IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
looshi
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by looshi »

For those interested here is the full link to the study commisioned by the City of Lebanon.

http://www.lebanonohio.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2884

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Tie project set for the Logan Sub from Columbus (just north of 270 overpass) to Lancaster. 9000 ties and ballast for the project. Long (long) term goal of new Roadmaster of I&O-CIND is to get the Logan Sub up to 25 and the Midland and entire DT&I up to 40 mph. Focus for 2015 will be Midland from Oakley to Wash CH and DT&I from Lima to Springfield. Supposedly working on getting in agreement with WESTCO on customer service concerns and track conditions. Half of the DT&I South from Springfield to South Salem is 10 mph. Urbana Sub north of Urbana to West Liberty also out of service as of last week.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Caught 6637 switching out Ashland, whoops..er Nexeos in Grove City tonight...Appeared to be shoving about five hoppers into the staging area.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They've been running to Ashland on a more consistent basis last month or so. Heritage in Derby has been shipping out soy beans and CPS in Mt Sterling has been getting a lot of inbound liquid fert.

redside20

midland sub wrote:They've been running to Ashland on a more consistent basis last month or so. Heritage in Derby has been shipping out soy beans and CPS in Mt Sterling has been getting a lot of inbound liquid fert.
Sounds like things are fluid on this end of the Midland Sub, hope they keep up the good work....Now if only the rest of the system worked this way.
Exit stage left

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by logansub »

Good to see them putting some money in the logan sub.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They derailed the loaded stone train last night in Logan. Not much on details other than a few cars on the ground. 4070-4084 took 80 cars to Haynes on Monday evening. 20 are for the track work between Columbus and Lancaster.

They also took a dead 9500 with them to Columbus to hand over to the OC. Didn't hear what's wrong with the 9500 other than Norwood can't fix it. If the I&O wasn't so power short, the 9500 was supposedly going to get G&W paint job.

The end of an era and a new beginning on the Brookville Sub. 40 plus years ago Jerry Taylor put words to paper that predicted the demise of the old NYC branch line from Valley to Beeson in A Sample of Penn Central. His prediction was the line would eventually be cut back to Brookville and then possible West Harrison due to the poor track conditions and the annual washouts from the parallel White Water river. The online traffic dried up over the years until all was left was the Owens Corning plant in Brookville. The state of Indiana and Owens together funded the last couple of washouts to the line, but no longer. End of April the line developed another serious issue and G&W immediately took the line out of service standing 6 cars at the plant. Decision was made not to go forward with repairs this time. OC and one of the Cincy Class 1s worked with a couple of trucking companies to handle the traffic out of a transload elsewhere. Line effectively is dead west of Harrison until G&W can wait the approximate time period to file for abandonment. Contractor for the I&O brought the last six cars out of the plant with a track mobile and they were slowly walked past the trouble spot one at a time last week. Now for the good news. A new wheat mill is nearing completion at Harrison. They will receive inbound wheat and ship some outbound product by rail. Track equipment was staged to start improvements to from Valley to Harrison. Some of the wheat will be coming from CN @ Flat Rock.

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

I drove by this afternoon and it looked like it must have happened about 300 yards before the stone plant near front street. They had a small machine moving a single car down the track. Looked like they had everything back on the track. There was a bunch of contractors down by the train shop. I heard that it was very minor but haven't heard much else let me know if you hear anything else.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They were shoving back to the unloading pit on the old New Straitsville branch when three cars derailed near the switch at the wye.
Attachments
10711301_852863934745642_1809075649_n.jpg
10699122_853140828051286_439524768_n.jpg
10717595_853140798051289_979628437_n.jpg

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice pics tracks not looking so straight!

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Has the LSL become a night run? Yesterday afternoon 8161/5678 were paired up with a train but never got a crew. Also 4028/8140 were on the west side but they're gone also but the LNL cars are still at the north end. No crews on duty this afternoon.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Yes, LSL is now at night and LNL is daytime.
Bottom text.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Y@ wrote:Yes, LSL is now at night and LNL is daytime.
Know if its temporary due to track work?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Call times were redone. Expect it to stay this way for quite awhile.
Bottom text.

redside20

A tad late..bout a day. Came upon a CSX grainer in Urbancrest (Grove City) on the Midland Sub yesterday evening. CSX 553 and 767 were in command of the train.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Valero had a fire/silo explosion on Monday. Crew was working on replacing a bearing on the silo when the fire started. Silo is the inbound conveyor/augur from Cargill for corn. Explosion took six inches off of silo. I&O had to bring every available empty ddg hopper to Valero to empty the mash out. Empty ethanol train was waiting for Valero before the fire. Valero was flying in a special team to put the fire out.

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know how many cars were on logan stone train this run? Looked like more than the normal 60.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

77 I believe.

logansub
Railroadfan...fan

pic of stone train leaving last week
Attachments
1016141652.jpg