Ann Pere Tower photo

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Ann Pere Tower photo

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

This photo comes from Richard Roberts, circa 56/57 just before the tower fell at Ann Pere. Notice the new US&S signals ready to take over for the semaphores to the east. This is looking towards Plymouth.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ann Pere Tower photo

Unread post by AARR »

I've wondered if it's "Ann Pere" or "Annpere". I've seen it both ways. The sign on the tower says "Ann Pere". So does that settle it?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:I've wondered if it's "Ann Pere" or "Annpere". I've seen it both ways. The sign on the tower says "Ann Pere". So does that settle it?
I'd say yes, that settles it as to the official term. But, it is just fine to say AnnPere, we all know what it means :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6084 »

So AARR's web name should actually be "AA RR?"

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Great find, James. Definitely the best photo I've ever seen of this tower, and a great one at that because you can see the transition underway from tower control to CTC and the old blades making way for modern searchlights!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TrainWatcher wrote:Notice the new US&S signals ready to take over for the semaphores to the east. This is looking towards Plymouth.
I bet railfans ranted about how ugly those new signals were compared to the semaphores. :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Notice the new US&S signals ready to take over for the semaphores to the east. This is looking towards Plymouth.
I bet railfans ranted about how ugly those new signals were compared to the semaphores. :)
They were. I'd take blades over color lights anyday, Jim!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow