Van Wert Super Site bids have begun for RR...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Van Wert Super Site bids have begun for RR...

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

The Van Wert Supersite bids have begun for the railroad and RR bridge construction. I believe there is around 1600 acres for the supersite. That was in the City Council news in the local papers. Work is supposed to be done by November/December of 2013. I had the chance to see a copy of the plan awhile back. Pretty much from the diamond at the CF&E mainline in VW clear out to at least US 127/224. It may even be built behind Walmart to just west of the supersite location. Couldn' really tell from the plans. The railroad portion was a little over 2 million dollars and the bridge construction was $800,000/850,000. About 4500' of new track will be built. I don't know if this includes from the diamond all the way out or not. They will be rehabbing the bridge behind Mace Body Shop just north of the junction. Alot of the track in place now is light in weight. Looks like a new bridge will be built north of US 30 over Town Creek for it. Also, that plan showed a #10 turnout by PR Tech for a siding. Didn't show another turnout there for a runaround. So, not sure if they're getting a siding or if it's part of the Supersite project. Might have been another #10 turnout along the ROW. Also, showed a couple 10 degree curves in the plan going out towards the supersite. There's also a contingency for a railroad yard if and when a company would need it. I believe it is where the yard used to be just north of US 30. Going to be interesting to see the railroad built to nowhere commence. Hopefully, the State of Ohio really is open for business like they said at the North Baltimore intermodal terminal grand opening. We'll see.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Van Wert Super Site bids have begun for RR...

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Hopefully the rail and other materials will come in by rail so I can video it! Is PR Tech the business by the recycle center? I remember reading early this year that if the track was built they wanted access.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Long live the Cincinnati Northern! :D Its gonna be funny to see railroad track running under the highway bridge on US 30 once again(I recall seeing track under it as a child back in the 80's). What'll be even more interesting is if they resurrect the old CN's yard there north of 30. Gotta tell Jim Brown about this, he'd get a kick out of knowing that part of the old CN is getting rebuilt in Van Wert once again.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Good! I hope PR Tech uses the siding. That would be good to gain a rail customer right off the bat. We'll have to wait and see.

Kinda neat to see the old Cincinnati Northern get some new track. Hopefully, one day the CF&E will really get to use it.

PW

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Here they are going all the way to Cecil with a new intermodal terminal at Scott...

Hey, it could happen :wink: