Amtrak Woverine power/ coaches

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Woverine power/ coaches

Unread post by PerRock »

amtrak1007 wrote:Also of note, there are no cars in phase V, the paint schemes are considered IVa, IVb, with the difference in the color of the blue and some text options.
That's not entirely true; there are no Passenger Cars in phase V. All passenger cars are in either IVb or a route-specific paint job (like the AmCal, Surfliner, Capsone on the NEC, etc). However the engines are in phase V.
This Wikipedia article explains the Phases quite well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_paint_schemes and for you that don't think anything is right on Wikipedia, I can verify that it is correct, as I'm one of the few that maintains the article.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I'm not going to argue, but I've always referred to the current passenger car scheme as Phase V because:
-It uses the current Amtrak logo, matching the logo used on Phase V locomotives; this logo is different than Phase IV,
-The stripe pattern, while the same outline as Phase IV, uses a different blue, matching the blue used on the Phase V locomotives
-It includes the red sill stripe, which matches current Phase V locomotives

This is the same reasoning as was used with Phase I. Phase I locomotives had no stripes and sported the unmistakable "Bloody nose." The sides featured large headless arrow logos. The rolling stock, however, had stripes, and no red ends. They correlated with the locomotives by also having the headless arrow logo set within the stripes at each end of the car. Stripes didn't unify the locomotives and the cars, but logos did. The same holds true, in my mind, for Phase V designation to both cars and equipment. Just my reasoning.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Try talking to the station agents, most of them have been there for 30 plus years, i recall back a few years talking to the AA agent and he mentioned how he had been around since the turbos. plus that gives you an excuse to visit the station ( maybe take a trip too)
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I rode 355 last night from Battle Creek to Chicago Union. The conductor referred to the train as "The Twilight Limited" several times. He looked and acted like he easily could have had 30 years in. The assistant conductor, who was a much younger lady, called the train "The Wolverine" a few times. Either way it was neat to hear the older, and I would argue, more traditional name used.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Jetlink Driver wrote:I rode 355 last night from Battle Creek to Chicago Union. The conductor referred to the train as "The Twilight Limited" several times. He looked and acted like he easily could have had 30 years in. The assistant conductor, who was a much younger lady, called the train "The Wolverine" a few times. Either way it was neat to hear the older, and I would argue, more traditional name used.
Twilight Limited is a much better name. Not only because of nostalgia. Tell someone you are taking the Wolverine from Chicago and they are forced to ask, which one? Maybe they should be the Morning, Afternoon, and Twilight Wolverines.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

This is an old thread, and I already got a ton of great information out of it, but today I was checking out the 1988 Wolverine cab ride video (which has been posted on this site before I believe), and noticed something off about one of the apposing Amtrak trains (350 or its 1988 version/ # based on the time and its the first EB you see)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAikJc67tO4

And I noticed that it had some bi-level coaches on it that weren't superliners.

In fact they were the old bi-levels that Amtrak used on some of its Chicago based trains in the 80's. You can tell by the stripes on the lower windows and style of the middle door.

I found this interesting because they were not mentioned previously in the consist info that we have already shared and been shared with. This leads me to believe that these cars made a very short appearance on the wolverines or no one noticed. I would bet they didn't last long if they were still set up like commuter coaches though, a little cramped for a 300 mile trip as compared to the Horizens or Amfleets. There was an amfleet on the end of the consist that may have been a cab car of café, I couldn't tell.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

WOW! that was a great trip down "memory lane". Every image here represented an era that I can remember. Even the D&H Alco PA units. I saw one of them going east on the Amtrak bluewater ltd. one evening. Probably right after their rebuild at Morrison-Knudsen out in Idaho. I don't know the exact date, I was just a young kid at the time. But they came east on the Amtrak/GTW route through Battle Creek. That much I can swear to.
I get to "Clara's" once in a while... That's the old M.C. depot here in B.C. Resturant now, but still holds lots of memories for me. I could go on for another few pages, but that'll have to be it for now.......
Todd

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

The old Amtrak, ex-C&NW bi-levels were not former commuter equipment like you see on Metra today. They were HEP-equipped long distance cars with traditional footrest seats - used by the North Western for the intercity Chicago-Milwaukee-Green Bay runs. When Amtrak was formed in '71 these went into service as part of the C&NW's cash-and-equipment "buy-in" to transfer their passenger liabilities into the new NRPC entity. The commuter-seating cars were kept by the CNW as they continued to manage the West, Northwest and North lines until RTA-Metra took over in the late '70s.

Thanks for sharing this - makes me want to order a set to run behind an AMTK F40 on my HO layout.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

If I remember correctly, Amtrak used the ex-C&NW bi-level coaches mainly on the ex-Pennsy commuter run they used to handle from Chicago down to Valparaiso.
-Fritz Milhaupt

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

In my time growing up in Michigan and frequenting the Jackson Station at train time all I ever recall seeing from about 1990 on was F40's and metroliner cabcars and amfleets with a smattering of horizons. Then Genesis units with cabcars, then cabbages and now the current doubles ended genesis units and horizons.

I am sure GP40tc's and P32's made the rounds from time to time as well.

Prior to that the early Amtrak years surely saw E units and heritage cars, then the Turboliners were around from 75-81, by 81 I am pretty certain that F40's were about the only thing you would have seen with maybe some very rare occasions of a Pooch or a big SD, but that would not have been common in any way, shape, or form.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MagnumForce wrote:In my time growing up in Michigan and frequenting the Jackson Station at train time all I ever recall seeing from about 1990 on was F40's and metroliner cabcars and amfleets with a smattering of horizons. Then Genesis units with cabcars, then cabbages and now the current doubles ended genesis units and horizons.

I am sure GP40tc's and P32's made the rounds from time to time as well.

Prior to that the early Amtrak years surely saw E units and heritage cars, then the Turboliners were around from 75-81, by 81 I am pretty certain that F40's were about the only thing you would have seen with maybe some very rare occasions of a Pooch or a big SD, but that would not have been common in any way, shape, or form.
Pooches and SD's did run, I also saw some P32's commonly in the mid 90's.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

Second time this thread has been bumped...
amtrak1007 wrote:IIRC, the last run to TOL was june of 1993.
Actually, the Detroit-Toledo service ended in the spring of 1995. I distinctly remember that period because even well into 1994 I still occasionally saw F40s with Amfleet/Horizon consists speeding on the Detroit Line through Wyandotte.

After that, the only other Amtrak trains that still crossed Oak Street were the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited reroutes and Clinton's 1996 campaign train, which stopped near Oak Street.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Thanks for the bump! This has been one of my favorite threads thanks to descriptive write ups and memories of Amtrak Michigan services of the past 8) that would be a sight to see roaring for the MC :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Back in the days of F40s, did anyone ever see the trains runs in Push Pull with an F40 on both ends like the P42s today?

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

milineamtrak wrote:Back in the days of F40s, did anyone ever see the trains runs in Push Pull with an F40 on both ends like the P42s today?
Not me personally, but there was this on the first page...
GP30M4216 wrote:Here's another Dearborn photo, this time 351, leaving Dearborn with F40 class leader 200 bringing up the markers. F40 316 was in the lead on this somewhat rare occasion during this era when a powered unit was on each end. March 1995:
Also, I found out yesterday that in 2000, Amtrak wanted to resurrect service between Detroit and Toledo-but operating non-stop from Dearborn to Toledo. I'm sure it never went past the "service to begin at date to be announced" stage in one 2000 timetable.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green