DT&SLERR Route through/south of Monroe

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

DT&SLERR Route through/south of Monroe

Unread post by Burb8145 »

I know the path that the DT&SLERR interurban took north of Monroe, but I'm not sure of the path it took through Monroe and from Monroe south into Toledo-I assume it ran alongside what's now Dixie Highway?

I know there's a substation still there in Erie and that there's also a Substation Road in the same vicinity, though. I also know that it used Maple Boulevard to enter Monroe from the north and Stickney Street to enter Toledo.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: DT&SLERR Route through/south of Monroe

Unread post by Michael »

I think there is only one area around LaSalle where it diverged from Dixie Hwy for a short distance. Otherwise it was on either the east or west side of Dixie Hwy down to Toledo.

In Monroe, I think there was more than one line. They acquired the line along Elm Street along the river and also north along Monroe Street.
It certainly looks like it came down Maple Street (what is now the ITC R/W) as well but I can't find that on any old topos

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

Michael wrote:I think there is only one area around LaSalle where it diverged from Dixie Hwy for a short distance. Otherwise it was on either the east or west side of Dixie Hwy down to Toledo.

In Monroe, I think there was more than one line. They acquired the line along Elm Street along the river and also north along Monroe Street.
It certainly looks like it came down Maple Street (what is now the ITC R/W) as well but I can't find that on any old topos
Nice maps. I'm surprised by the fact that there are no unique-looking telephone poles along the old interurban ROW through LaSalle. However, I did notice some unique telephone poles along Noble Street between Maple and Monroe, so maybe it went that way.

Also, how did it swing from Dixie Highway to Stickney? Did it involve cutting through Alexis Junction?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Not sure if this about the D&TSL RR or the DM&T SL interurban .

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I may be confusing the 2 lines. The Interurban, Detroit, Monroe & Toledo Short Line went the route I mentioned but the Detroit & Toledo Shoreline RR is now the NS line through Monroe. a little to the east of the other I believe.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

https://goo.gl/maps/wB2Ap The NS # 1 main runs along Kentucky ave. The NS # 2 main runs along Eastchester st. The Former D & TSL RR ( now CN Shoreline Sub ) was east of the NS # 2 main along Railroad st. I am not sure where the DM&T crossed the Raisin River.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Michael wrote:I may be confusing the 2 lines. The Interurban, Detroit, Monroe & Toledo Short Line went the route I mentioned but the Detroit & Toledo Shoreline RR is now the NS line through Monroe. a little to the east of the other I believe.
Actually the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line is the CN Shoreline Subdivision. The Michigan Central and LS&MS mains are both the NS Detroit Line,NB and SB respectively.

The Detroit & Toledo Shore line was originally jointly owned by the GTW and the NKP/N&W until 1980? when GTW purchased N&W's half and merged it and the Detroit,Toledo & Ironton into the GTW roughly during the same time frame.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D