Northwest Michigan State Railway Franchises

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Northwest Michigan State Railway Franchises

Unread post by GR Ron »

OK - here we go. Thanks for the idea and inspiration Old Hogger! :D First video taken with the new Hot Wheels Video Racer that I have uploaded. HO Scale - Watch for more as I get better at this.

GTW Extra 6404 East hauls a detour train from my son's layout through Milten Heights this afternoon, 12-31-2012.

Enjoy.
GR Ron

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Northwest Michigan State Railway Franchises

Unread post by AARR »

Looking forward to more that shows other parts of your layout
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

I "recently" caught GTW 6404 (GP40) and 4553 (GP9) heading up a train eastbound through Downtown Milten headed towards Saginaw Michigan on Monday, March 3, 1980. (HO Scale)

Later on, I was able to video the C&O 3028 heading up the south Local through Milten from Traverse City.
3028 will cross the GTW diamond in another block.

Enjoy
GR Ron

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice clickity clack sound! I enjoyed your video and looking forward to more.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

Any of you know if the new plastic handrail sets fit the old run Athearn metal equipped shells? (GP40-2 in particular). I can find no metal handrail kits anywhere in the world!!!!! I will order a plastic set if I know they are close........
GR Ron

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

GR Ron wrote:Any of you know if the new plastic handrail sets fit the old run Athearn metal equipped shells? (GP40-2 in particular). I can find no metal handrail kits anywhere in the world!!!!! I will order a plastic set if I know they are close........
I have been told that they will fit, but have never done it myself.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

Hey all - I caught the C&O West Michigan Franchises Santa Train making is first annual journey south through West Michigan in 1980 (12-25-2013). Chessie used the Pere Marquette 1222, an old Amtrak RPO and Dome for support, and C&O #3, now owned by the Superintendent of the West Michigan Franchise of the C&O Railway. Although we contracted with Santa (ordered him from eBay) several months ago, Santa was a no show (I lost him). Regardless, the train ran, albeit with smaller crowds showing up than anticipated. I guess 3 cent Candy Canes are not as much of a draw as the Jolly Old man himself.

First Stop - Milten, Michigan

Sitting across the GTW Diamond......

The Power.....

The Chase Train waiting a bit up the line. B&O GP40-2 4435 and Safety Caboose 903287

The Leroy Fire Department giving the 1222 a drink of water.......

A bit further south - a view of the train crossing the river.

And the Chase Train:

There is no snow because it is really March 8, 1980 in my operating rotation, so you have to pretend there is snow. (Maybe that has something to do with the no show Santa and thin crowds??) At the rate I am going, it will be about March 20th next December, maybe that will help.

Enjoy all.
GR Ron

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

Thursday April 3, 1980. I caught the C&O South Local for a bit today. The train left Traverse City about 11:30 this morning. I caught it a few miles down the line southbound passing the Ross Koepea Consumers Power Generating Plant, traveling between the power lines, sand dunes and Lake Michigan. It is carrying traffic for the GTW interchange at Milten, Hooker Chemicals at Micthell and a load of lumber for Thom's Building Supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxVqVL ... e=youtu.be
(Sorry cannot get the embed to work)

Here is the train picking up a residue 112 tanker (UN 1005 - Anhydrous Ammonia) from Scott Gas at Leroy Michigan.

Here is as far south as the train goes. It has dropped off most of the train at Wade (Hughes siding), and brought a lone BN Boxcar to Thom's. It is making the swap, soon to head back north.

Here are three views of the crew preparing to pick up an empty Conrail Hi Cube at Thor Industries, Wade Michigan, before heading back north to Traverse City.

Merry Christmas to all of you who check this site out occasionally. Share some holiday transportation!
GR Ron

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nicely done, GR Ron.