Conrail Operations on the Old Road

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Conrail Operations on the Old Road

Unread post by JStryker722 »

ns8401 wrote:
GP30M4216 wrote:With no business between Coldwater and Sturgis, the line was unused, and removed only a few years ago. Sturgis and Coldwater both remain good points of business for their respective railroads.
It was ripped out from Sturgis (a little ways east of the GR&I) to about half a mile west of US-12 in 2013. I was passing by there in February and took a look at the first road east of where US-12 crossed it and found flashers still standing and a siding with switch still intact. Crossing was paved over though.. I wonder why they haven't ripped it out the rest of the way into Coldwater?
There has been a considerable amount of business that sprung up on the western outskirts of Coldwater that get service from the INER,so they kept the track to those business plus alittle farther west for car storage and then pulled up the rails from there to Big Hill Rd. just outside the eastern edge of Sturgis where MSO ownership began.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

The INE has kept the track in place to Snow Prairie Road west of Batavia for car storage purposes. As for the business that is done by the INE in Coldwater-it is keeping them quite busy as there are several that are shipping/receiving more than they ever have. The INE has five customers in Cold water and they are all on the west side of town.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

railroadchoad wrote:The INE has kept the track in place to Snow Prairie Road west of Batavia for car storage purposes. As for the business that is done by the INE in Coldwater-it is keeping them quite busy as there are several that are shipping/receiving more than they ever have. The INE has five customers in Cold water and they are all on the west side of town.
Let's see if I know who they are: Panel Processing, the pallet plant, the plastics plant, Northeast Coop (fertilizer) and Darling (rendering plant).

Is Star of the West in Quincy still shipping by rail?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Off topic but isn't that area of Coldwater where they built that huge greenhouse so I can now get fresh tomatoes all Winter? :D

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

AARR, you are correct but the name of the Co-Op is North central.

Michael, you are correct. The monstrous greenhouse that is owned by some Dutch outfit is on the west side of town, as well!
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!