Train vs Semi in Mishawaka (train wins)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Train vs Semi in Mishawaka (train wins)

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Mishawaka Police and Fire are responding to the scene of a semi hit by a train on Logan and Milburn.
According to dispatch it happened around 3:15 p.m.
Lt. Williams with Mishawaka Police says no one was injured.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/breaking-sem ... -mishawaka

@MishawakaFIRE tweeted:
Train/Semi Logan & Conrail tracks.Area of 4th street. Avoid area. MFD/ MPD on scene.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: Train vs Semi in Mishawaka (train wins)

Unread post by justin_gram »

Looks like it was an eastbound intermodal on track 2, by looking at the pictures. Happened right there at the CD 433 signals. Looks like northbound crossing signal was taken out.
The cab of that truck is destroyed... No way the guy would of walked away if was still in there.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Per WNDU:

An eastbound train hit the cab of a semi that was going north on Logan in Mishawaka on Friday.
The truck driver jumped out before the train hit the semi.
Drivers are advised to use Ironwood to get under the train tracks.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Train- ... 31001.html

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

justin_gram wrote:Looks like it was an eastbound intermodal on track 2, by looking at the pictures. Happened right there at the CD 433 signals. Looks like northbound crossing signal was taken out.
The cab of that truck is destroyed... No way the guy would of walked away if was still in there.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Was this near a intersection with the tracks right near it? It would explain that the truck may have been at a red light in traffic, and the trailer or truck can't totally clear the track's path. Then, a flying intermodal doesn't have enough time to stop, and/or assume it will move out of the way soon. Usually people running the gates do it because they think they can beat it - never ever heard of anybody stopping the run halfway and getting out and fleeing.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Tier4GEVO wrote:Was this near a intersection with the tracks right near it? It would explain that the truck may have been at a red light in traffic, and the trailer or truck can't totally clear the track's path. Then, a flying intermodal doesn't have enough time to stop, and/or assume it will move out of the way soon. Usually people running the gates do it because they think they can beat it - never ever heard of anybody stopping the run halfway and getting out and fleeing.
The nearest traffic lights are blocks away.
https://goo.gl/maps/BrjU1da4UeC2

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

I live about a mile from where this happened. Traffic regularly backs up across the intersection. It is worse if another train has recently come through on the other track.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

BIG AMISH wrote:I live about a mile from where this happened. Traffic regularly backs up across the intersection. It is worse if another train has recently come through on the other track.
That really adds to my theory. Who commits to flooring it across the gates, then stops halfway because they're scared? Most likely a traffic jam, then he didn't pace himself enough to leave a big enough space for the trailer to fully clear the crossing.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Tier4GEVO wrote:
That really adds to my theory. ..... then he didn't pace himself enough to leave a big enough space for the trailer to fully clear the crossing.

I'm not sure how your comment relates to the accident. Did you look at the photos? The trailer wasn't hit.

http://www.livetrucking.com/wp-content/ ... /08/00.jpg
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.