Porter Junction and Rileys railhouse

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Porter Junction and Rileys railhouse

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

heypal6878 wrote:Your story seems a bit hyped. NS, Porter and Chesterton police are quite far from the millitancy your story suggests
Story is true not hyped! Don't think the police were local, most likely railroad detectives. I was up there two years ago. At that time Homeland Security was watching trains. Maybe this is what that was all about. Not sure as the guy who was running my license was not a very friendly chap. I'm sure if the engineer of a train sees someone around the tracks filming or something suspicious they can call a number to have it checked out.

Sounds like NS cops. Especially if the other guy was arrested for trespassing. I can't recall seeing a marked NS police car west of South Bend before, unless they were intentionally making their presence known, but I have seen uniformed NS police officers driving unmarked black cars/SUVs. Unlike cops in other areas, they're not an overly friendly bunch (and it's no wonder, considering the areas they work in). And like MQT said, if it was a mile west of Riley's, it sounds like the other guy was on NS property, not necessarily at the diamond, but in one of the MOW lots.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You won't get bothered at Porter, even on NS property, as long as you're at the designated spot at 15th Street, and stay near to the road and off the tracks.

Maintainers, inspectors, MOW, Porter, Chesterton and even marked NS Police have gone by in over 48 hours in my experience and not even a look. One of the NS cops even waved.

Don't go where they say not to go.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

MQT3001 wrote:You won't get bothered at Porter, even on NS property, as long as you're at the designated spot at 15th Street, and stay near to the road and off the tracks.
The report by heypal6878 is not entirely clear (perhaps an "I was at X street and the other guy was arrested at Y street" would be a better way of reporting the incident than "a mile west of Riley's").
heypal6878 wrote: Example when I was there a guy was setting up camera equipment to film a NS mixed freight train going west bound. After the train passed Two black undercover cars pulled up. The cops talked to the guy with the camera and before you know it he was arrested. Not sure what the issue was but not more than a minute one of the undercover guys came down the tracks in my direction. Since I didn't have a camera the cop asked me what I was doing there, checked my id as I sat by my car. Then he came back and told me to get away from the tracks. I asked him what was going on with the other guy and he said he made a big mistake. I asked if it is okay to film trains and he said there is a place for that and this isn't it.
Without further details "best guess" is that the guy with the camera was at Wagner Rd in a posted "No Trespassing" area. Where was heypal6878? Sitting by his car (without a camera) on 16th St (parallel and south of the NS tracks from Wagner Rd/North Jackson) or was heypal6878 at the "designated" 15th St crossing?

Where on 15th St is the "designated" parking ... it looks like it is all business' private lots to me - and just a decision to trespass on someone else's property to park instead of the railroad's.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Not sure about 16th street? 15th is the first crossing east of Wagner. The "designated" but unmarked zone for railfans is the SE corner of this crossing, where the old EJE yard was. I'd say to stay within ~30 feet of the road, or west of the new ballast dump. Stay at least 15 feet off the closest track. Again, never had any issues. I was once talked to by a maintainer at Wagner who specifically said this, and given the numerous times I and other times have done it, I have no reason is disbelieve him.

To some extent, the people going to Riley's has cut down on the numbers at 15th. JUST FINE WITH ME.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I am only going to Porter when the Amtrak's operate, coal trains operate, and Norfolk Southern Michigan line local operate. Because I am staying 3 nights at Riley's Railhouse I don't really need to go Porter to see the Chicago line and porter branch trains

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

There is exactly zero wrong with the junction and sitting around it.

IMHO the CSX and Amtrak provide most of the variety at Porter. Unless you're REALLY on the ATCS and scanner, you might be hard-pressed to run over to 482 when those Amtrak's run. Plus, they do run a lot. I'd say 7-11 and the Jct will get you just about everything down there most mornings.

Word of wisdom: you can forecast Amtrak's by their arrival/departure from CUS. Scheduled, it is an hour from CUS to Porter, almost exactly. Obviously you can play conservative with times but even without track-a-train or ATCS you can be surprisingly accurate to Amtrak's arrival, usually within 5 minutes over an hour out.

Good luck!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Getting back to my post the guy who was arrested for filming a freight train was on w 15th street by the tracks. I was on North Jackson Blvd. One of the reasons I was there as a buddy told me this is a good place to watch trains. And a matter of fact I was not in my car and had a camera and did take some shots and posted them on another forum site. Not being from Chesterton I really don't know the area very well but really the town is very nice, people up there are friendly and I ran into some rail guys up there as well and they couldn't be more helpful.

The guy who was arrested that day was filming on 15st by the tracks. The offices that arrested him were in black SUVs not Chesterton Police maybe rail police I don't know. He was on the tracks a few time going back and forth across the tracks maybe to get a better angle. That day I saw two passenger trains, several freight trains, mixed freights from NS, and CN. Even seen on train that had several military tanks being hauled. I like to go back up there in the fall this year if I can get some time off. Great place to view trains.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

It could be he was wanted for something totally unrelated to rail fanning and/or trespassing too.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So what crossing is the best to railfan at Porter I am thinking about going to Wagner road. I noticed on the street view map that there is a huge gravel area. Am I allowed to go in there? Or Can I park my car off the side of the road? When does the south shore operate? If I have spare time, I want to see the south shore in Michigan City IN Also I am coming from Livonia MI So it takes about 2 hours 45 minutes just to get to Indiana. Does the south shore even operate through Michigan City. towards the evening, I am also thinking about going to Willow Creek junction to see CSX. So you guys are telling me that Porter Junction that the Amtrak trains and the NS local come through in the morning? IF so I guess I will go to Griffith on Wednesday afternoon Then on Thursday I am not going to go to Porter instead I might be going to Wellsboro. You know why I am going to go Porter Junction everyday. Because I see most of the action at rileys railhouse. That's the hotel I am staying at on September 1st (afternoon) September 4th (morning)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

CSXBOY wrote:When does the south shore operate? If I have spare time, I want to see the south shore in Michigan City IN Also I am coming from Livonia MI So it takes about 2 hours 45 minutes just to get to Indiana. Does the south shore even operate through Michigan City.
Well, it's a passenger railroad, so....
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

CSXBOY wrote:So what crossing is the best to railfan at Porter I am thinking about going to Wagner road. I noticed on the street view map that there is a huge gravel area. Am I allowed to go in there? Or Can I park my car off the side of the road? When does the south shore operate? If I have spare time, I want to see the south shore in Michigan City IN Also I am coming from Livonia MI So it takes about 2 hours 45 minutes just to get to Indiana. Does the south shore even operate through Michigan City. towards the evening, I am also thinking about going to Willow Creek junction to see CSX. So you guys are telling me that Porter Junction that the Amtrak trains and the NS local come through in the morning? IF so I guess I will go to Griffith on Wednesday afternoon Then on Thursday I am not going to go to Porter instead I might be going to Wellsboro. You know why I am going to go Porter Junction everyday. Because I see most of the action at rileys railhouse. That's the hotel I am staying at on September 1st (afternoon) September 4th (morning)
Go to the south shore website for that schedule. And same with Amtrak, go to amtraks website.

The gravel area is a big NO. I've seen people go in it to take pictures and nothing happen, but JUST STAY OUT. I like to stand over by the Conrail High Car detector, which is directly north of the junction at Sexton Ave/Lincoln St. You can see it all.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I found another good spot Ogden Dunes south shore station. Is that bad area? Because the Chicago line and the south shore run side by side. That's where I am thinking about going if I have spare time

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

CSXBOY wrote:I found another good spot Ogden Dunes south shore station. Is that bad area? Because the Chicago line and the south shore run side by side. That's where I am thinking about going if I have spare time
That would be a perfect spot.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Ogden Dunes is fine. Lots of free parking and you'll see trains. It's safe, with people coming and going constantly. The local police will swing through the parking lot from time to time and I've never been hassled. Not a very photogenic spot, but spending half a day will be fine. You may want to start a bit east on the South Shore to get some street running in Michigan City (11th St. west of Lafayette) and get a shot at the Beverly Shores station between Mich. City and Ogden Dunes. It's worth it. There can be some decent South Shore shots 1/2 to 1 mile or so west of the Ogden Dunes station too.
Get the South Shore & Amtrak schedules off the internet. Remember, Indiana is on Central time there so the times are off by an hour from your Michigan watch. Amtrak schedules too if you go after them.
RR Pass Collector

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

I don't know why you asked about Wagner, when I already told you that it was a no-no, and 15th was the crossing to be at.

I recommend a little more research and connect some dots. I don't have any issues answering questions if they aren't redundant. Actually, one of the best ways to scout is just type in where you want to go along with "trains" into Youtube; or search railpictures.net. That'll show you a lot of what there is to see.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

heypal6878 wrote:He was on the tracks a few time going back and forth across the tracks maybe to get a better angle.
On the tracks would be a no no ... behind the gates is better.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I noticed from MQT3001 train videos on YouTube that there are two coal trains that operate on the Grand Rapids sub through Porter (N910 and E949) correct? When do N910 and E949 operate what times of the day?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

CSXBOY wrote:I noticed from MQT3001 train videos on YouTube that there are two coal trains that operate on the Grand Rapids sub through Porter (N910 and E949) correct? When do N910 and E949 operate what times of the day?
Lately the westbound coal empties have been running once every afternoon (e949 or e950). Coal loads (n910 or n903) can come anytime (eastbound).

On the railroad, you really can't expect anything freight to be somewhere at sometime. They run when they run.

I know you were talking about the Amtrak MI Line locals earlier running in morning... That can run at anytime. No specific time.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSXBOY wrote:I noticed from MQT3001 train videos on YouTube that there are two coal trains that operate on the Grand Rapids sub through Porter (N910 and E949) correct? When do N910 and E949 operate what times of the day?
Like I said, CSX GR sub coal trains don't have a schedule. They run whenever they're ready, on railroad time!

The AML local departs from Burns Harbor after 351, 365 have come off and 350 has gone on. Listen for the radio traffic wen they get permission from Chicago West. Or just watch ATCS

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

NICTD was busing passengers between Carroll Street and Dune Park today. There is construction along 11th Street in Michigan City and Amtrak is working on the diamond. Rush hour trains weren't affected.