PM 1223 / 1225 Parts

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

PM 1223 / 1225 Parts

Unread post by MrRail »

A while back I found a article that was quite interesting stating some of 1223's parts were used on 1225. I hear that some of the parts were placed back on 1223, but I would like to know what percentage of 1223's parts are still on 1225? Also, here is the article in question, http://www.farmcollector.com/steam-trac ... again.aspx It seems to have been digitized since MSU started the restoration. Thanks! :D
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: PM 1223 / 1225 Parts

Unread post by SousaKerry »

When the '1225' is rebuilt, MSU students hope to use it to transport students, as well as team members, to selected football games and running periodic excursions for fans to MSU athletic events.
Wow that was a lofty goal if those kids or the writer would have known just what that entailed.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Okay, so this is the article I cited awhile back when I said 1223 parts were used on 1225...and I was kicked without mercy that it wasn't true. So is it?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I wouldn't be surprised if some of 1223's parts were used. I believe if you look at the 1223 right now, it has at least a few parts on it with 1222 and other numbers. There may have been parts interchanged when PM was in control. I once talked to an old machinist for a RR. He told me of a time when a locomotive was in for major overhaul, but the rods were all rebuilt on the rack. A sister unit came in that needed the rods "re-done". So, to be efficient, they swapped out the rods to get the second locomotive back on the road. Meanwhile, that unit's rods could be rebuilt and installed on the engine being overhauled when ready. I believe this was common practice back then, just like now with diesels.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SousaKerry wrote:
When the '1225' is rebuilt, MSU students hope to use it to transport students, as well as team members, to selected football games and running periodic excursions for fans to MSU athletic events.
Wow that was a lofty goal if those kids or the writer would have known just what that entailed.
:lol: Seems so ludicrous in this day and age.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MrRail
White Creek Flat Car

Unread post by MrRail »

Last time I was up to see it when they have their open house, 1223 was missing some cab controls. Other than that, looks like most of the parts are there, but I don't know if they were original or not. The main thing I am curious about though is the front truck, as it states in the article 1225's had a bad hotbox.
Anything can be fixed with WD40 and ductape......... Right?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Some parts on 1223 have been used on 1225 since her restoration due to condition, so they just simply swap them. 1225's part goes on 1223 and 1223's goes on 1225. This however does not mean that things such as rods and such have been swapped, small things such as some gauges and other parts, and some missing parts on 1223 were fabricated from 1225 templates to be put on 1223 during her cosmetic restoration. Some things that are unfortunately missing, such as class lights, the whistle and other pieces are not from thieves but from inside jobs. Such a shame that people join only to take advantage of the club and steal parts, that's why everything that's on the engine right now is welded to it. The whistle went into the possession of a former member and was never seen again. The class lights were stolen from the boxcar, but the lock was not cut. Its really troubling to me. I got talking about this to one of the members of the 1223 group and to my guy from SRI that was with us who gave us access during the 1223 photo shoot back in October. Great guy from the society, let me walk all over the thing. Got to inspect 1223 in places that cannot be done during the open house. I opened one of the journal box covers in the pilot truck and it was still full of fresh lubrication. Whether this is still applied to the bearings in case the engine were to be moved again I'm not sure but it is likely. Real question is how the boiler has held up on the inside. Firebox would definitely need total replacement due to corrosion. I know back in 2003 the boiler was inspected and found to be sound but I don't think that report could be valid 12 years later.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)