BNSF derailment/fire - 2 trains

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

BNSF derailment/fire - 2 trains

Unread post by ~Z~ »

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/20 ... -panhandle
Happened near Panhandle Texas. Pictures show many intermodal containers on fire.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BNSF derailment/fire - 2 trains

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

~Z~ wrote:http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/20 ... -panhandle
Happened near Panhandle Texas. Pictures show many intermodal containers on fire.
One of the crew members jumped, 3 are still missing as of 5pm. Doesn't look to good. I'd really like to know how this happened. Not too often a head on happens.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Tier4GEVO wrote:
~Z~ wrote:http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/20 ... -panhandle
One of the crew members jumped, 3 are still missing as of 5pm. Doesn't look to good. I'd really like to know how this happened. Not too often a head on happens.
Especially on double track CTC. It will be interesting to see what happened and how PTC could've prevented this one...
~ Charles W.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It was just two years ago that two UP trains collided head on in Oklahoma, killing three, and one jumped and lived.

Also, the BNSF spokesman said the speed limit in the area was 70 mph. I didn't know that freight trains ran 70 mph. Maybe he was referring to passenger trains.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

hoborich wrote:It was just two years ago that two UP trains collided head on in Oklahoma, killing three, and one jumped and lived.

Also, the BNSF spokesman said the speed limit in the area was 70 mph. I didn't know that freight trains ran 70 mph. Maybe he was referring to passenger trains.
Freights do fly by at 70 on those main lines out west.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

hoborich wrote:It was just two years ago that two UP trains collided head on in Oklahoma, killing three, and one jumped and lived.

Out on the BNSF, 70 mph (as long as clear signals and no crossovers) track speed can be met very frequently. BNSF intermodals can easily run 70 on most parts of the Transcon line, with limits in some parts.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

hoborich wrote:Also, the BNSF spokesman said the speed limit in the area was 70 mph. I didn't know that freight trains ran 70 mph. Maybe he was referring to passenger trains.
I've heard the passenger speed limit on several BNSF lines is actually 79mph, or 10 mph more than the freights travel at. It was one factor that would've worked against chasing the cancelled 765 trip to Galesburg last weekend.
~ Charles W.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I've heard the passenger speed limit on several BNSF lines is actually 79mph, or 10 mph more than the freights travel at. It was one factor that would've worked against chasing the cancelled 765 trip to Galesburg last weekend.
Actually, there are segments of the Transcon where the SW Chief can do 90mph, the fastest Amtrak segment outside the NEC and lines currently being upgraded in MI and IL. I don't know the exact segments but some trackage in Missouri is included and there may be more.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

The two employees who perished are 59 and 52 years of age. Although it is not an official ruling yet, it is assumed that the third employee (not been identified yet) has also passed.

The NTSB has launched a big investigation as to determine the root causes, ways of presentation, and will inspect many different elements regarding the crew, locomotive, track, signals, and the phase of health the crews were in, as sleep deprivation has not been unheard of.

Those are the facts.

Before I begin, I am not stating the following as factual and/or my opinion. This is strictly the speculation that is being discussed about the crash circulating around the web.

- BNSF train went through both an approach and a red signal.
- Signal failure
- No contact with dispatcher

I cannot presume anything, because the case is still very fresh and so many details have not been released.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Apparently the FRA released a bulletin regarding the accident, which was issued to certain railroad employees. There was also a short explanation on TrainOrders regarding the situation. Apparently one train was being run around the other train, the train being run around was supposed to be taking a siding for the meet. Not being familiar with operations in that area, the explanation didn't make much sense to me, but as the investigation proceeds I hope it will become clearer.

I haven't heard anyone mention that the third missing crew member was recovered. Is there any word as to when they expect to recover her, or if they have already done so?
~ Charles W.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Apparently the FRA released a bulletin regarding the accident, which was issued to certain railroad employees. There was also a short explanation on TrainOrders regarding the situation. Apparently one train was being run around the other train, the train being run around was supposed to be taking a siding for the meet. Not being familiar with operations in that area, the explanation didn't make much sense to me, but as the investigation proceeds I hope it will become clearer.

I haven't heard anyone mention that the third missing crew member was recovered. Is there any word as to when they expect to recover her, or if they have already done so?
3rd crew member Lara Taylor, the conductor on the WB one, has been declared dead and the search has been discontinued. Hasn't been found yet.

It's believed that she was right behind the man who jumped off, however she didn't make it regardless of her actions.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is speculation her body was consumed in the fire
Tier4GEVO wrote:3rd crew member Lara Taylor, the conductor on the WB one, has been declared dead and the search has been discontinued. Hasn't been found yet.

It's believed that she was right behind the man who jumped off, however she didn't make it regardless of her actions.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Should be something left that was not consumed in the fire. Bones, teeth, switch keys, watch, other metal objects.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".