Color profiles in Photoshop for web viewing

Questions on editing, camera settings, equipment, critiques, how to upload photos, etc....
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Color profiles in Photoshop for web viewing

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Split this topic apart from the CSX updates. Trying to see why photos that JT uploads to photobucket or imgur don't look like they do in his Adobe Photoshop CS5:

Jochs wrote:This is an actual photo, not a camera phone pic of my camera. :P :lol:
Here's my non-camera phone pic of the back of my camera:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=467340
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Re: CSX Train Location Updates: 1/23/14

Unread post by J T »

Holy over-saturated, Batman! :shock:

Mine is still on the memory card. I may get around to fiddling with it this weekend.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

J T wrote:Holy over-saturated, Batman! :shock:

Mine is still on the memory card. I may get around to fiddling with it this weekend.
That's what I was mentioning the chat room this morning... looked over processed to me too... think I'll redo it and put it back on or somethin.
Webmaster

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Wow, Imgur sucks as bad as photobucket it does. Guess I won't bother uploading many pics there. Final processed image in CS5 on right, uploaded to Imgur on the left:

Way to suck the life out of an image. And I thought photobucket was the only one with that issue.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

J T wrote:Way to suck the life out of an image. And I thought photobucket was the only one with that issue.
I've gotta guess that you aren't saving them in sRGB, and instead are using Adobe RGB(1998) or ProPhotoRGB? sRGB is the web displaying standard. Anything I upload to imgur looks exactly like it looked when i edited in CS5.
See image: Image

http://om4.com.au/client/preparing-imag ... adobe-rgb/
Webmaster

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Color profiles in Photoshop for web viewing

Unread post by J T »

Perhaps, but I feel like I've done the testing before and came up with the same results. I'll give it another try.

By the way, why would Imgur and Photobucket wash out images but Flickr and RP don't? Flickr, especially..my pics look very rich on there.

Edit: This is what I see when I save a file in CS5:

Last edited by J T on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:Perhaps, but I feel like I've done the testing before and came up with the same results. I'll give it another try.

By the way, why would Imgur and Photobucket wash out images but Flickr and RP don't? Flickr, especially..my pics look very rich on there.
I don't think Flickr does anything to the original images, seeing as you can download the original if you have an advanced account...at least how I understand it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

It has nothing to do with shooting in either sRGB or Adobe RGB. You would not notice nearly that significant of a difference just from that, especially jpegs. It has everything to do with the software those sites are using to interpret the image you send, just like it matters what profile you're using when you upload RAW files. It's a software interpretation of the color channels or something to that effect. Some sites like flickr are very good, other sites suck.
Brett

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

I've never notice any trouble with Flickr changing the images.
Before I save a jpg for the web the last step in photoshop is
Edit>Convert to Profile> and set the destination space to
'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' this essentially sets the color profile of
your image to a neutral value and should keep any websites
from messing with it. The only variation that should come
up after that would be down to viewers uncalibrated and
wildly out of adjustment monitors.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

trainerd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainerd »

Essentially color profiles don't matter on the web, especially if it's a jpg file. jpg's don't store a color profile in the file info. That's why Adobe asks when you open a jpg, what color profile you want to use. Basically the web is sRGB throughout.

P.S. I always found Adobe's profiles a pain the butt, because what you see on your monitor isn't necessarily how it's going to look when you print it. I lost a lot of ink on that one until I switched to sRGB for my entire workflow.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

trainerd wrote:Essentially color profiles don't matter on the web, especially if it's a jpg file. jpg's don't store a color profile in the file info. That's why Adobe asks when you open a jpg, what color profile you want to use. Basically the web is sRGB throughout.

P.S. I always found Adobe's profiles a pain the butt, because what you see on your monitor isn't necessarily how it's going to look when you print it. I lost a lot of ink on that one until I switched to sRGB for my entire workflow.
When printing images I've found that it makes a big difference if you use a CMYK profile vs. an RGB profile. Printers print in CMYK (or C/LC/M/LM/Y/K and similar combinations), not RGB. RGB relates to light and how the image appears on a monitor or screen. When we first got into wide format color printing at work last year I learned fairly quickly to convert images to CMYK (print profile) before printing as the colors don't print correctly using RGB profiles.
~ Charles W.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Brian_F wrote:I've never noticed any trouble with Flickr changing the images.
That's why I stated this earlier in the thread:
J T wrote:By the way, why would Imgur and Photobucket wash out images but Flickr and RP don't? Flickr, especially..my pics look very rich on there.
On flickr, my pics look exactly like they did in photoshop. On photobucket and imgur, they looked faded (as my example pic above shows).