CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: CSX Locomotive Roster News, Updates & Information Thread

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MSchwiebert wrote:Does anyone have any photos of the ex MARC unit on CSX property? Sure, it would free up a 4 motor unit for yard/local service, but other than that I don't see many advantages to using the unit in place of the existing GP40-2.
9969 shows as a GP40-2 and "OOS Past Due Service" since September of 2013. For something that is supposedly getting added to the Geo train, there doesn't seem to be much push to get it returned to service and put with the train. 6025 has been the dedicated Geo Train engine for at least as long as I've been with CSX. Only getting 'subbed' out when due a Q inspection or some other work.

Practice Safe CSX

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

CSX_CO wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Does anyone have any photos of the ex MARC unit on CSX property? Sure, it would free up a 4 motor unit for yard/local service, but other than that I don't see many advantages to using the unit in place of the existing GP40-2.
9969 shows as a GP40-2 and "OOS Past Due Service" since September of 2013. For something that is supposedly getting added to the Geo train, there doesn't seem to be much push to get it returned to service and put with the train. 6025 has been the dedicated Geo Train engine for at least as long as I've been with CSX. Only getting 'subbed' out when due a Q inspection or some other work.

Practice Safe CSX
Considering it was a wide cab GP40-2, I wonder if it will retain said cab and flared radiators (a first for CSX), or if it will be one of the GP40-3 rebuilds behind the 6500.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

TrainWatcher wrote: Considering it was a wide cab GP40-2, I wonder if it will retain said cab and flared radiators (a first for CSX), or if it will be one of the GP40-3 rebuilds behind the 6500.
If it does go -3, and I doubt it, it will most likely keep it's numbering, and not go into the 65xx system.

I'd imagine they're going to upgrade the unit with some GEO train outfitting (HEP?) or something like that, but it is just speculation on my part.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Sorry for the delay, but here is the Feb Update in text form:
Repaints: 2767 [GP38-2], 8064 [SD40-2], 529 [CW44AH], 1544 [GP15-1], 2645 [GP38-2]
New: 9969 [GP40-2]
Retirements: 8106 [SD40-2], 8121 [SD40-2], 8302 [SD40-2], 8889 [SD40-2], 9136 [RCPHG4], 9243 [RCPHG4], 9253 [RCPHG4], 9249 [RCPHG4], 9250 [RCPHG4]

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote: Considering it was a wide cab GP40-2, I wonder if it will retain said cab and flared radiators (a first for CSX), or if it will be one of the GP40-3 rebuilds behind the 6500.
If it does go -3, and I doubt it, it will most likely keep it's numbering, and not go into the 65xx system.

I'd imagine they're going to upgrade the unit with some GEO train outfitting (HEP?) or something like that, but it is just speculation on my part.
It should already have HEP, no mice in those MARC cars running on a wheel for power. :lol:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

ns8401 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

It should already have HEP, no mice in those MARC cars running on a wheel for power. :lol:
Guess I win the facepalm today! How was the old GP40-2 setup? I'm guessing the cars have their own power supply with the GEEP does not? In that case, I can see why CSX wanted an ex-commuter Geep to replace it.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT3001 wrote: Guess I win the facepalm today! How was the old GP40-2 setup? I'm guessing the cars have their own power supply with the GEEP does not? In that case, I can see why CSX wanted an ex-commuter Geep to replace it.
They might be looking at consolidating power to the head end, I don't think 6025 has head end power. So if you can reduce your consumption of fuel it'll save money I suppose.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ns8401 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: Guess I win the facepalm today! How was the old GP40-2 setup? I'm guessing the cars have their own power supply with the GEEP does not? In that case, I can see why CSX wanted an ex-commuter Geep to replace it.
They might be looking at consolidating power to the head end, I don't think 6025 has head end power. So if you can reduce your consumption of fuel it'll save money I suppose.
And that renders the power generating equipment in the Geo train superfluous. Also limits what engines you can run on the Geo train if/when the dedicated engine needs servicing/inspection. Throw in the fact that the vast majority of shops on the system probably have little to no experience with HEP anymore, thus you limit what shops can work on the engine. No HEP, send it to the nearest shop and fix the problem just like any other unit. Plus, running HEP requires the prime mover to be in notch 8 almost non-stop, which wouldn't be fuel efficient.

I'll believe the engine in dedicated Geo train service when I see it. Again, no push to get this 9969 put in service since its been on property since at least September if going by the locomotive data screen in the system. 6025 is coming due a Q, and no one who manages that trainset seems particularly concerned in getting it someplace the 9969 is to mate them up.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX Locomotive Roster Update: March 2014

Also, a note about the 9969: it is in the VERY early stages of the rebuilding effort. As of a few weeks ago, they still had the long hood off. 'New' cab going on as well.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

CSXT 677 was scrapped onsite after a derailment according to loconotes.

Conrail6408
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrail6408 »

CSX EMD SD60M #8782 has been repainted into YN3b from YN2...saw it yesterday (3/24/13) going through Berea. Only one SD60M left in YN2 now.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Conrail6408 wrote:CSX EMD SD60M #8782 has been repainted into YN3b from YN2...saw it yesterday (3/24/13) going through Berea. Only one SD60M left in YN2 now.
Photo?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

patrick wrote:CSXT 677 was scrapped onsite after a derailment according to loconotes.
Still shows in LMLD so if it was scrapped on site, no one told locomotive management...

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
patrick wrote:CSXT 677 was scrapped onsite after a derailment according to loconotes.
Still shows in LMLD so if it was scrapped on site, no one told locomotive management...

Practice Safe CSX
We usually don't remove until it is off the database, but this one isn't coming back. It is off our list now, due up in the next update

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: We usually don't remove until it is off the database, but this one isn't coming back. It is off our list now, due up in the next update
It is still in the CSX computer as an 'active' engine. OOS with "Wreck Damage" since last year, but still 'active'.

Anyone got photos of it cut up? Still showing 'active' in the mainframe...still showing being moved around in the system...

Usually when something is 'retired' or scrapped, it is GONE and GONE immediately...Trust me, when retired and 'purged' from the system, CSX quickly removes them from the LMLD Database. If it was the in that accident and criminal charges are pending or filed, then it won't be scrapped until those criminal proceedings are wrapped up because, until then, that engine is still 'evidence'.

But hey...I just work here...surely people on here and Loconotes would know more than the CSX system...

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: We usually don't remove until it is off the database, but this one isn't coming back. It is off our list now, due up in the next update
It is still in the CSX computer as an 'active' engine. OOS with "Wreck Damage" since last year, but still 'active'.

Anyone got photos of it cut up? Still showing 'active' in the mainframe...still showing being moved around in the system...
I've been told that 677 is still in the database, but was scrapped on site of the wreck, and the 370 was in the Suman wreck, is no longer in the database but is still around Barr or somewhere. That's what I've been told, I have no 1st hand info, so don't shoot the messenger, please

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

CSX_CO wrote: Plus, running HEP requires the prime mover to be in notch 8 almost non-stop, which wouldn't be fuel efficient.

The MK GP40WH-2s had separate engines for HEP. It is below the fourth cooling fan at the back of the unit.

Note the exhaust pipe.

Not that this would make much difference in things but they do not need to run in Run 8 all the time like F40PH's.

To rebuild them to normal freight specs would take quite a bit of work. Not even the frame is standard as it was stretch to accommodate the HEP generator. The noses were from F45s and the hoods were kitbashed from various SD45 and GP40 parts, the cooling systems are from SD45's. The underframe is more akin to that of an F40PH. Pretty much nothing standard on them.

Do the F40PH's still use their HEP or is the power all generated on the cars.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MagnumForce wrote: Do the F40PH's still use their HEP or is the power all generated on the cars.
99.9% sure the cars generate their own power. Both for the OCS and for the Geo train. Only reason I know that is because there was a 'super secret' mission in the middle of the night with the OCS to repair some broken steps on the F40's that no one had noticed. Called a special crew to move them from the train, to the shop, weld them back up, and get them back on the train before anyone noticed they were gone. Train remained 'hot' the entire time.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT3001 wrote:
Conrail6408 wrote:CSX EMD SD60M #8782 has been repainted into YN3b from YN2...saw it yesterday (3/24/13) going through Berea. Only one SD60M left in YN2 now.
Photo?
This unit was at Peaker Services in Green Oak, MI, until recently for major work, probably released and then went straight to Huntington for paint. No photo yet, so not yet removed

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: This unit was at Peaker Services in Green Oak, MI, until recently for major work, probably released and then went straight to Huntington for paint. No photo yet, so not yet removed
Define 'recently'? GPS on it shows it in Huntington as 'stored' until 3-11 when it started going through the process of being put back in service. Transferred to Russell, KY and then put in service on the Q634-22, then Q378, and then on Q626.

No photo of them cutting 677 up, yet it is off your roster. Someone else tells you they saw an engine in new paint, but that isn't good enough?

Whatever...

Practice Safe CSX