New Lake State customer in Gaylord

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KC
Railroadfan...fan

New Lake State customer in Gaylord

Unread post by KC »

Tri-State Forest Products has opened at the former Hager site in Gaylord.
Stopped by this morning, and yes they do plan on using rail.... :D :D

Heres link to company website:
http://www.tsfpi.com/index.html

Heres their sign:

Heres their siding back in Hager days:
1 May 2009

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New Lake State customer in Gaylord

Unread post by AARR »

Tri-State operates the former Hager Distributors in Saginaw too.

In its Hager days the place in Gaylord would get 3-5 cars a month. Maybe a little less toward the end of service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Took a trip to Mackinaw City and back yesterday. 2757 Dickerson Road in Gaylord, according to Google Maps, is about 2000 feet West of the Lake State Railroad right next to the airport. Maybe this is their office building? This address is not the picture shown in the first post when I look at Google Maps. Strange. Maybe they will offload somewhere? Anyway, hope this will still have rail service.

Anyway, on the way up and back yesterday (Sunday July 21st) we saw about a dozen boxcars in Gaylord on that track that loops around the main just under the freeway. Didn't stop, but that is what we saw. Also noticed the old Mill on the West side of Gaylord all but gone - piles of demolishion still around with equipment. Hope this site can be developed someday!

Went to the Indian River and Wolverine depots on the way home. Took pics. Sorry this is not much of a train report, but also saw the "new" track to A and L Iron in Gaylord too. This was new to me as I haven't been up north in 10 years! I know, I know - what a shame. We had kids and haven't made it up. Anyway, had a nice time in Mackinaw on our Anniversary.

David Lang

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

David Lang wrote:Took a trip to Mackinaw City and back yesterday. 2757 Dickerson Road in Gaylord, according to Google Maps, is about 2000 feet West of the Lake State Railroad right next to the airport. Maybe this is their office building? This address is not the picture shown in the first post when I look at Google Maps. Strange. Maybe they will offload somewhere? Anyway, hope this will still have rail service.
Tri State has a lumber yard where they unload in Gaylord. Their spur connects to the A&L (formerly G-P) line.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

David Lang wrote: 2757 Dickerson Road in Gaylord, according to Google Maps, is about 2000 feet West of the Lake State Railroad right next to the airport.

David Lang
You are lucky if Google Maps places your address in the correct section (the 36 per township kind of section). Sometimes you have to drive around a bit and look for yourself. I have seen Google place addresses of a well known business on a main thoroughfare in Northern Michigan in the middle of a lake. Don't trust the placement outside of a generalization.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Hager was located at the same address so I'm pretty sure its at the same location as Hager. Tri States GR location is the old Hager yard on Judd Street as well.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

CORRECTION! The dozen or so cars I saw in my above post was in GRAYLING not Gaylord! Sorry about that.

Anyway, the reason for this post is this...Looking at Google Maps again, there are a LOT of rail sidings on the Lake State South of Grayling, between Grayline and Roscommon, all just south of 4 Mile Road, and all in a short distance of each other. What is all that and who are all the customers between Bay City and Gaylord? Thanks!

David Lang

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

David Lang wrote:Anyway, the reason for this post is this...Looking at Google Maps again, there are a LOT of rail sidings on the Lake State South of Grayling, between Grayline and Roscommon, all just south of 4 Mile Road, and all in a short distance of each other. What is all that and who are all the customers between Bay City and Gaylord?
There are three steady customers at 4 Mile Rd.
- Weyerhaeuser receives wood resin (from G-P next door) and ships out particle board
- Georgia-Pacific receives ingredients and ships out wood resins (including to Weyerhaeuser next door and to the G-P mill in Gaylord when it was open)
- Lake City Redimix - Inbound stone from Alpena (loaded at a team track)
Note that there are many obstacles obscuring the view of Weyerhaeuser and Georgia-Pacific, and the Redimix spur is way down (1/2-3/4 mile) from 4 Mile Rd. There are "No Trespassing" signs posted and I hear security at both G-P and W will enforce it on their property and report trespassers to LSRC if on the ROW.

The only remaining customers that I'm aware of between Bay City and Grayling is the small bird seed mill in Standish and the new Auburn Bean and Grain elevator under construction in Sterling.

Even in its heyday there was not an abundance of customers between Bay City and Grayling.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Raildudes dad wrote:Hager was located at the same address so I'm pretty sure its at the same location as Hager. Tri States GR location is the old Hager yard on Judd Street as well.
Correct, one and the same, some former Hager employees rehired too.
AARR wrote: - Lake City Redimix - Inbound stone from Alpena (loaded at a team track).
There is a constant rumor of Lake City Redimix to get inbound cement someday also.

Kelly

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

KC wrote:
AARR wrote:- Lake City Redimix - Inbound stone from Alpena (loaded at a team track).
There is a constant rumor of Lake City Redimix to get inbound cement someday also.
I've heard it too. 1000 cars a year from Alpena. Hope its true but I'll believe it when I see it :)

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Lake City redi mix was in talks with Halcim with the possible purchase of the Elmira terminal, & moving everything to Elmira.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GP-35 wrote:Lake City redi mix was in talks with Halcim with the possible purchase of the Elmira terminal, & moving everything to Elmira.
I'm not very familiar with that area...would this move be just to another place in town?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

No, about 35mi or so to the north west, in Elmira Mi. Halcim used to get cement in by rail, they truck it from Chicago, they are looking at getting rid of the terminal, but they don't want the compitission to get it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GP-35 wrote:No, about 35mi or so to the north west, in Elmira Mi. Halcim used to get cement in by rail, they truck it from Chicago, they are looking at getting rid of the terminal, but they don't want the compitission to get it.
Wonder if they would still get stone from Alpena by rail? That would be a long, long ways for a stone haul that is really only about 70 miles! You'd have to go LSRC -> MMRR -> GLC. And iirc most of the LSRC stone cars are not fit to leave home rails...inspections/rebuilds?

If they did move and still get the same stone by rail, that would be a really nice pickup for the GLC
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:
GP-35 wrote:No, about 35mi or so to the north west, in Elmira Mi. Halcim used to get cement in by rail, they truck it from Chicago, they are looking at getting rid of the terminal, but they don't want the compitission to get it.
Wonder if they would still get stone from Alpena by rail? That would be a long, long ways for a stone haul that is really only about 70 miles! You'd have to go LSRC -> MMRR -> GLC. And iirc most of the LSRC stone cars are not fit to leave home rails...inspections/rebuilds?

If they did move and still get the same stone by rail, that would be a really nice pickup for the GLC
I love railroad rumors. So the cement will move south on one railroad 120 miles, west 40 miles on another railroad, and then southwest on a 3rd railroad 130 miles when a truck could go from Alpena to Elmira and back in 4-5 hours :lol:

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

When I was in Gaylord last sat (July 20) I did not see any railcars at all. No oil tank cars, no scrap gons and no covered hoppers. Is the oil guy still getting oil by rail?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

KenB wrote:Is the oil guy still getting oil by rail?
Yes, around 50ish cars per year last I heard. May be more or less now but I'm pretty sure they still get rail service.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

Some LSRC stone cars indeed leave home rails this summer.GLC got about 30 of them full of stone for dumping on the main line,between Owosso and Elise.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

railroader and son wrote:Some LSRC stone cars indeed leave home rails this summer.GLC got about 30 of them full of stone for dumping on the main line,between Owosso and Elise.
Heard the stone comes from Wallace (HESR) or Kawkawlin (LSRC). I think both sources (and Alpena) are owned by same interests.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

If Lake City was changing there Supply to Holcim,why not buy Elmira. Benefits the supplier, and Lake City,plus GLC.My buddy haul cement out of Wyoming Yard for High Grade Materials,best thing they did was start using rail he said.