Ann Arbor & Michigan Northern (AAMN)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Ann Arbor & Michigan Northern (AAMN)

Unread post by AARR »

This is my favorite paper railroad among the many I have created. I'll go into more detail later but the short story is I acquire AA & TSBY in March of 2006 as-was back then and grow it from there.

My roster contains:
- 6 GP35's w/ ALCo trucks #'s 389-394 (3 painted AA orange with TSBY markings and 3 TSBY blue/yellow but I don't know which numbers are which)
- 1 GP38 #1337 (rebuilt from GP40 with front radiator removed and part of radiator grill filled in like CMGN units. Currently in UP colors)
- 5 GP38-2's #'s 2176, 2184, 2185, 2186, 2190 (late 1972 version with fans spaced closely together. Currently painted GMTX colors)
- 2 GP39-2's (GP49 car bodies) #'s 2368, 2373 (currently painted UP yellow/gray)
- 3 GP38's #'s 7771, 7791, 7802 (currently painted AA orange)

Anyway, I am really impressed with those engine paintings you guys do. Would any one like to try for me? I'm thinking of trying to combine AA orange and MIGN green.

I am thinking of the TSBY scheme only with:
- MIGN green on top
- AA orange on bottom
- The ends with white or black or both cross stripes.

Any responses will be appreciated even if you want to create something completely different than what I suggested.

Thanks to all who participate and more info on the AAMN will be posted later.
Last edited by AARR on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ann Arbor & Michigan Northern (AAMN)

Unread post by AARR »

Operations:
TY (Toledo Yard) - Works Toledo yard which is mainly switching Chrysler vehicle ramps and delivering Jeep frames and sorting yard. Makes run to Temperance Industrial Track 3-5x per week to switch customers with main one being trash transload. Also works south once or twice a week to switch alpalpha elevator. CN, CSX, NS, and W&LE all run transfers to the yard to exchange cars.

TNTN (Toledo North Turn) - Works Toledo-Ann Arbor (Osmer) daily (sometimes 6-7 days per week) to switch customers and exchange trains with OSTN. Major customers include engine plant and cement terminal in Dundee (no longer makes cement but is used as distribution terminal and receives loads of cement which is trucked to local customers), and auto parts/plastic plant at end of Saline Branch. Also works interchange at Milan with NS.

OY - Operates as needed to switch Owosso yard, engine shops, and runs the Oakley and Middleton Branches as needed.

OSTN - Works Owosso-Ann Arbor (Osmer) M-F and sometimes weekends. Switches three customers Rhetech (3x per week), VCF Films (a car every other week), and Lott Elevator (small block of dry fertilizer 3-4x per year). Also switches interchange at AnnPere as needed. Once a week from Durand/HESR they pick up a block of distillers grain (22 cars) and ethanol (23-24 cars) and add it to cars of same commodity (from Ithaca) for forwarding to Toledo.

ONTN - Works Owosso-Clare M-F and sometimes weekends. Switches Alma interchange and customers. Largest customer is ethanol plant south of Ithaca whom ships a pair of unit trains each week (one is 68 car distillers grain and the other 70-71 car ethanol) as well as inbound corn and detaurant. PolyPavilion in Clare gets 20-30 cars a week of plastics for transloading.

CTN - Works Clare-Yuma from Cadillac. Switches sand plant in Yuma daily taking out an average of 19 cars per day, M-F, about 2/3 frac sand and 1/3 casting sand. South of Cadillac switches a few customers including Renosol in Farwell (2x per week), then in McBain they deliver wood poles every other week or so and the elevator gets a handful of cars every 3-4 months. Meets ONTN in Clare and exchanges cars before heading back to Cadillac.

CNTN - Works Cadillac-Traverse City/Petoskey, M-F.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Last edited by Ypsi on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
A GP35 (sorry no alco trucks)
If you can mash a P42 and a P32 together, I'm sure you can be Frankenstein with some alco trucks :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like it Ypsi! The long hood needs something but I don't know what. IIRC the MIGN green was a little darker. And I would put black or white safety stripes on the ends (black and white), a black under frame/fuel tank, and yellow reflective tape along the edge of the side sill. Its a keeper though 8)

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

AARR wrote:I like it Ypsi! The long hood needs something but I don't know what. IIRC the MIGN green was a little darker. And I would put black or white safety stripes on the ends (black and white), a black under frame/fuel tank, and yellow reflective tape along the edge of the side sill. Its a keeper though 8)
forgot the safty stripes! ok let me look at these changes really quick

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

edited the paint scheme

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AARR wrote:Operations Continued:
CNTN - Works Cadillac-Traverse City/Petoskey, M-F.
Works Cadillac (coke 1-3 per day, frac sand 2-3 per month, and potash 10-14 per week transloads). Works to Kalkaska daily (LNG plant south of Kalkaska ships 6-8 cars per day) and a few other smaller customers include pulpwood loading in Manton (1-4 car block per month), bagged frac sand in Kalkaska (2-4 cars per month), drilling chemicals in Kalkaska (1-3 cars every other week), plastic pellets transload in Mancelona (2-3 cars per month for East Jordan Plastics), frac sand in Elmira (2-3 car block every week or two for Halliburton - this is the site of the old Dundee Cement/Holnam/Holcim cement terminal that received up to 1000 cars per year but closed 2009), and plastic pellet transload in Petoskey (8-10 cars every other week split for Petoskey Plastics and Rogers City Plastics).

The Traverse City line is switched twice a week to the following customers. Cherry Growers ships 3-5 cars per month, the scrap yard ships 4-6 car blocks twice a week, the dessert plant receives a 2-3 car block of corn syrup twice a week, and the lumber yard near Williamsburg receives 3-5 cars a month.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There are several smaller customers on the Owosso to Clare segment. Two have significantly expanded capacity.

AgroCulture in Ashley now receives about 4-8 cars a week of liquid fertilizer feedstock (ammonia, nitrogen, sulfur, etc.). They also ship out around 3-7 cars a week of liquid fertilizer that goes all across North america and Mexico.

Shepherd Elevator is now shipping occasional 65 car unit grain which it builds from its locations in Shepherd (about 75%) and Rosebush (about 25%). Also both locations receive small blocks of fertilizer every 3-4 months.