My 4x8 layout

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

My 4x8 layout

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I've been slowly working on this 4x8. thought i would share a few pics of the progress:

The table built and ready:

gluing roadbed down with help from the little girl:

Testing a train:

another view:

a couple overview shots:

a couple progress shots:

Mocked up signals:
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: My 4x8 layout

Unread post by AARR »

Nice start. Looking forward to your updates!

Edit - Looks like it will someday be part of a larger layout
Last edited by AARR on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

AARR wrote:Nice start. Looking forward to your updates!
Me too....even if it's HO....;-)
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like it will someday be part of a larger layout
yes, I was thinking of eventually having a 2x8' or 2x6' yard in this location were the track dead ends at the long side of the table. Or at the very least a small detachable staging yard with a couple tracks.

Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ogauge47 »

Looking good. What track are you using? Is it possible to show an inventory on what you used? I am in the process of building an HO layout an a 4x8 and really like what you did.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

ogauge47,

The track plan is not my own. I am using a plan from an old model railroader. I used a mix of Atlas snap and flex track. the turnouts are atlas #4 and a couple atlas snap switches. I am also attempting to use some pieces of micro engineering code 70 flex for a couple sidings. Below is a picture of the track plan showing the required pieces. The only changes I made were to substitute some flex track here and there. Other wise I followed the plan pretty closely.

Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I don't remember what year it was, but I have the issue here in my apartment somewhere with that track plan. It'll be interesting to see how your layout progresses as I thought it was an interesting one to build sometime if I had room for a 4x8 layout in the future.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

KVERBERK wrote:ogauge47,

The track plan is not my own. I am using a plan from an old model railroader. I used a mix of Atlas snap and flex track. the turnouts are atlas #4 and a couple atlas snap switches. I am also attempting to use some pieces of micro engineering code 70 flex for a couple sidings. Below is a picture of the track plan showing the required pieces. The only changes I made were to substitute some flex track here and there. Other wise I followed the plan pretty closely.

IIRC, Kalmbach's staff built that at the NMRA national train show in St. Louis in 2001. I think that would make the magazine the May 2001 issue. I remember reading and re-reading the article they wrote about the layout they were planning to build at the show that year. I found it to be quite inspirational, especially in light of the fact that they didn't utilize the ever popular backdrop divider in the center of the layout. It was one of my favorite layouts in a small space I ever read about in Model Railroader, even though it was set in the plains because with the addition of several trees, it could also be set in Michigan.

I am also looking forward to seeing more of your progress as you build your layout. It looks pretty neat so far.
~ Charles W.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Awesome looking layout! I think TSBY equipment would look good on it. :wink:
Nick

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:Awesome looking layout! I think TSBY equipment would look good on it. :wink:
I second that! The layout could model something around the Cadillac area maybe? :)
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Just a quick update on the 4x8. Progress has been slow, mostly working on tweeking the track and doing under table wiring. I am going to run an MRC prodigy advance system. It will be wired as a single block mostly for DCC operation but I am going to try and include a switch to allow an MRC DC power pack to power the bus. This will allow me to run loco'c that aren't DCC yet. Most recent work completed: dropping feeders and soldering some of the track joints.
Here is a pic of one of the feeders ready to be soldered to the main bus:

Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Isn't this the Turtle Creek layout plan from like 2002? I almost built this in N-scale a few years ago. Great starter layout plan.
Big Easy

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Looks like your assistant is just a year or so older than my own apprentice! Is she a rail nerd or just humoring you in the picture? My daughter is a big fan of "choo choo wideo"s, but I don't think she'll be able to participate much this summer in the garage railroading.

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Pudgy, no I think this layout is called the Spokane and northern or something similar. I don't have it in front of me right now, but yes its is an older plan from MR that looked like good first layout.

Ben, Yes she is three. She actually loves to work on the layout. I think she doesn't care about the trains as much as she just enjoys spending time with dad. Weather I'm working on the car, doing dishes or chasing the GLC she is always there wanting to be involved. So I'll enjoy that as long as I can!

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Chris7092
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chris7092 »

Very nice - makes me excited to start my layout. Moving into the new house in a few weeks and it has a model railroad-ready room in the basement. Keep up the good work!

Chris

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Here is a quick update:

finally all the track is in place. Joints have been soldered, and feeder wires are all in place and soldered to the track bus.

MRC prodigy advance is mounted under the table with extention plates mounted on each side of the table.

A simple silding drawer is mounted in one corner with an MRC DC power pack.

The layout is wired as a single block with with both the DCC and DC power packs feeding the track bus through a Three position ON/OFF/ON switch. Top position sends DC power, middle off, bottoom sends DCC.

2 caboose ground throws and 3 atlas under table switch machines have been installed. the remaining tuenouts will have atlas under table machines.

Painted the outside of the layout for a more finished look.

Next step is to weather the track and then wire in some signals. Enjoy!
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like you have some skilled child labor going there :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

I see you used cork sheet in a couple spots, Make sure you have a good way to hold that down when you do scenery. I've got some cork sheet under my yard and when I started doing scenery it swelled up and now I have ripples in the middle of my yard. I've been removing as much sheet as I could before I redo all the scenery

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

AARR wrote:Looks like you have some skilled child labor going there :D
When she's not laboring on the RR, she's busy makng Nike tennis shoes.... :mrgreen:

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Nice progress on your layout. Do you plan to expand off the table such as staging?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."