GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by PatAzo »

4125 has been working 303 with a couple four axles. 3829 and one of the 4000's the last few times I've seen it.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thanks Pat. 3829 must be the last GP-38 left on the Elk? She stays on the north end as we don't see her down here. Are there any others that have been elusive?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The 3531 stays in Grand Rapids. The 4206 has a broken flex plate.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Stopped 302 today in Three Rivers with engine problems. Long heavy train with 4077,4125 go figure and 4017. Engineer radioed having problems with 4077 loading in trottle A. Engine man comes down from Kazoo in pick up and proceeds to cab. Engineer walks out on catwalk and opens compartments on firemans side. They isolate the other two units and Kazoo man opens her up to notch 8 every 10 seconds she throws out a belch of smoke like an Alco and after 12 or so belches he winds her down. Now I'm not an expert cause x is a unknown quanity and a spurt is a drip under pressure but would that indicate a turbo issue? Anyway they limped to Elkhart hoping the train back isn't any heavier. Winter is coming lets hope Watco gets some of those Wichita units up here pronto.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

3531 stays in GR on the 120 job because it "makes a big transition" and doesn't play nice with other units when MU'd.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

SD80MAC wrote:3531 stays in GR on the 120 job because it "makes a big transition" and doesn't play nice with other units when MU'd.
I just love those types of locomotives.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4076 appeared in Three Rivers yesterday with a unit ballast train southbound. The heritage board shows NYC heritage unit up in GR on GDLK 302. Any sightings? NS power up north again let alone a heritage unit.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Super Chief wrote:4076 appeared in Three Rivers yesterday with a unit ballast train southbound. The heritage board shows NYC heritage unit up in GR on GDLK 302. Any sightings? NS power up north again let alone a heritage unit.
It wasn't unit ballast. It had manifest mixed in. Looked to be a 302-type consist of freight.

And NS 1066 is down at the Andersens in White Pigeon, not up in GR.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks the front half was all i saw around the curve at Cowling. The ballast cars were behind the engine. NYC unit on ex-NYC trackage how cool is that for this area.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Super Chief wrote:Thanks the front half was all i saw around the curve at Cowling. The ballast cars were behind the engine. NYC unit on ex-NYC trackage how cool is that for this area.
Not a problem at all. I meant to update Heritage Units last night but it was rather late when I got home from seed corn hauling. Saw the NYC sitting right at the Anderson's lead off the CS at CP16. As you say, rather nostalgic to see that unit on some NYC heritage rails! Another surprise was to see that WSOR unit lugging the hefty cut of cars solo. You're correct, there was a sizeable stretch of those ballast cars behind the unit. Then again further back in the train.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Will have to see if 4077 recovered from its problems the other day? Questionable motive power and winter are a bad mix.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Doesn't look like 4077 is running. GDLK (possibly 302) went south between 9 and 10 this morning. Saw it from Norrix. The WSOR (probably not 4077) ran LHF with a Geep as mid-train helper.

I hope the NYC makes its way north so I don't have to go down to White Pigeon to see it.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Super Chief wrote:Will have to see if 4077 recovered from its problems
4077 is thought to have a bad power assembly. They don't seem to be in a hurry to put the 4206 or 4124 back in service. Maybe Uncle Webb has other plans. They are going to go implement tonnage restrictions.

My friends tell me they are looking at splitting 303 into two jobs. It more or less a big local and rarely makes a round trip without going dead.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Well let's see 3 units down 1 has a temper when does the hospital train head south? If they can't handle repairs in house they better have a plan B! Wow mid train helper since elk doesn't have radio control thats got to be some slack action going on. Whats DPU to them (Diesel Pusher Unit)? Don't Pick Up anymore cars or Darn Power Units they gave us.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Saw 301 heading to Elkhart with the 4125 leading yesterday. Actually had a sizeable train including 7 UTLX tank cars with the word DIESEL stenciled on the side. Would these be for RR use or an actual customer. I dont recall seeing them before? Heard 501 talking to 503 on the radio so both locals were on the line south.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

4125 & 4017 south thru TR at 12:40 with a mostly Sunday sand train. 1 person crew. We hope NS knows about tonnage restrictions that Watco imposed on the power and the return train isn't any heavier?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

I just noticed today that the west side of the siding between CP Park and CP Cowling has pink survey ribbon the length of it. Could Watco be considering a second siding along 131 for operations? Hadn't seen it before. With the length of the trains maybe GM siding isn't long enough for interchange?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The tonnage limit is 1:1. I haven’t seen Grand Elk use a 1 man crew. The conductor often follows along in a one of the company vehicles. If I understood what I was hearing Friday the 4206 and 4077 were going to be sent south from GR on Saturday. Where to I didn’t hear. 4124 still sets.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Any updates on the power? Of late seems I've been missing them thru town and it has been almost two weeks since the 3 units went down with problems?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Well just caught 4206 on today's southbound 302. Must be the flex plate was replaced. It was Mu'd with 4125. Lots of sand cars. 4077 and 4124 must be awaiting parts?