trains along the CSX toledo branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

trains along the CSX toledo branch

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Hi everybody I was thinking how many trains go on the CSX Toledo branch. Do they run on mid saturday afternoons? My aunt and uncle live out there I was thinking about stopping by there to see one train next time I go out there. What are the symbols and what times do they run? I never saw one train out there besides when i was very young. One time I only saw hopper cars at a grain elevator at Dunbridge. I think that Galatea is too far away so please dont suggest that

Thanks CSXBOY

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: trains along the CSX toledo branch

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Galatea is the best spot on the Branch to see ANYTHING.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSXBOY wrote:I think that Galatea is too far away so please dont suggest that
TrainWatcher wrote:Galatea is the best spot on the Branch to see ANYTHING.
TW...he said don't suggest that :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

what part of the branch are we talking abut here. south of Galatea will have more than north of it
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

North of Galatea it is:
Q219 south
Q218 north
Q257 south
H719 local both ways
Q131 south*
Q132 north*

*Both of these could run the C&O to the east any day, it varies which way they go.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Q257 has also been running as a Toledo to Chicago train via the Toledo sub also here this past week.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

north of Bowling Green'

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

H719/H718 has been annulled, that traffic is now handled on Q218 and Q219

DT&I wrote:North of Galatea it is:
Q219 south
Q218 north
Q257 south
H719 local both ways
Q131 south*
Q132 north*

*Both of these could run the C&O to the east any day, it varies which way they go.
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

4-6 dailys with the occasional run through. 8pm seemed liked a good time to see Q218 a while back, but I haven't had a chance to get out there in awhile. Honestly Galatea is your best shot if you want to pass the time, other than that you have to get lucky
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Re: trains along the CSX toledo branch & Scott Lawn

Unread post by jallenp7 »

the new Heritage Co-op behind Scotts has began receiving cars per their website, there are also two new signals on the Scott Lawn behind Scotts, assume they have installed remote switch in and out of the facility.

http://www.heritagecooperative.com/pres ... earch-Farm

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Yes. It's automatic that once the last car clears after so many seconds the turnout locks up normal position. Consolidated Grain & Barge at Defiance Ohio has same set up.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

The both displayed Red on Saturday Night, is that normal?

not familiar with the rules on this type of set up.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

If I were me I would camp out at Ridgeway

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The I&O is supposed to lose around 25% of their Heritage Co-op traffic off the Mechanicsburg and West Liberty to Marysville according to what they informed WESTCO. Might end up being more that if CSX decides to play around with rates Heritage gets for loading at Marysville versus the WESTCO lines.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From what I've heard (not insider info, though) Michigan elevators will be shifting some traffic to NS due to CSX price increases. Again, I don't have inside info.
midland sub wrote:The I&O is supposed to lose around 25% of their Heritage Co-op traffic off the Mechanicsburg and West Liberty to Marysville according to what they informed WESTCO. Might end up being more that if CSX decides to play around with rates Heritage gets for loading at Marysville versus the WESTCO lines.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

It's no secret that CSX raised grain rates effective Nov 1. Anything under 90 cars is now billed at single car rates. There's still quite a few places down south that can't handle 90 cars and have decided to sit and wait out CSX, switch to NS if able or swallow the extra cost of the 65 car train. Then of course grain prices suck too at the moment.

Grain moved pretty good on the I&O until November. Two 65 car trains showed up the first of November and they were it for almost a month other than two for Cargill. South Chuck loaded a 90 car for a Tyson Chicken feed mill in North Carolina and once it unloaded it just came back and went to Mechanicsburg and will go back to Tyson once loaded. Cargill did something interesting, they sold soybeans to Bunge. They loaded 63 cars last week at Bloomingburg. They were pulled Saturday and went up the DT&I Sunday to Lima and the CFE for Decatur. Premier in Sabina on the Midland was loading 15 cars of soybeans today for Bunge on the CFE. So it looks like they can get around the CSX rates on some stuff.

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

I sure the loop track helps loading also, in Mechanicsburg, they have to cut the cars to 3 or for at a time, a lot more labor and movements involved.

I hope they keep the Burg around, will miss the trains by Mom's house

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

The soybeans moving to Bunge would be a specialty bean with a high oil content used for cooking. Bunge is the only one processing them at this time and that may explain the unusual move. A sizable amount were grown in Ohio this year due to the extra premium being paid.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

Updated Toledo Branch symbol list:

North of Galatea

H719-both ways (Mon-Fri to Galatea, Tues-Thurs to BG)
Q131- daily
Q132- daily
Q256- Mon?-Sat
Q257- Mon-Sat

- Occasionally Q131/132 may run the C&O. This is rare
- Stone trains run though now and then to/from Avon or Columbus in the form of W057 or W097
- Q636/Q637 run the Branch when C&O crews are unavailable. Both trains ran daily on the Branch until September
- Sometimes H719 will run all the way to Dunbridge to work

Due to the shakeup at North Baltimore, I am no longer sure what runs South of Galatea, so I will defer to the experts
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

636 and 637 were running via the Scottslawn and Toledo Branch because they worked Kenton. They are now back to running via the C&O.