Fight on the CKIN

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Fight on the CKIN

Unread post by That Guy »

Thing are heating up on the CKIN. Wonder who the town is talking with regarding a new operator?

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 238219.pdf

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Fight on the CKIN

Unread post by AARR »

Can someone translate this from legalize to working man language?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

AARR, it would appear that the Town of North Judson, as owner of the track upon which the CKIN operates, wishes to replace the CKIN as the Designated Operator of the line. Further, it would also appear the CKIN has no intention of ceasing operations upon the line when their operating agreement with the town expires at the end of this year. The town wishes to expedite the decision-making process by the STB so that the ball can be rolling for a replacement operator well before the year is over. They provide precedent for such a swift decision.

It sounds rather contentious. I would guess that another operator has already been lined-up (think Watco or Pioneer-though I have absolutely NO knowledge of this issue) in an informal way but the current operator needs to be made to get out of the way first.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, RRChoad.

Anyone know anything about this line? Is their a good customer base? How often the operate? I'll Google it but if anyone can share what they know its appreciated.
From Wiki:
The Chesapeake and Indiana Railroad (reporting mark CKIN) is a Class III short-line railroad operating 33 miles (53 km) of rail line in northwestern Indiana. From the town of La Crosse, lines run northwest to the Porter County town of Malden, southeast to the Starke County towns of English Lake and North Judson, and northeast through La Porte County past Thomaston and Hanna to Wellsboro. The railroad is owned by the Town of North Judson and operated under lease by the Indiana Boxcar Corporation.

The Chesapeake and Indiana is mostly used for transporting grain from rural elevators to the mainline railroad systems. The railroad interchanges with Norfolk Southern at Thomaston and CSX at Wellsboro. The railroad moved only 700 cars on startup in 2004, and with hard work and good customer service, they have increased that to 3,000 cars in 2011, and that number is expected to grow in the coming years. When the railroad first started, the only connection with a class one was in Wellsboro, IN with the CSX. The C&I and NS soon build a connection in Thomaston to allow more cars per year and competitive shipping rates between the 2 class one's.

Rail tours are also operated on the C&I line by the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum, starting in North Judson and continuing to either English Lake or La Crosse. Visit the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum's website for more information about these excursions.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AFAIK, nothing on the N Judson end of the line. This is the former C&O of Indiana main line. It runs from N Judson to Makden, IN. Big elevator at Malden and Wellsboro. Maybe anothe small shipper at LaCrossse. Not much else on the line I don't believe. Former PM branch from Wellsboro to Lacrosse provides the connection to the outside world. CSX sold this track off in 2004. Used to be a shipper at Monterrey, IN on the former Erie. The elevator, or connecting railroad, quit service. EL is now abandoned and CSX sold the line to a couple counties. They selected Felix Powell of Indiana Boxcar as operator of the line.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, CSX.

I youtubed CKIN and it seems they have 5 or 6 engines on their roster. None are repainted or painted the same.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

AARR wrote:Thanks, CSX.

I youtubed CKIN and it seems they have 5 or 6 engines on their roster. None are repainted or painted the same.
6 axle 1st generation EMD products... Worth the effort to see them operating.. former Missabe & EJ&E Power...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Notch 8 wrote:6 axle 1st generation EMD products... Worth the effort to see them operating.. former Missabe & EJ&E Power...
Yes, those are neat. I think those are SDM's or something like that. They are rebuilt SD9's or 18's.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

CSX_CO wrote:AFAIK, nothing on the N Judson end of the line. This is the former C&O of Indiana main line. It runs from N Judson to Makden, IN. Big elevator at Malden and Wellsboro. Maybe anothe small shipper at LaCrossse. Not much else on the line I don't believe. Former PM branch from Wellsboro to Lacrosse provides the connection to the outside world. CSX sold this track off in 2004. Used to be a shipper at Monterrey, IN on the former Erie. The elevator, or connecting railroad, quit service. EL is now abandoned and CSX sold the line to a couple counties. They selected Felix Powell of Indiana Boxcar as operator of the line.
They added a wye to the NS at East Thomaston. You can see it on google.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

CSX_CO wrote:AFAIK, nothing on the N Judson end of the line. This is the former C&O of Indiana main line. It runs from N Judson to Makden, IN. Big elevator at Malden and Wellsboro. Maybe anothe small shipper at LaCrossse. Not much else on the line I don't believe. Former PM branch from Wellsboro to Lacrosse provides the connection to the outside world. CSX sold this track off in 2004. Used to be a shipper at Monterrey, IN on the former Erie. The elevator, or connecting railroad, quit service. EL is now abandoned and CSX sold the line to a couple counties. They selected Felix Powell of Indiana Boxcar as operator of the line.

His name is Powell Felix.

AlcoGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AlcoGuy »

Yep...Powell Felix of Indiana Hi Rail fame. We all know what happened there...

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I bet the next operator won't have as neat as power...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

AlcoGuy wrote:Yep...Powell Felix of Indiana Hi Rail fame. We all know what happened there...
Is that guy who flushed Indiana Hi Rail and their many branchlines down the toilet? And Is this the same Indiana Hi Rail who operated the Carrothers Secondary after Conrail in the 80's?
Exit stage left

AlcoGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AlcoGuy »

Yeah, same guy. Also owns IBCX (Indiana Box Car Corp) based out of Connersville In. Hard to understand how he/they could be selected to operate anything based upon the horrible "management" and massive downfall of IHRC. The current situation at CKIN therefore, to me, is of no surprise whatsoever.....I thought after the HiRail failure, he might have learned a thing or two but apparently not. Don't get me wrong, he is a real nice guy, i worked for HiRail for years, but he/they had a very odd way of doing things....

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

In the filing it says the town has been talking to reputable operator to take over. Anyone heard who the new operator is?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Speculation over on the IndianaRR board that the Hoosier Valley Rail Museum is going to be the new operator.

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Per the town, the museum is not the operator. They have been talking with a 3rd party operator that they claim they are very happy with.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

That Guy wrote:Per the town, the museum is not the operator. They have been talking with a 3rd party operator that they claim they are very happy with.
I could see either Pioneer or G&W taking it over as both own/operate other lines in that part of Indiana.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:
That Guy wrote:Per the town, the museum is not the operator. They have been talking with a 3rd party operator that they claim they are very happy with.
I could see either Pioneer or G&W taking it over as both own/operate other lines in that part of Indiana.
I feel Pioneer is a more likely candidate than G&W. It seems G&W is looking for larger economies of volume opportunities. 40ish miles of track and 3000ish carloads a year is in Pioneer's core competency.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

AARR wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:
I feel Pioneer is a more likely candidate than G&W. It seems G&W is looking for larger economies of volume opportunities. 40ish miles of track and 3000ish carloads a year is in Pioneer's core competency.
My thoughts exactly. Small granger Shortlines tend to be Pioneers realm while G&W tend to go for larger Shortlines or Regionals.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D