Recommendations for a railfanning spot in NW Indiana

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Recommendations for a railfanning spot in NW Indiana

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I am planning a trip and will be railfanning Chesterton for an entire day, but I will need to spend the night on the previous day. If I have 4-6 hours to kill to railfan in the late afternoon-evening, maybe 2pm-8pm, any recommendations in the general area of Valparaiso and Chesterton? I'd prefer something non-NS as that will be all day the next day. I'd like to stay in Indiana for distance and traffic concerns.

I would love to catch some CN action, but I'm not sure how busy Griffith is these days, and where you can see everything.

Another possible spot would be Suman Road along the CSX Garrett Sub, but I am not sure how busy CSX is in the evening.

Thanks.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Recommendations for a railfanning spot in NW Indiana

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Wellsboro is pretty blah scenery-wise, but you'd be able to double-dip on both CN and CSX. A road crosses the CN near the diamond with the EB signals visible from that spot. But like I said, nothing much to make it look pretty.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:Wellsboro is pretty blah scenery-wise, but you'd be able to double-dip on both CN and CSX. A road crosses the CN near the diamond with the EB signals visible from that spot. But like I said, nothing much to make it look pretty.
Nice! Looks like a hotspot that isn't so famous to everyone. CN + CSX would be a real treat. Do you know if it is all railroad property? I know there are some spots that are technically RR proprety but no one cares about such as Porter Junction, I believe there is a very wide gravel area there where nobody gets bothered at, but this doesn't look like one of those spots.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The road easement is your key. Just stay within a few paces of the road itself and you'll be just fine. Roadway easements are usually 30+ feet from the centerline. And if anybody doesn't wanna chat, just explain the reality of the truth, heed their reasonable directions, and keep it cordial.

I haven't ever heard of problems at Wellsboro, FWIW
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

There is a railfan park in Griffith, right where the the old GTW and EJE cross each other. The diamonds are located right next to a grade crossing which has a sidewalk. Visibility is good in three directions, but the EJE line turns north to head to Kirk Yard immediately after crossing the old GTW line. Also, trains to and from the east may miss the park all together. A few years back, CN built a connector from the westbound GTW to northbound EJE.

As for Wellsboro, the only issue I ever had there was when I was there after dark. A county deputy ran me off, but he even granted me several minutes to figure out where I was heading next.

Neither Wellsboro or Griffith offer a spot to relieve yourself or grab a drink nearby.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Neither Wellsboro or Griffith offer a spot to relieve yourself
That's why I carry an empty juice jug in my van! :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

hoborich wrote:
Neither Wellsboro or Griffith offer a spot to relieve yourself
That's why I carry an empty juice jug in my van! :lol:

Taking advantage of vast lines of brush, bushes, and trees provide convenience to do also :D

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

trainjunkie47 wrote:Neither Wellsboro or Griffith offer a spot to relieve yourself or grab a drink nearby.
Make sure one keeps track of which jug is which.