CN South Bend

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

CN South Bend

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

What industries does CN serve out of their yard in South Bend? I know the local runs out of Battle Creek but was curious of what traffic it carried.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN South Bend

Unread post by AARR »

There's a very large cardboard plant east of South Bend but I don't believe it gets rail service at this time but maybe in the future...
CSXIndyLine wrote:What industries does CN serve out of their yard in South Bend? I know the local runs out of Battle Creek but was curious of what traffic it carried.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

CN doesn't have any customers in South Bend that I am aware of. As I understand the operations, the local works south from Battle Creek to South Bend and then returns the following day. There are numerous customers in the Granger and Edwardsburg area.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

AARR wrote:There's a very large cardboard plant east of South Bend but I don't believe it gets rail service at this time but maybe in the future...
CSXIndyLine wrote:What industries does CN serve out of their yard in South Bend? I know the local runs out of Battle Creek but was curious of what traffic it carried.
Stone Container? They had a two track "yard" when I was in college, and I don't recall having ever seen/heard of any traffic in or out of there at the time ('03 to '08) or since.

For the most part, traffic on the ex-GTW seemed to be lumber products to distribution centers in the Granger/Edwardsburg area.

The yard at Olivers (near Olive Street in South Bend) seemed to be a joint CN-NS facility, despite its location along the CN south of the western split of the joint line through South Bend. The buildings say CN/GTW, but NS' local power is kept there. The yard functioned as a run around point for the Kalamazoo to South Bend local, which seems to primarily haul building materials like lumber.
~ Charles W.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:The yard at Olivers (near Olive Street in South Bend) seemed to be a joint CN-NS facility, despite its location along the CN south of the western split of the joint line through South Bend. The buildings say CN/GTW, but NS' local power is kept there. The yard functioned as a run around point for the Kalamazoo to South Bend local, which seems to primarily haul building materials like lumber.
NS and CN should have separate yards. NS's is accessed off of a lead at CP 437.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

justalurker66 wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:The yard at Olivers (near Olive Street in South Bend) seemed to be a joint CN-NS facility, despite its location along the CN south of the western split of the joint line through South Bend. The buildings say CN/GTW, but NS' local power is kept there. The yard functioned as a run around point for the Kalamazoo to South Bend local, which seems to primarily haul building materials like lumber.
NS and CN should have separate yards. NS's is accessed off of a lead at CP 437.
Remnant of the Kanakee Belt. It took off at Bend Tower just to the south of the GTW.