CSX to sponser a Nascar ride

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

CSX to sponser a Nascar ride

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

http://www.jayski.com/news/teams/story/ ... -Team-News
CSX Transportation is teaming up with Front Row Motorsports and driver David Ragan to remind NASCAR fans to "Play it Safe" around railroad tracks. CSX will serve as a primary sponsor of Ragan's #34 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series entry at Richmond International Raceway on April 27, as a major associate in five additional events - Daytona (2/24), Michigan (6/16), Watkins Glen (8/11), Chicago (9/15) and Talladega (10/20) - and be featured on Ragan's #34 car throughout the entire 2013 season.
I might have to find the die cast of this car! :lol: They havent shown the paint scheme yet but hoping to see it soon.
Nick

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX to sponser a Nascar ride

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I wonder if the car will make it out of the pits on time? :mrgreen:

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

I think I would have liked to see a paint scheme that looked a little more YN3/YN4:
http://www.jayski.com/news/schemes/2013 ... am-Schemes

Press Release:
http://teamfrm.com/?p=1043

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

More of a PSA towards not trespassing on tracks while cars chase each other at 180 miles an hour. CSX connection to NASCAR goes back a few year (2009?) when Bobby Allison did our "Professional Railroader Focus" videos and the 'race to the finish' initiative towards injuries and safety. I don't watch NASCAR, but think it is interesting that CSX is putting their name out there.

Practice Safe CSX

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

David Ragan won at Talladega today. Too bad it wasn't the CSX paint scheme on the car.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Mark F wrote:David Ragan won at Talladega today. Too bad it wasn't the CSX paint scheme on the car.
Twas an awesome race today, minus the intermission

Newman has got to be tired of these restrictor plate wrecks...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

MQT3001 wrote:
Mark F wrote:David Ragan won at Talladega today. Too bad it wasn't the CSX paint scheme on the car.
Twas an awesome race today, minus the intermission

Newman has got to be tired of these restrictor plate wrecks...
Was great to see the underdogs finish 1st and 2nd. Congrats to Ragan and his guys!

MQT, he sounded like it in his interview. That was one heck of a violent wreck, with Kurt Busch flipping on top of him. :shock:
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

While is wasn't the full paint scheme, CSX was riding around Talladega yesterday:

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/saf ... channel=60

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

David Ragan is running the CSX car tonight in the All-Star race. The CSX driver uniform looks slick.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Mark F wrote:David Ragan is running the CSX car tonight in the All-Star race. The CSX driver uniform looks slick.
It all looks good, if now we could get the rain to stop.... :|

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Couldn't help but have a picture of me taken with David Ragan's Pitbox, featuring the decals, today. Didn't get a picture of his car, as it was not out yet. We had pitpasses for the weekend, definitely worth the extra cost. :)
CSX "Play it Safe" by MQT3001, on Flickr

Trains + NASCAR = 8)

It's too bad Stewart didn't win. My dad had a slightly better day, as his 4th pick, Biffle won. He had to keep choosing new ones after first picking Gordon, who wrecked, than Khane, who wrecked, then Junior, who's engine blew up. :lol:

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

CSX is the primary sponsor on David Ragan's car again this weekend at Indy.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

And befitting anything with CSX on it - will probably wreck

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Driver is supposed to be coming out to Avon and visiting some point this week, and that might have already happened. Car will be brought out there for employees to look at, he'll sign autographs, etc. I'm going to offer him the last Diet Mt Dew if I can have his car. I saw that in a commercial, and it worked. Short of that, I'll trade him one of our Genset locomotives for the car.

<edit> Guess he was out there today already. Brought the car and them up in the MOW Garage.

Practice Safe CSX

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

Did ya get him behind the wheel of a Renzenberger van to earn his keep?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

chriiis wrote:Did ya get him behind the wheel of a Renzenberger van to earn his keep?
No, but he did tour the yard with a film crew. Visited the hump tower, east end Yardmaster, etc. One Trainmaster challenged him to a lap around the yard. If it was at his quitting time, he probably would have won.

In hindsight, I wish we had traded a Genset for his car, as it didn't have the motor in it. Would have been a fair trade that way. If it had the motor, I would have felt bad giving him a lemon.

Practice Safe CSX

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

I just stumbled onto this thread.

For all of you that were (are) critical of NS and their heritage locomotive scheme, my quick (read simple and unvetted) analysis shows it to be a bargain.

Estimates to paint a railroad that I have seen published publicly run from $15,000 to $30,000. Let's take the high number. 20 locomotives at $30K each is $600,000. Throw in another $400,000 for logistics, publicity, etc. and you have $1 Million.

Business Insider reports that NASCAR sponsorships run from $5 MILLION to $35 MILLION.

Holy crap! I can spend $600K on locomotive paint that will last for years or I can spend Millions on a half season of NASCAR.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Holy crap! I can spend $600K on locomotive paint that will last for years or I can spend Millions on a half season of NASCAR.
And when you spend that millions of dollars on Nascar, you can use it as a tax deduction since you went with the public safety message. If CSX has gone with the "xxx tons on a gallon of fuel" route it would be just a cost of doing business, like painting a loco.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Typhoon wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:
And when you spend that millions of dollars on Nascar, you can use it as a tax deduction since you went with the public safety message. If CSX has gone with the "xxx tons on a gallon of fuel" route it would be just a cost of doing business, like painting a loco.
In 2011, CSX had a tax liability of negative $1.1 Billion. I don't think the tax deduction was relevant. In addition, the cost of acquiring and painting locomotives is a legitimate business expense and is an allowable deduction.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:
In 2011, CSX had a tax liability of negative $1.1 Billion. I don't think the tax deduction was relevant.
Really? How do you not see that as relevant? Do you know what it would have been without the "I brake for trains" deduction?

That is what I thought.

Now once you get beyond that, there is also a real advertisment advantage. The NS heritage program got put out in railroad magazines, and in foamer wet dreams.

CSXs approach got it into the USA today,

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... d/2116509/

not to mention on TV every Sunday, watched by milllions of people.

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/ ... tings-2013

"In addition to its 13-year in-season reign, the 2013 NASCAR on FOX season also outperformed the NBA Playoffs on ABC by +41% (4.8 vs. 3.4), as well as complete NBA Conference Finals coverage on all networks by +7% (4.8 vs. 4.5). NASCAR on FOX is the only major sport on a broadcast network not to post a year-to-year ratings decline this year. NASCAR on FOX also continues to be a ratings force among male viewers watching events live. Compared to broadcast network prime time entertainment programming, live NASCAR on FOX viewership ranks No. 2 among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54 from February through the end of the broadcast season."

I am sure the turnout in Spencer rivaled that......