Porter Junction and Rileys railhouse

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Porter Junction and Rileys railhouse

Unread post by CSXBOY »

hey guys i am going to Chesterton on september 1st and I was thinking about how much traffic goes on the michigan line what times do they come by? Also about the csx trains on the Grand Rapids sub and what times they go by. I will be staying at riley's railhouse from September 1st ( early afternoon) Through September 4th (late morning) oh yeah when are the best times to railfan at the riley's railhouse. Should I get up at the crackadawn and watch trains or should I sleep in. I am certainly not going to Pine Junction because its Gary IN I heard its very busy. Also Gary is the number one murder capitol of the midwest.

Please tell me everything i asked

thanks CSXBOY

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Re: Porter Junction and Rileys railhouse

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

http://www.amtrak.com/home
for the amtraks. Simple math and adventure will give you an answer
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Good Now I got the amtraks. Thanks. I heard about Q326 and Q327. Q326 goes to Grand Rapids from Chicago and Q327 goes to Chicago from Grand Rapids. But what times do they go by Porter Junction. And Q335 used to go to Toledo to Grand Rapids ( via the Plymouth sub) now it goes to Clearing yard. What about the coal trains what symbols and what times. Lastly the occasional NS local what symbol and what times

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Since you're going there anyway, this sounds like a great opportunity for you to find out and report back to us.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NS is always busy, no particular times for that. But, the morning is best on average with the Amtrak's.

If you're at Riley's, you won't see the AML or CSX GRS.

Q335 no longer runs to Clearing. 326/327 are both nocturnal 95% of the time.

IMHO, Riley's stinks for train watching. They put these dumb posts up and the scenery isn't any better than at 482, where you can get ALL the trains. I'd say spend 7-11 at 482 at least once.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railohio wrote:Since you're going there anyway, this sounds like a great opportunity for you to find out and report back to us.
This is the only answer necessary for the thread.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

As MQT said, 482 (Porter Jct) is just about a mile west of Rileys. I also like the grade crossing a couple of blocks east of Rileys. There is a nice city park there to hang out in between trains, and a couple of places to eat in downtown Chesterton.

I'm assuming you have a car? If so you also might want to check out the South Shore. The Ogden Dunes area is about 10 miles northwest of Chesterton and there you will see 90% of the trains that go through Porter plus the parallel South Shore. Michigan City, where the South Shore runs down the middle of the street is about 10 miles northeast of Chesterton.

Not sure where is best to hang out, but you also have the CSX on the old B&O main about 3-4 miles South of Chesterton if you get bored with NS.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

CSXBOY wrote: I am certainly not going to Pine Junction because its Gary IN I heard its very busy. Also Gary is the number one murder capitol of the midwest.

thanks CSXBOY
1st, Gary is not the murder capitol of the midwest, you may want to check your facts.

2nd, Pine is in a industrial/rural area. While you may have trouble with cops chasing you off railroad property, it really isn't dangerous.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

could I
\ be arrested at PIne Junction? Also what about the coal trains and the Norfolk Southern local when do they operate and what times

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

CSXBOY wrote:could I
\ be arrested at PIne Junction? Also what about the coal trains and the Norfolk Southern local when do they operate and what times
Yes you could be arrested at Clarke Road/Pine Junction.
Coal trains come and go whenever. They are extras with no set time at all. When the go by you they go by you...thats that.
Yeah, go there, watch the trains go by and report back. Just stay off the tracks!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Dan Cluley wrote: I'm assuming you have a car?
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that he's under the legal driving age. At least I hope he is.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

What about Canadian National at Griffith IN how busy is that place?

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

CSXBOY wrote:What about Canadian National at Griffith IN how busy is that place?
This website will answer your questions...http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

As far as the Michigan line amtraks go you will want to try to get out east of porter a ways along us 20 to see atleast 1 flying thru at 100+ mph!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I have been to Chesterton and you can be arrested. The cops up there watch for anyone on or near the tracks. Example when I was there a guy was setting up camera equipment to film a NS mixed freight train going west bound. After the train passed Two black undercover cars pulled up. The cops talked to the guy with the camera and before you know it he was arrested. Not sure what the issue was but not more than a minute one of the undercover guys came down the tracks in my direction. Since I didn't have a camera the cop asked me what I was doing there, checked my id as I sat by my car. Then he came back and told me to get away from the tracks. I asked him what was going on with the other guy and he said he made a big mistake. I asked if it is okay to film trains and he said there is a place for that and this isn't it.

What ever you do stay away from Industrial Parks, don't get close to the tracks, don't get on the tracks, stay away from crossing gates. The guy who was arrested was near crossing gates only one mile west of Riley's.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Probably parked west of Wagner inside the junction which is posted by NS and if somebody from NS is around they'll stop and talk. Parking at 15th street is the designated spot, and they're actually fine with you getting quite close and it is all their property. Respect and you'll be just fine.

Your story seems a bit hyped. NS, Porter and Chesterton police are quite far from the millitancy your story suggests.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I am going to four junctions Griffith, Willow Creek, Porter and Wellsboro. How busy is the CSX barr sub when are the best times to see trains and the Coal trains in Porter when do they operate. When I get to Chesterton on September 1 in the afternoon, I am thinking about going to Portage have dinner there, then go to Willow Creek Junction. Then on Wednesday morning I am also thinking about going to Wellsboro come back to the railhouse sometime In the afternoon. Then Thursday morning I am also thinking about going to Griffith come back sometime in the afternoon then go to Porter junction every evening. Do the coal trains even run sometimes at Porter Junction When do they operate. I am actually staying at Riley's railhouse. When does the Norfolk Southern local at Porter Junction operate and is Griffith busy on a Thursday morning into the early afternoon? Is the CSX barr sub busy in the evening? And is it busy in the late morning?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I normally park on Lincoln St (north of Amtrak). I get in, get out and move on. The cops must have missed me when I have been there (always off railroad property except when using public sidewalks and roads - NEVER on the ballast).

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Coal trains run at anytime

The AML local runs in the morning EB from Burns Harbor

The Barr and CHI Line is busy all the time

Just go and watch the trains. You don't honestly need to know everything. These are hotspots win plenty of traffic. Every other question is basically answered by Chicago Rail Junctions, operationally and for setup. If you have a couple more specific questions, like the ones I answered above, then maybe but these basics are all answered by CRJ or are really insignificant given the huge traffic levels present.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Your story seems a bit hyped. NS, Porter and Chesterton police are quite far from the millitancy your story suggests[quote][/quote]

Story is true not hyped! Don't think the police were local, most likely railroad detectives. I was up there two years ago. At that time Homeland Security was watching trains. Maybe this is what that was all about. Not sure as the guy who was running my license was not a very friendly chap. I'm sure if the engineer of a train sees someone around the tracks filming or something suspicious they can call a number to have it checked out.

AS far as rail watching up there I found that Chesterton has plenty of places to watch trains safely. You can get pretty close to the tracks in several areas. There is a park right there in town. Out west there are plenty places to view trains. Mornings are the best. Mixed freight, many double stacks, car carriers as well.

Have a great time!