Saginaw Yard - CSX days

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Saginaw Yard - CSX days

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Seems both not that long ago and too long ago that CSX leased away their operation of some of their northern Michigan operations - the Saginaw hub, the Baldwin Sub, and the Muskegon/Fremont branchline.

I've been going through some old prints and scanning them so I don't need to dig out a photo album every time I need to reference a shot I remember. Back in these days, each frame counted, because they were literal frames on a strip of film - you couldn't just shoot off hundreds of images....or rather you could, but it might not be worth your time and money! I'm really glad I snapped this one.

Here's a shot from the footbridge over the south throat of Saginaw Yard. If you were brave enough to walk through that hood, this was a great vantage point to get a view of the yard's unusual triangular layout and see what was within. The date is August 25, 2000 on a roadtrip which also included Alco Centuries at Lake State's Bay City Yard and a stop in Flint as well. Can you find the BN Executive unit? Note all the passenger cars as Bluewater was still in the roundhouse. Enjoy!
CSX Saginaw Yard - August 25, 2000
CSX Saginaw Yard - August 25, 2000

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Saginaw Yard - CSX days

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Saginaw Yard has a second pedestrian catwalk along Norman Street for a nearby school, but the bridge at Wadsworth Street was the far better view.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Now that's the sight I'm used to seeing! Beautiful picture!

Please upload more!

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

GTW6401 wrote:Saginaw Yard has a second pedestrian catwalk along Norman Street for a nearby school, but the bridge at Wadsworth Street was the far better view.
My father took me there alot when we visited my grandmother. I was only 3 or 4 years old throughout that time. The thundering sound of hard couples to strings of empty cars scared the crap out of me! Good memories there.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Saginaw Yard has a second pedestrian catwalk along Norman Street for a nearby school, but the bridge at Wadsworth Street was the far better view.
Right GTW, here's the view "into the yard" from the bridge at the northeast end. This is at Norman and Casimir Streets.
Looking toward the yard from Norman Street in 2008.
Looking toward the yard from Norman Street in 2008.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

GP30M4216 wrote:Seems both not that long ago and too long ago that CSX leased away their operation of some of their northern Michigan operations - the Saginaw hub, the Baldwin Sub, and the Muskegon/Fremont branchline.

I've been going through some old prints and scanning them so I don't need to dig out a photo album every time I need to reference a shot I remember. Back in these days, each frame counted, because they were literal frames on a strip of film - you couldn't just shoot off hundreds of images....or rather you could, but it might not be worth your time and money! I'm really glad I snapped this one.

Here's a shot from the footbridge over the south throat of Saginaw Yard. If you were brave enough to walk through that hood, this was a great vantage point to get a view of the yard's unusual triangular layout and see what was within. The date is August 25, 2000 on a roadtrip which also included Alco Centuries at Lake State's Bay City Yard and a stop in Flint as well. Can you find the BN Executive unit? Note all the passenger cars as Bluewater was still in the roundhouse. Enjoy!
CSX Saginaw Yard 8-25-2000.jpg
Or you could've drove and parked at the yard's south entrance on the east side of Wadsworth. Still the hood but there's more room on that side and you're not in the thick of the neighborhood.

As a resident of the area at the time, it wasn't dangerous but caution was mandatory just as it is now. I'll even say that for the past several years it's been worse than it has been just before we moved.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The modern view in February 2015. The newly painted LSRC units are a nice addition to the area.