The Monon RR (Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

The Monon RR (Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville)

Unread post by heartlandguy »

Formed originally in 1879, the Chicago, Indianapolis, & Louisville RR, commonly known as the Monon RR, cris-crosses Indiana on 790 miles of track. Its two mainlines stretch from Chicago, IL to Indianapolis, IN, and Michigan City, IN to Louisville, KY. Both lines cross each other, with a wye in each quadrant, at Monon, IN. Thus, the Monon got its nickname. The railroad is unique in many different ways. Its hilly nature and curvature in Southern Indiana make it a great line for scenic photography. The line features street running in New Albany and Bedford, IN and numerous semaphore signals, especially between Bedford and Borden, IN and Monon and Crawfordsville, IN. Any other locations have searchlights...

The line is divided into 5 subdivisions, with a few branchlines as well (1 to tap the Indiana coalfields):
-Lake Michigan Sub (Monon-Michigan City)
-Hammond Sub (Monon-Hammond)
-Southeast-Indy Sub (Monon-Indianapolis)
-Lafayette Sub (Monon-Greencastle)
-Bloomington Sub (Greencastle-Louisville)
-Bear Run Branch (Wallace Jct-Victoria)
-Paoli Branch (Orleans-Paoli)
-Crane Branch (Bedford-Crane)

The Monon paints their freight units in the Black and Gold scheme of Purdue University, and their passenger (OCS) scheme in the Red and Gray scheme of Wabash University. The Monon also has specially lettered and painted SD40-2s (3300-3305) for all 5 of the universities along its line.

Roster:
F3A: CIL 98-A, 99-A (reserved for Office Car Special)
U23B: (7) CIL 601-608
RS2: (8) CIL 1050-1057 (oldest units on roster)
SW1500: (6) CIL 1060-1065
GP35H (ex-AA): (2) CIL 1066-1067
GP38AC (ex-TC&P): (6) CIL 1068-1073
GP38-2 (ex-TSt.L): (3) CIL 1074-1076
GP35E (ex-PC): (5) CIL 2000-2004
GP38E (ex-PC): (7) CIL 2005-2011
GP40E (ex-PC): (11) CIL 2012-2022
SD38-2: (20) CIL 2031-2050
SD40-2: (30) CIL 3300-3329
SD45: (14) CIL 3330-3344
C40-8W: (25) CIL 3345-3373
C420: (17) CIL 3374-3390
AC60CW (ex-AA): (1) CIL 4000
Last edited by heartlandguy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 am, edited 11 times in total.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: The Monon RR (Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville)

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Does this mean MQT needs to put the bridge back in in Michigan City? It was removed during a triple-tracking project last spring... :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:Does this mean MQT needs to put the bridge back in in Michigan City? It was removed during a triple-tracking project last spring... :lol:
Where was/is the bridge at in Michigan City? Don't think we are going to run much traffic up that way aside from coal/grain trains and a local.

EDIT: Is it that swing bridge by the Marina?
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

heartlandguy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Does this mean MQT needs to put the bridge back in in Michigan City? It was removed during a triple-tracking project last spring... :lol:
Where was/is the bridge at in Michigan City? Don't think we are going to run much traffic up that way aside from coal/grain trains and a local.

Opps, I was thinking about a NS bridge (former NKP). Monon Crossed the Pere Marquette/C&O/CSX at the east end of the Michigan City Siding. No big deal to put in diamonds, but it's triple track, and you might have some delays waiting to cross, but our dispatchers are pretty nice to connecting roads.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

MQT3001 wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:

Opps, I was thinking about a NS bridge (former NKP). Monon Crossed the Pere Marquette/C&O/CSX at the east end of the Michigan City Siding. No big deal to put in diamonds, but it's triple track, and you might have some delays waiting to cross, but our dispatchers are pretty nice to connecting roads.
LOL now we're going to make NS AND CIR mad lol sorry but if you've seen what happens to NS when TSCR and MQT run trains on it west of Porter then you'll know. Speaking of which we have 4 TSCR trains going east right now tying Porter up for the next half hour. :twisted:
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT & TSCR now pays for 40% of the maintenance west of Porter. When we did the upgrading, we put in all 60 mph switches and re-did the Amtrak connection so they can enter the NS at 60 rather than 10.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

MQT3001 wrote:MQT & TSCR now pays for 40% of the maintenance west of Porter. When we did the upgrading, we put in all 60 mph switches and re-did the Amtrak connection so they can enter the NS at 60 rather than 10.
It all comes full circle... We cost NS that money by tying up Porter for hours and hours so it is like NS is paying almost that 40% becuase AMTRAK and most NS trains are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind schedule when they get to Porter.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:[quote="MQT3001], I was thinking about a NS bridge (former NKP). Monon Crossed the Pere Marquette/C&O/CSX at the east end of the Michigan City Siding. No big deal to put in diamonds, but it's triple track, and you might have some delays waiting to cross, but our dispatchers are pretty nice to connecting roads.
LOL now we're going to make NS AND CIR mad lol sorry but if you've seen what happens to NS when TSCR and MQT run trains on it west of Porter then you'll know. Speaking of which we have 4 TSCR trains going east right now tying Porter up for the next half hour. :twisted:
[/quote][/quote]

:lol: LOL, I've heard of the paper RR wonderland known as Porter (CP Annoyance?). Let me see if I can get this straight. MQT, your tracks go by the Amtrak station, correct? We cross the NS at Otis, IN, and I'm not sure where the TCSR is. Figured I was heading into a hornet's nest with this line to Michigan City. ;)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

heartlandguy wrote: :lol: LOL, I've heard of the paper RR wonderland known as Porter (CP Annoyance?). Let me see if I can get this straight. MQT, your tracks go by the Amtrak station, correct? We cross the NS at Otis, IN, and I'm not sure where the TCSR is. Figured I was heading into a hornet's nest with this line to Michigan City. ;)
CP Annoyance is just that, and is just to the east (railroad-wise, it's really north) of the real-life CSX over the Chicago South Shore. MQT double track meets TSCR double track and becomes MQT triple track from CP Annoyance to CP West Michigan City, and from there it's double track to Porter Junction. If you look at Google maps, find the CSX in Michigan city, and go to the southern end of the curve where CSX goes from East/west to North/South, right where the East End of the Michigan City siding is (in real-life). This is where the old diamonds and connection was.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
heartlandguy wrote: :lol: LOL, I've heard of the paper RR wonderland known as Porter (CP Annoyance?). Let me see if I can get this straight. MQT, your tracks go by the Amtrak station, correct? We cross the NS at Otis, IN, and I'm not sure where the TCSR is. Figured I was heading into a hornet's nest with this line to Michigan City. ;)
CP Annoyance is just that, and is just to the east (railroad-wise, it's really north) of the real-life CSX over the Chicago South Shore. MQT double track meets TSCR double track and becomes MQT triple track from CP Annoyance to CP West Michigan City, and from there it's double track to Porter Junction. If you look at Google maps, find the CSX in Michigan city, and go to the southern end of the curve where CSX goes from East/west to North/South, right where the East End of the Michigan City siding is (in real-life). This is where the old diamonds and connection was.
Ah yes, ok, I know where I am now. So, triple track diamonds at an angle. Fun! :twisted:

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

The Monon has purchased a pair of GP35Hs from the Ann Arbor Railroad, and are expected to come at the beginning of this week, via MQT. They both have HEP generators installed, and may occasionally tag along with the OCS or Track Geometry train, but will mainly stay in mainline/yard switcher service.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Since it appears you took over the real Monon, you should know that the real Monon ended up around Hammond, IN and State Line Tower where they used the Chicago & Western Indiana(C&WI) the rest of the way into the Windy City. Since the C&WI connects to the BRC near Clearing yard, I will take your units you purchased from me and deliver them to the BRC, who will deliver them to you.

My PC will put the diamonds back in at Wanatah, LaCrosse, San Pierre, Frankfort, and Gosport since you "reactivated" the line :wink: Just understand that at Wanatah and LaCrosse my trains have priority since those are my two key mainlines on my system. You'll be dealing with NS at Frankfort, who seem to stab everything except our intermodal trains on our branchline that goes through there.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

conrailman75 wrote:Since it appears you took over the real Monon, you should know that the real Monon ended up around Hammond, IN and State Line Tower where they used the Chicago & Western Indiana(C&WI) the rest of the way into the Windy City. Since the C&WI connects to the BRC near Clearing yard, I will take your units you purchased from me and deliver them to the BRC, who will deliver them to you.

My PC will put the diamonds back in at Wanatah, LaCrosse, San Pierre, Frankfort, and Gosport since you "reactivated" the line :wink: Just understand that at Wanatah and LaCrosse my trains have priority since those are my two key mainlines on my system. You'll be dealing with NS at Frankfort, who seem to stab everything except our intermodal trains on our branchline that goes through there.
Yep, I did know that. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the help with some of the diamonds. I swear, the stretch between Monon and Michigan City is going to qualify a record of most RR diamonds or something. :lol: Our tracks have been rebuilt on both sides at LaCrosse, San Pierre, and Gosport, so all you'll have to do is hook up the diamond. Haven't reached Wanatah yet, so I'll help out with that one. Same with Frankfort (thanks for the tip about NS).

Priority at LaCrosse and Wanatah, roger.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

You also cross TSCR's busiest mainline with up to 130 trains a day so can we install the diamond tomorrow? Mondays are slow days and we are still playing catchup since WCSR clogged up our Maumee yard.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:You also cross TSCR's busiest mainline with up to 130 trains a day so can we install the diamond tomorrow? Mondays are slow days and we are still playing catchup since WCSR clogged up our Maumee yard.
Where is this at?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

heartlandguy wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:Since it appears you took over the real Monon, you should know that the real Monon ended up around Hammond, IN and State Line Tower where they used the Chicago & Western Indiana(C&WI) the rest of the way into the Windy City. Since the C&WI connects to the BRC near Clearing yard, I will take your units you purchased from me and deliver them to the BRC, who will deliver them to you.

Thanks for the help with some of the diamonds. I swear, the stretch between Monon and Michigan City is going to qualify a record of most RR diamonds or something. :lol: Our tracks have been rebuilt on both sides at LaCrosse, San Pierre, and Gosport, so all you'll have to do is hook up the diamond. Haven't reached Wanatah yet, so I'll help out with that one. Same with Frankfort (thanks for the tip about NS).

Yeah, that's what happens when you build a north south railroad across all these east-west lines :lol:
From Monon north to Michigan City the line crosses:
PC at San Pierre(ex NYC Kankakee Branch)
Appalachian Western at Wilder(ex EL mainline)
PC at LaCrosse(ex PRR Cols. to Chicago mainline)
CKIN at LaCrosse(ex C&O mainline)
NS at South Wanatah(ex NKP mainline)
PC at Wanatah(ex PRR Ft. Wayne mainline)
CN at Haskells(ex GTW mainline)
CSX at Alida(ex B&O mainline)
WSCR at Westville(ex WAB Fourth District line)
NS at Otis(ex NYC mainline)
MQT at Michigan City(ex PM mainline)
Amtrak at Michigan City(ex NYC Michigan mainline)

So that's at least 12 diamonds your line to Michigan City crosses! Not counting whatever DT&I comes up with for his TSCR system :wink:
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

conrailman75 wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:

Yeah, that's what happens when you build a north south railroad across all these east-west lines :lol:
From Monon north to Michigan City the line crosses:
PC at San Pierre(ex NYC Kankakee Branch)
Appalachian Western at Wilder(ex EL mainline)
PC at LaCrosse(ex PRR Cols. to Chicago mainline)
CKIN at LaCrosse(ex C&O mainline)
NS at South Wanatah(ex NKP mainline)
PC at Wanatah(ex PRR Ft. Wayne mainline)
CN at Haskells(ex GTW mainline)
CSX at Alida(ex B&O mainline)
WSCR at Westville(ex WAB Fourth District line)
NS at Otis(ex NYC mainline)
MQT at Michigan City(ex PM mainline)
Amtrak at Michigan City(ex NYC Michigan mainline)

So that's at least 12 diamonds your line to Michigan City crosses! Not counting whatever DT&I comes up with for his TSCR system :wink:
:shock: I didn't even know about the Wabash. Dang... Thank gosh we only run a turn and a few unit trains up the Lake Michigan Sub.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

T-CSX (CSX Transfer) ran up to Barr Yard to pick the 2 ex AA GP35Hs that came via MQT last night. CIL 1050, an RS-2, did the honors, and took them back to our yard in Hammond.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

heartlandguy wrote:T-CSX (CSX Transfer) ran up to Barr Yard to pick the 2 ex AA GP35Hs that came via MQT last night. CIL 1050, an RS-2, did the honors, and took them back to our yard in Hammond.
We had them pull a couple depressed flats from the David B Cook Nuclear Power Plant near St. Joseph, MI on the way, so we had them crewed from AnnPere as soon as AA dropped them off. We had them there by 2pm CDT. The crew said they ran pretty nice.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:T-CSX (CSX Transfer) ran up to Barr Yard to pick the 2 ex AA GP35Hs that came via MQT last night. CIL 1050, an RS-2, did the honors, and took them back to our yard in Hammond.
We had them pull a couple depressed flats from the David B Cook Nuclear Power Plant near St. Joseph, MI on the way, so we had them crewed from AnnPere as soon as AA dropped them off. We had them there by 2pm CDT. The crew said they ran pretty nice.
Cool! Good to hear they worked well for you. I don't think we will be disappointed with them!