia removed

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Ugh, this line in particular makes me sad the most. :cry:

I know what it could have been.
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Fill us in... What could it have been?
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I think the bike trail between Saranac and Ionia is among the best in the state. In fact I just rode it again Last night. I like trains but I love bike trails. If there aren't going to be any rails then I hope the trail gets built to Lowell ASAP!
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You might change your mind after you ride the Macomb Orchard Trail :wink:
Jetlink wrote:I think the bike trail between Saranac and Ionia is among the best in the state. In fact I just rode it again Last night. I like trains but I love bike trails. If there aren't going to be any rails then I hope the trail gets built to Lowell ASAP!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

2018 is the soonest for trail development between Lowell and Saranac. Hopefully RDD will use his immense influence to help get the grant requests approved in the next funding cycle.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

mikerm19 wrote:Ugh, this line in particular makes me sad the most. :cry:

BerkshireKid wrote:Fill us in... What could it have been?
C&M Eastern Division... :P
Nick

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

Grand River to the county line is still in place but they did have a G&W truck sitting next to the east side of Grand River the other day but I am not sure what for. A guy was in it.
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Crushed asphalt surface is now in place between Lowell & Saranac, Lowell & Belding and Belding & Greenville. A couple short sections in Lowell and Greenville still remain to be paved, likely in the spring. Other finish work will also be completed next year. Great looking trail. Would be nice if the weather would cooperate for some fall bike riding. DNR cautiously optimistic about acquiring Lowell-Elmdale next year.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

mikerm19 wrote:Ugh, this line in particular makes me sad the most. :cry:

I think what he means is several customers were looking at locating along the line when CMGN made the decision to discontinue service on the line and remove Ionia to Owosso. From what I recall Lowes (now on CSX in Grand Ledge) was one of these customers. I think I've also heard at least one major grain elevator was looking at the line as well.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

TSBY wanted to buy Owosso-Grand Rapids as I recall but CMGN wanted too much for it. Imagine how different the MI rail scene would be today with GLC in Grand Rapids!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:C&M Eastern Division... :P
No thanks
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Coincidentally on my paper railroad a large grain elevator located in Pewamo and a large lumber distributor located in St. Johns :D
chapmaja wrote:I think what he means is several customers were looking at locating along the line when CMGN made the decision to discontinue service on the line and remove Ionia to Owosso. From what I recall Lowes (now on CSX in Grand Ledge) was one of these customers. I think I've also heard at least one major grain elevator was looking at the line as well.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...