The Alma and South Michigan Railroad

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

The Alma and South Michigan Railroad

Unread post by cfriedri »

The Alma and South Michigan Railroad (reporting mark ASM) operates approximately 100 miles of the former Ann Arbor Railroad from Osmer, MI to Alma, MI. The railroad began operations in mid-June of 2013 after the Ann Arbor Railroad made sale of the route from Osmer to Alma. Traffic is moderate with the majority commodities being grain and sand.

Locomotive Roster

EMD GP40-2 #3100-3101 (2) [ex-DRGW/SP/UP]
EMD GP50 #3150-3157 (8) [ex-BN/BNSF]

Total Units: 10

Interchange Points

Osmer, MI (AA)
Howell, MI
Ann Pere, MI (MQT)
Durand, MI (GLH)
Owosso, MI
Alma, MI (GLH, SAMM)
Last edited by cfriedri on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Connor

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: The Alma and South Michigan Railroad

Unread post by AARR »

I'll be following along :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

Can we have trackage rights from Alma to Durand to connect with the rest of our railroad system in Durand?

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

59caddy wrote:Can we have trackage rights from Alma to Durand to connect with the rest of our railroad system in Durand?
I'd be happy to grant that to you! What would be the frequency of your trains?
Connor

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

cfriedri wrote:
59caddy wrote:Can we have trackage rights from Alma to Durand to connect with the rest of our railroad system in Durand?
I would probably have one NB and SB every day, with possible extras, and YpsiAmtrakBoy will send a NB and SB hotshot intermodal every day to/from Mackinac.

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

59caddy wrote:
cfriedri wrote:
I would probably have one NB and SB every day, with possible extras, and YpsiAmtrakBoy will send a NB and SB hotshot intermodal every day to/from Mackinac.
Sounds good to me! You can run your trains from the north through Alma down to Durand and your trains from the south from Durand to Alma. However, ASM trains will take precedence over your trains.
Connor

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

cfriedri wrote:Sounds good to me! You can run your trains from the north through Alma down to Durand and your trains from the south from Durand to Alma. However, ASM trains will take precedence over your trains.
You switched the directions between Durand and Alma! :wink:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You also will interchange at Ann Pere with the MQT. Remember, MQT dispatches the diamond, and they will see you on the approach circuits, but be sure to give the Plymouth Sub Dispatcher a ring to let them know your priority and plans, such as working the interchange, so they can best direct traffic over the diamonds. We have a trackage Rights agreement from Ann Pere up the old Ann Arbor all the way to Grayling, where existing rights exist. This is thru passenger-only. Currently, no trains are regularly scheduled, we will let you know when we run them. We have a permit for steam operations through December 31st.

Welcome, and let us know if you need anything. If you notice the diamonds getting rough, let us know, we also maintain them :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Alma and South Michigan Railroad officials have made the decision to upgrade and expand the repair facilities of Owosso, Michigan. Construction is to begin August 1, 2013, and should finish by July of 2014. Included in the expansion is a higher capacity facility with up-to-date technology, making locomotive repairs and rebuilds much more effecient with concern to time and quality. During the period of construction, ASM will contract other facilities to perform maintenance and inspections.

On another note, all purchased locomotives have arrived on ASM property. EMD GP50s #3150-3157 were freshly rebuilt by Larry's Truck and Electric of McDonald, Ohio, before arriving on the ASM, restored to their physical plant of 1993. However, they arrived in primer and ASM's designated livery has yet to be debuted. ASM has contracted Norfolk Southern Railway's Juniata Locomotive Works to paint the locomotives over a period of six months.

EMD GP40-2s #3100-3101 are scheduled to head to Larry's Truck and Electric in late September. They will emerge with their physical plants as they were upon the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad's acquisition of the Southern Pacific Railroad. These EMD GP40-2s are included in ASM's contract with the Norfolk Southern Railway to paint its locomotives. By May of 2013, all locomotives should be in ASM's designated livery. EMD GP50 #3150 should be the first to emerge by October of 2013.
Connor

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

you also inter change with the samm rr at alma mi i operate paines to edmore
edmore to greenville and edmore to big rapids
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Three pole loads coming your way! Special setout by a short 39-car M-GRRTOL2 tonight. It is three 89ft-pole flats paired 60ft idler flats to keep space. M-GRRTOL2 just OSed East End Trowbridge, so it should make AnnPere around 1am. Shoving onto interchange track #1, with L-LANANN's earlier setout on #2.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:Three pole loads coming your way! Special setout by a short 39-car M-GRRTOL2 tonight. It is three 89ft-pole flats paired 60ft idler flats to keep space. M-GRRTOL2 just OSed East End Trowbridge, so it should make AnnPere around 1am. Shoving onto interchange track #1, with L-LANANN's earlier setout on #2.
Thanks for the heads up! The road train collected it on its way north earlier this morning.
Connor