GT Locomotives

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

GT Locomotives

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Watching a Youtube video of a GT locomotive still in GT paint has me curious as to how many of them are still out there that haven't been repainted by CN. I'm guessing that you have a better chance at seeing an IC unit then a GT. It's been at least 10 years since I've seen a GT locomotive.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GT Locomotives

Unread post by Burb8145 »

There are still a sizable amount out there. In fact, I just saw one several days ago.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There are still a surprising amount out there but their numbers are slowly dwindling. I'd say there's got to be at least 30 left.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

There a handful on the old DT&I still.. I find CN's pratice of re painting them and sublettering them interesting. You can see CN painted units with GTW, EJE, IC, DMIR, ect. Reporting marks
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Ive got 53 still in GTW blue on my list.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I think there's an old thread regarding this very topic. Hmm...gonna have to search for it now.

Edit: Ah yes, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3465&p=15072&hilit=GT+paint#p15072

The thread has been bumped in the Railfanning section. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:There a handful on the old DT&I still.. I find CN's pratice of re painting them and sublettering them interesting. You can see CN painted units with GTW, EJE, IC, DMIR, ect. Reporting marks
I do find it interesting how CN repaints their equipment. It reminds me of the Chessie System. Put all the equipment under one banner withsub lettering for their respective roads. I've seen images of all the aboce reporting marks. Suprisingly enough there are still locomotives from all of these roads in their pre-merger paint schemes.

Better add B&LE to that list soon...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Ypsi wrote:There a handful on the old DT&I still.. I find CN's pratice of re painting them and sublettering them interesting. You can see CN painted units with GTW, EJE, IC, DMIR, ect. Reporting marks
For what it is worth, the plethora of reporting marks used by CN is due to the subsidiaries held under the CN corporate structure. As CN purchased other railroad companies, different financing schemes were used and separate systems for the taxation of property and equipment developed. In some instances, third parties may be involved in the acquisition of equipment and these assets must be uniquely identified to protect the third parties interests.

There can also be a need for the assets, income, and expenses of the separate entities to be accounted for.

While locomotives are often what we focus on, you will see a lot of different reporting marks on CN "branded" equipment.

As of the closing of business 2014 a partial list of CN subsidiaries that invoice customers looks like this:

CN (Canadian National Railway Company)
AC (Algoma Central Railway Inc),
GTW (Grand Trunk Western Railroad Company),
DWP (Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific Railway Company),
IC (Illinois Central Railroad Company),
WC (Wisconsin Central Ltd.),
EJ&E (Elgin Joliet & Eastern Railway Company),
CCP (Chicago, Central & Pacific Railroad Company),
CDR (Cedar River Railroad Company), WC (Wisconsin Central Ltd.),
SSM (Sault Ste. Marie Bridge Company),
BLE (Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad Company) and
DMIR (Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway Company).

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Spotted a GTW unit today near Flat Rock Yard, one of a handful in service in the area

ImageClassic Trunk by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ypsi wrote:Spotted a GTW unit today near Flat Rock Yard, one of a handful in service in the area

ImageClassic Trunk by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr
Rusty but trusty GT! Good find! I remember the days of seeing GT SD40-2's on the Holly sub all the time. :D I remember a stack train that had 5 GT 40-2's on point. WOW!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

At least you can say that paint scheme doesn't weather TOO bad.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:At least you can say that paint scheme doesn't weather TOO bad.
It really doesn't. When did they quit painting GT painted locomotives?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
The last ones were likely the 8 ex UP SD40-2s, or one of the GP9Rs when they were outshopped. By 1994 new repaints were getting CN colors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
The last ones were likely the 8 ex UP SD40-2s, or one of the GP9Rs when they were outshopped. By 1994 new repaints were getting CN colors.
Why the change? Is their a benefit of painting loconotives all under one set of colors? Roster simplicity?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That was around the time of the "CN North America" image and philosophy that attempted to combine the operations of all of the CN component roads. Thus the paint schemes of GTW, DWP and CV were all retired in favor of a uniform look.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I think it might be a year earlier in 1993 they quit the GT paint scheme. I remember seeing CN North America former DT&I loco down in Springfield on the old DT&I May '93.

SD80MAC wrote:That was around the time of the "CN North America" image and philosophy that attempted to combine the operations of all of the CN component roads. Thus the paint schemes of GTW, DWP and CV were all retired in favor of a uniform look.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT1223 wrote: Why the change? Is their a benefit of painting loconotives all under one set of colors? Roster simplicity?
Why wouldn't CN want the locomotives in the cooperate paint scheme? If I owned a fleet of locomotives as a parent company I would want them to match my companies image. As neat as it is to see an GTW unit or EJE unit, reprinting them makes sense.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Ypsi wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Why the change? Is their a benefit of painting loconotives all under one set of colors? Roster simplicity?
Why wouldn't CN want the locomotives in the cooperate paint scheme? If I owned a fleet of locomotives as a parent company I would want them to match my companies image. As neat as it is to see an GTW unit or EJE unit, reprinting them makes sense.
Simple answer
Money and time. To paint a loco may take it out of service for several weeks if not a month. If the locomotive hasn't been through the shops for major service or overhaul where rust or external parts have been fixed or altered it makes sense to repaint the entire locomotive. If not get it fixed and back on the road as soon as possible. It costs more then labor and paint to take a locomotive out of service especially if you are power short, you may need to rent power to make up for the time the locomotive misses. Or even worse hold a train for lack of power and the whole house of cards comes down.

Yeah they are rolling billboards but when it comes down to it locomotives only make money when the wheels are turning under their own power.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Thats a reason to delay repainting, not a reason to not repaint units. There is a difference, as I'm talking about a cooperate image while your simply talking about time. If there's time and it needs it, it should be done. If not, I agree it shouldn't be done.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

What happened to the Central Vermomt?