Pere Marquette Ionia Shops

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Pere Marquette Ionia Shops

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Michael wrote:
jrgerber wrote:So looking at the 1916 Ionia map (thanks for posting that) a couple of questions:

1. It appears the roundhouse was in the area right across where the current fairgrounds are. Is that correct?

2. We know the PM and GT tracks were side by side. Did the PM tracks go in front of the GT depot or in back?

3. Where's the PM depot in this map? I seem recall the PM depot burned down in the 1930s?

Always love photos and discussion about Greenville, Ionia, Portland, Lyons.

The roundhouse and shops would have been NE of the Fairgrounds a bit at the corner of Railroad Street & S. Jackson Street

Both depots PM & GT also appear on that map to have been next to each other on the left side of the map
I am confused. I see no Jackson St. but I do see a Jefferson St. Is that what you mean't Michael?

Which one of the buildings is the one that is supposedly left standing? And where did the line go that goes to the bottom left (SW corner) of the map?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

From the 1914 Sanborn Maps:
Ionia PM Shops 1914 Sanborn.png
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

1931:
Ionia PM Shops 1931 Sanborn.png

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

And finally 1949
Ionia PM Shops 1949 Sanborn.png
(click to enlarge on any of these...they're quite large)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

MQT1223 wrote:I am confused. I see no Jackson St. but I do see a Jefferson St. Is that what you mean't Michael?

Which one of the buildings is the one that is supposedly left standing? And where did the line go that goes to the bottom left (SW corner) of the map?

Yep. I meant Jefferson. I was looking at the current aerial photo of that area and it looks like what is labeled office & store room/warehouse on the Sanborn maps is still standing.
https://goo.gl/maps/OZINr

The 1916 topo maps shows that lines just loops back north to the main and none of the building it serviced are left standing either.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Thanks to all who posted maps, etc. Now that the former GT and a new part of the PM are being readied for trail use, its hard to imagine what it once looked like. I have a few photos prior to the GT being ripped out. Just sad there aren't more historical photos.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

jrgerber wrote:Thanks to all who posted maps, etc. Now that the former GT and a new part of the PM are being readied for trail use, its hard to imagine what it once looked like. I have a few photos prior to the GT being ripped out. Just sad there aren't more historical photos.
What part of the PM is being turned into a trail?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Here is another map from 1891 that shows good detail. The shops are listed as the D L & N. There are navigation buttons at the bottom of the map.
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... /Michigan/
Norm

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Just the part of the PM between the GT diamond and Jackson st. The part of the PM by the farm supply likely will not be part of the trail.