NYC Elmore Branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

NYC Elmore Branch

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Just had a few quick questions regarding the old branch thru Elmore, OH. I know the branch cut off on the curve at CP 282 (Milbury, OH) and went south. What industries did it serve in Elmore and south? Also, when was the line pulled up?

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NYC Elmore Branch

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

1976 is what the rail trail people list as when it was abandoned, though I'm not sure when the rails were pulled up or if that year refers to the entire line or not (aside from the small parts still used in Fremont and Bellevue)

Here's a thread I posted about what some of this line looks like these days:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24798

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

I was told that the Genoa-Elmore section one of the last section in use. Not sure how far past Elmore they were running, could have still been running to Lindsey.. I'm also not sure when the Fremont section was turned over to NW/NS, maybe someone on here knows more about that section. I seen Pictures of CR running trains into genoa in the earily 80's. I believe the tracks were pulled up in 85/86ish. I know they served the grain elevators in genoa, elmore and a Small oil industry in genoa. Some of the Genoa's other industries that LSMS/NYC/PC/CR might had served is the Quarry, the Warehouses, and Gorden Lumber. This branch used to be the main line between Toledo and Cleveland before the water level route was built.
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I’m curious about a very small stretch of the line that dead ends about a quarter of a mile past the Route 20/6 bypass. Was this small segment of rail re-laid from the bypass to help build the energy plant? Or is this original rail that had been spared?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

bluestreak81 wrote:I’m curious about a very small stretch of the line that dead ends about a quarter of a mile past the Route 20/6 bypass. Was this small segment of rail re-laid from the bypass to help build the energy plant? Or is this original rail that had been spared?
Relaid with dreams of revenue that never came.
Bottom text.