Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Okie? Okolona? Wow, that is a place I have not heard of in a very long time.

Is the elevator in Jewell still served by rail?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Perhaps, it would be helpful to make a detailed wiki page so that most general questions can be referred to that instead. Right now, there is no "database" for the NDW, so any basic, should-be-in-a-reference info must come from here, if anywhere...

Plus, you don't have to search this long thread...it is all in one place, viewable by all, able to be edited by anyone.

Old MAW page (not very detailed to begin with):
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/M ... 26_Western

I'd build it if I knew the info to input...but I don't have it. I'd be willing to construct it if someone could give me the info, and then I can ask questions beyond that if need be. What I or anyone else would need :

- Loco Roster
- Trackage Description
- Customers
- Mileposts (optional)
- Current Operations (train symbol, origin, destination, customers served, etc)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Jewell hasn't shipped by rail in several years.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Mileposts? Train symbols? Lol

The elevator in Jewell no longer receives cars but the mill in Okie does

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Mileposts show up in employee timetables so they're not hard to get.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:- Loco Roster
- Trackage Description
- Customers
- Mileposts (optional)
I enjoy this kind of information and try to keep track of all the MI short lines
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT3001 wrote:Perhaps, it would be helpful to make a detailed wiki page so that most general questions can be referred to that instead. Right now, there is no "database" for the NDW, so any basic, should-be-in-a-reference info must come from here, if anywhere...

Plus, you don't have to search this long thread...it is all in one place, viewable by all, able to be edited by anyone.

Old MAW page (not very detailed to begin with):
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/M ... 26_Western

I'd build it if I knew the info to input...but I don't have it. I'd be willing to construct it if someone could give me the info, and then I can ask questions beyond that if need be. What I or anyone else would need :

- Loco Roster
- Trackage Description
- Customers
- Mileposts (optional)
Trackage/Mileposts: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/images/ ... ternal.pdf

Loco Roster:

PREX 105 (high-hood geep (GP-9?) in Gettysburg paint, set up to run long hood forward)
PREX 107 (ex-BN SW switcher in BN paint)
PREX 1601 (faded Pioneer paint, GP-16)
PREX 1603 (Pioneer paint, GP-16, loud horn)
PREX 1606 (Pioneer paint, GP-16)
PREX 3054 (new Pioneer paint with Pioneer Lines diamond, GP-20)

No train symbols

Origin: Wherever they tied up the night before (Napoleon, Defiance, Cecil, Woodburn are typical)

Customers/other operations specifics: refer to Magnum, Y@, alittlevanwerety, others
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Wiki page is now online: http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/N ... 26_Western

Any errors post or edit. I made do with what I know and what was already there for the MAW. I'm certainly no expert...

Everywhere there is ??? is something I would like to fill. Post it here or edit it yourself.

What else there is to add:
- Customer Info - Location, Name, Served By (train), Frequency of Service, & Ships/Recieves
- Where each locomotive is generally assigned to (if they're still running 2 segments mainly)
- I need train info. Based in, call time, days of operation, Customers switched, etc. I kinda need a name for it...that is what I meant by "symbol". It doesn't have to be Qxxx or whatever, just what the crews call it.

The more information over there is less info that needs to be repeated here :)

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Isn't most of the trackage within sight of US 24? Just find the train that way.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

cbehr91 wrote:Isn't most of the trackage within sight of US 24? Just find the train that way.
what he said....and better yet the ND&W so is easy to track I would get an all terrain vehicle like a dirtbike or four wheeler to find the train. That's what I would do.
Exit stage left

MagnumForce
Angry Man

The crews don't call the train anything that any of us would ever hear, switching they simply use the locomotive number and yes the easiest line to find the train on ever. Aside from Defiance and Napoleon it is never out of view from 24
    Last edited by MagnumForce on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbehr91
    Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

What channel does the ND&W use on the radio? Same one as the MAW? (160.695 MHz IIRC)

MagnumForce
    Angry Man

Yes

Y@
    Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's your rundown of customers, west to east.

LaFarge - Cecil
    Johns Manville - Defiance
    Jewell Grain - Okolona (Owned by same people who own the elevator in Jewell)
    Advanced Drainage Systems - Napoleon
    Oldcastle - Napoleon
    Interstate Cold Storage - Napoleon
    Cloverleaf Cold Storage - Napoleon
    Railtech - Napoleon (Not sure if they're getting cars yet or if they will ever actually get cars, but they have sporadically in the past)

Saturnalia
    Authority on Cat

Alrighty then. You're on your own.

60Tonner
    Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

MQT3001 wrote:Wiki page is now online: http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/N ... 26_Western

Any errors post or edit. I made do with what I know and what was already there for the MAW. I'm certainly no expert...

Everywhere there is ??? is something I would like to fill. Post it here or edit it yourself.

What else there is to add:
    - Customer Info - Location, Name, Served By (train), Frequency of Service, & Ships/Recieves
    - Where each locomotive is generally assigned to (if they're still running 2 segments mainly)
    - I need train info. Based in, call time, days of operation, Customers switched, etc. I kinda need a name for it...that is what I meant by "symbol". It doesn't have to be Qxxx or whatever, just what the crews call it.

The more information over there is less info that needs to be repeated here :)

No disrespect but you need to go thru and clean up your spelling of words.The second paragraph of history needs a bunch of work. Thanks for trying.

60Tonner

MagnumForce
    Angry Man

Perhaps you should have your facts straight before making a wiki entry, a lot of misinformation there. Deleted your entire "History" section as so much of it was wrong, misleading or missing huge gaps. No wiki entry is better than a wiki entry that is wrong.

I will fix it later.
    Last edited by MagnumForce on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bulby
    Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MagnumForce wrote:Perhaps you should have your facts straight before making a wiki entry, a lot of misinformation there. Deleted your entire "History" section as so much of it was wrong, misleading or missing huge gaps. No wiki entry is better than a wiki entry that is written by someone who just knows a little about something but writing something as if they know everything about it.

I will fix it later.
    Magnum,

Perhaps you could have helped him get his facts straight in the first place? He did ask for help.

I believe it was you and Y@ that continually bemoan requests for ND&W information. If you wish to reduce the amount of questions the least you can do is help write the Wiki once and for all.

I provided him with what I know, he put that up. He added what he knew, and asked for edits/additions, and further stated he was no expert on ND&W. To insult him for taking the initiative is a pretty foolish idea. If you wish to positively contribute to this Wiki, I will not object; I will however, object to the negative attitude you display towards MQT3001 for attempting to take the initiative in a positive way.
    Last edited by Bulby on Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

MagnumForce
    Angry Man

He did this in an evening, hardly time to answer his requests and I do appreciate his effort to begin one.

No wiki entry is better than one full of speculation, half truths, opinions and out and out false information. One that was only what he knew would have been totally fine and that is how he should have done it. The History section had a lot of this. The Overview section just showed a lack of knowledge of the particulars of the line which is not his fault at all.

When I saw it had been started I went in and added entire sections and deleted an entire section that could have been quite misleading to anyone not familiar with the operation. Aside from the layout and Locomotive and timetable information and I reworked those with the proper corresponding information. The Wiki Entry as you see it now was completely written by me so kind of hard to say I did not help at all isn't it?

An entry like this should be done in a factual basis and I went in and made it that way. I will update things with a factual line history as time permits or someone can write one as well that knows the full history of the line and can state it in a factual manner.

Bulby
    Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MagnumForce wrote:He did this in an evening, hardly time to answer his requests. No wiki entry is better than one full of speculation, half truths, opinions and out and out false information. One that was only what he knew would have been totally fine and that is how he should have done it. You are new here so I don't believe you know the history of how things have went with MQT.
    I'll readily admit I don't know the history of MQT on this board. I only follow this board for this thread and anything that pops up about ND&W's sister railroad in Western Illinois.

The way I see it, I was able to compose one rather long (for the subject matter) report on motive power, and link the track map Pioneer kindly has available, plus a dissertation of operations that I sent to MQT as a PM. All of this before you edited the WIki, and during which time you made at least two posts to the thread.

Added after seeing your edited reply above: I must say you have done a good job with upgrading the Wiki page, I saw both versions and your version is superior. Thank you for making the effort to complete what MQT started
    Last edited by Bulby on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.