Traverse City to Leelanau Co.

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Traverse City to Leelanau Co.

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I've been doing some research on the line that ran North out of TC. There are numerous references to "Rennie Station" where the line started, then went on up to Suttons Bay and Northport. Anyone know where this place was?

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traverse City to Leelanau Co.

Unread post by Michael »

USGS topo maps from '57 & '87 show that Rennies Station was in Greilickville. Rennie Road in Greilickville https://goo.gl/maps/8eCQCBnftq22

Also, Here is an article that explains the name Rennie's Station and the storage tank bulit in the 1930's
http://archives.record-eagle.com/2001/oct/15gassta.htm

James Sofonia

Michael thanks for the foot work on that answer. Interesting articles.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I was up there a couple of years ago and seem to recall some rails still in the ground near an old depot. Is that in Northport or am I thinking of somewhere else?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

J T wrote:I was up there a couple of years ago and seem to recall some rails still in the ground near an old depot. Is that in Northport or am I thinking of somewhere else?
Northport. Was working near Suttons Bay this week and went to Northport Wednesday evening. Rails sticking out of ground where they would have crossed a creek just north of the station, now a residence.
This line is now a very nice paved rail trail from downtown Traverse City to just north of Suttons Bay.
Last edited by SW on Sat May 28, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owosso Steve

James Sofonia

J T wrote:I was up there a couple of years ago and seem to recall some rails still in the ground near an old depot. Is that in Northport or am I thinking of somewhere else?
I can't guess where you might have see rails. A greedy contractor was salvaging every inch of those rails in the mid 80's. Northport had developed a park green area over the ROW and this guy wanted to carve up the place just before a 4th of july celebration. They had to get a court order to stop the operation that would endanger the public during the event. He later returned to finish the job. Northport later paved over the area for a marina parking lot. The ROW in Suttons bay is completely paved over the entire town except a small area around the depot. Maybe that is where you saw something.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Pixl wrote:
I can't guess where you might have see rails. A greedy contractor was salvaging every inch of those rails in the mid 80's. Northport had developed a park green area over the ROW and this guy wanted to carve up the place just before a 4th of july celebration. They had to get a court order to stop the operation that would endanger the public during the event. He later returned to finish the job. Northport later paved over the area for a marina parking lot. The ROW in Suttons bay is completely paved over the entire town except a small area around the depot. Maybe that is where you saw something.
Nope. Northport. See above. I cycled (and jogged) around Suttons Bay and I didn't see rails anywhere, except just north of town where the grade crossed M-22, and there were some rails still in the pavement. If there were some by the old Suttons Bay depot, I somehow missed them.
I remember the other rails that were still running up to the Northport station and went looking for them when I walked around the park the other night. When I last saw them in 1979, they were in danger of being buried in the grass, and I figured they were underneath the surface now after all these years, as there was no trace except by the creek, or removed. Now I know the rest of the story! When I was there in '79, a local told me the last train there was about 10 years before, and other sources have said last train there was 1968.
Last edited by SW on Sat May 28, 2016 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Owosso Steve

James Sofonia

SW wrote: Rails sticking out of ground where they would have crossed a creek just north of the station, now a residence.
Wow, nice find. I wonder how those got left behind.

Henry F. Burger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Henry F. Burger »

How about a little history
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad
The following information was taken from the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and History Society web site http://www.prrths.com/PRR_Default.html – PRR Chronology by Chris Baer.

Nov. 25, 1901
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad incorporated in Michigan to build from Travers City to Northport. (Church)

Oct. 2, 1902
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad obtains trackage rights from Manistee & Northeastern Railroad between Traverse City and Hatch's Siding. (Church)

Apr. 4, 1902
Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad [GR&I] agree to operate Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad. (Church)

Mar. 8, 1902
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad organized. (Church)

June 28, 1903
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad opens between Northport and Hatch's Crossing, Mich., with trackage rights over Manistee & Northeastern between Hatch's Crossing and Traverse City; controlled and operated by GR&I without agreement; soon after establish car ferry across Lake Michigan between Northport and Manistique; unsuccessful and withdrawn later in year. (Church - opens for revenue passenger service 7/1 with through car from Northland Limited - tt)

Northport-Manistique, Mich., car ferry revived.

Apr. 17, 1907
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad sold at foreclosure to Union Trust Company of Detroit. ( , RRG)

Sep. 19, 1908
Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railway incorporated as reorganization of TCL&M Railroad. (9/14, filed 9/19)

Northport-Manistique, Mich., car ferry discontinued.

Mar. 1, 1914
Grand Rapids & Indiana terminates operation of (and disposes of interest in?) Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique Railroad, Traverse City to Northport. (Check church!)

May 23, 1919
Leelanau Transit Company incorporated to reorganize Traverse City, Leelanau & Manistique; eventually becomes part of Pere Marquette/C&O System. (RRMich)

Henry F. Burger
Railroadfan...fan

Some more History -
Board of Directors meeting Aug. 6, 1903

Whereas, it is diemed desireable by this company to negotiate contract for, or construct and build at Northport and Manistique such docks, slip, racks and approaches as may be necessary for transacting the business of this company, therefore be it.

Resolved, that R.R. Westbeauy, President and D.W. Kanfinau, Vice-President, are hereby authorized on behalf of this company, to contract for, negotiate or construct and build such docks, slip, track and approaches upon the property of this company at Northport and Manistique as may be necessary to transact the business of the company, with full power and authority to pay for same out of the funds of this company.

Whereas this company has negotiated with the Traverse City Leelanau & Manistique Railroad company a railroad corporation organized and existing under and in purevause of the laws of the state of Michigan, for a ninety nine (99) year lease of certain property situate in the township of Leelanau, county of Leelanau and the State of Michigan, purchase by the Traverse City Leelanau and Manistique Railroad company from Arthur W Leslie and Hannah A. Leslie his wife bearing date January 27, 1902, and recorded in The Register of Deeds office in the county of Leelanau and State of Michigan, on the 17th day of October A.R. 1902, in liber 27 of deeds on pages 411 and 412, therefore be it -

Resolved that this company accept said leave and hereby authorizes its President and Secretary to accept said lease on behalf of this company accordingly.

Whereas, the Traverse City Leelanau and Manistique Railroad Company, a railroad corporation organized and existing under and in pursuance of the laws of the State of Michigan, desires to enter into a contact with this company agreeing that it will not engage in carrying on a car ferry and transfer business by water and will not make or enter into any contract with any person, firm or corporation for or in relation to the transportation or transfer of freight or passengers by water without the consent of this company, and it being desired for the best interest of this company to accept said offer and enter into such contract, therefore be it.

Whereas, the Traverse City Leelanau and Manistique Railroad Company desires this company to construct certain tracks, side tracks and switches connecting the tracks of that company with the docks of this company at Northport and offer and agrees to pay the cost and expense of same on its right of way to connections with this company's dock tracks, and to perpetually maintain said tracks connections and also maintain the dock tracks and connections of the Manistique, Marquette and Northern Railroad Company, with the understanding that said docks tracks and tracks connections on the property of this company remains the sole property of said Manistique, Marquette and Northern Railroad Company therefore be it.

Whereas, this company has negotiated with the Traverse City Leelanau and Manistique Railroad Company for a right of way and easement which it has over, across and upon Third Street (extended) in the platted village of Northport, in the township of Leelanau, Leelanau county and state of Michigan, extending from Water Street easterly to Grand Traverse Bay in said bounty, therefore be it.

Resolved that the President and Secretary of this company are hereby authorized and direct to accept and assignment and transfer of said rights and easement.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SW wrote:
Northport. Was working near Suttons Bay this week and went to Northport Wednesday evening. Rails sticking out of ground where they would have crossed a creek just north of the station, now a residence.
Thanks for the photo, Steve. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia

Wow, lots of history on this little line. My own history goes back to when I was younger than smart. I rode my snowmobile from Suttons bay to Northport right between the rails (still in at the time) running over saplings a good part of the way. Some were over an inch dia. that I had to go around. I made it almost to the village when I saw a home owner giving me a stern look. I decided to exit and take the shoulder of the road back.

Henry F. Burger
Railroadfan...fan

I'm looking for a track layout at Northport, any will help.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Here's a pass from this line.
RR Pass Collector

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

If you look in my pics, there are other sections of track left in Northport. They are south of town along South Shore rd.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

James Sofonia

MIGN-Todd wrote:If you look in my pics, there are other sections of track left in Northport. They are south of town along South Shore rd.
Ok, sounds good. Where are these pictures?

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

In the gallery...
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/profile-784.html
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... play_media
The next two pictures after this one show some rails as well.
Owosso Steve