Waterloo Amtrak Shelter

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Waterloo Amtrak Shelter

Unread post by jrgerber »

Construction around the area is now completed.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

It looks nice. It was supposed to have be opened last week. Although, in my honest opinion, I feel it would be better served if the platform is eventually re-located to where the station has been re-located.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

The finishing touches are being done to the Amtrak Depot in Waterloo.. long due !
Attachments
DSC_5744 (2).JPG
DSC_5754 (2).JPG
DSC_5749 (2).JPG

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Okay that is going to be the bomb for trainwatching.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

TrainWatcher wrote:It looks nice. It was supposed to have be opened last week. Although, in my honest opinion, I feel it would be better served if the platform is eventually re-located to where the station has been re-located.
Not disagreeing with you but that location was on railroad property, nor was there enough suitable land around the former site. Actually would had been nice had they taken the former depot to the other side of the tracks where the former lumber yard was located. that site is at grade with the tracks and there was plenty real estate. However the site it is at it a good use of property and if the wait is long there is a playground across the street !

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Notch 8 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:It looks nice. It was supposed to have be opened last week. Although, in my honest opinion, I feel it would be better served if the platform is eventually re-located to where the station has been re-located.
Not disagreeing with you but that location was on railroad property, nor was there enough suitable land around the former site. Actually would had been nice had they taken the former depot to the other side of the tracks where the former lumber yard was located. that site is at grade with the tracks and there was plenty real estate. However the site it is at it a good use of property and if the wait is long there is a playground across the street !
It probably has to do with the set-up of the interlocking and crossovers for 1-2 track on the West end of the platform, and the 2-1 track crossover right where the depot was re-located. Looking at current Google Maps of the site, there just wasn't a good spot to relocate it. Even on the south side, with the way the crossovers are it would've been a pain. It would probably have been needed to have been moved east of Wayne Street to be any help on the southside. Fun fact: On the NYC, the only Amtrak served station located on the south side (not serviced by 2 platforms) is Elyria.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I stopped by Waterloo this afternoon ... station opens one hour before the train but the walkway on the south side of the building is open.

The parking between the building and the Amtrak shelter has been blocked off with a fence. The parking immediately west of the shelter has a curb to bounce over and posted no parking signs (yet has several cars there). Further west the curb is at pavement height so there is no bounce.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Waterloo officially opened yesterday. There is a caretaker there that handles the passengers in and out for the 4 trains.