Grand Rapids Eastern boxcars?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Rapids Eastern boxcars?

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

On rrpicturearchives and the Fallen Flag railroad photos, if you look under GRE, you can find a few pictures of ex-Milwaukee boxcars with GR marks, shot in the late 90s. However, most of the pictures are from New England. There is one shot on the Fallen Flags site of a GR boxcar in Greenville. Were these ever intended for use here in Michigan or was RailTex just using their reporting mark? I just got a couple Milwaukee cars in HO that foot the bill and was thinking of patching them
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Grand Rapids Eastern boxcars?

Unread post by AARR »

I was aware of MMRR box cars (ex-GTW) used in Greenville appliance service but not GRE. Very interesting.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I was aware of MMRR box cars (ex-GTW) used in Greenville appliance service but not GRE. Very interesting.
I saw these a long time ago on Fallen Flags but never gave it a second thought. However seeing the HO MILW cars I just got jogged my memory. Heres the one that was supposedly shot in Greenville
Nick

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There were also supposedly some Michigan Shore gondolas. I've got a lot of pics I've collected of the MMRR, GR and MS cars, I'll try to post them later.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I would love to see a picture of a MS gon!

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I believe the GR leased a small pool of boxes (20?)for a paper recycling operation in the warehouse of the RT London building (former Bergsma Furniture) . The guy was from Chitown, had a drop dead gorgeous "administrative assistant" but ended up talking a good story but the business never really materialized. GR got stuck with the lease. GR Ron probably remembers the car that caught fire at the dock :roll: Some of the cars sat at the Meijers siding for a while.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3073249

The MS gons always ended up in Muskegon, though there was no use for them other than using them as buffer cars when going to Webb. I seem to recall something about another railroad using those reporting marks and the cars would get sent to Muskegon by mistake, though that doesn't make any sense. In reality, it was probably RailTex using the marks on their gondola fleet.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Raildudes dad wrote:I believe the GR leased a small pool of boxes (20?)for a paper recycling operation in the warehouse of the RT London building (former Bergsma Furniture) . The guy was from Chitown, had a drop dead gorgeous "administrative assistant" but ended up talking a good story but the business never really materialized. GR got stuck with the lease. GR Ron probably remembers the car that caught fire at the dock :roll: Some of the cars sat at the Meijers siding for a while.
There's the explanation I was looking for! :lol:

As for the MS and MMRR gons, Id see them all the time on the IORY when I was in college in Lima. I'm still looking for pics but I think theyre some of the pics I lost :(
Nick

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

We would get the MS gons from time to time at Wyoming. They were actually Michigan Southern gons for scrap loading in Sturgis and Michigan Shore didn't want them. We would send them that way and they would send them back.
Thats the story the yardmaster found out anyway.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

We used to see Erie Lackawanna gons come through Lansing once in a while on the CSX.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

jrgerber wrote:We used to see Erie Lackawanna gons come through Lansing once in a while on the CSX.
We more then likely aquired them with the Conrail takeover. Also got a bunch of 3bay hoppers that were used in ballast service for some time. One or two was in the runaway down the hill from Elmdale to Lowell. There is a pic of one on its side at the crossing, Hudson Street? on the ex GTW main. We also had a few in the deadline in Wyoming yard for a long time.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.