Milford Jct. among finalists for large Ag facility

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Milford Jct. among finalists for large Ag facility

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://www.staceypageonline.com/2012/09 ... -facility/

Along with another Indiana site and sites in Ohio. Not sure what type of customer is looking. As I had posted on the Indiana RR board, I doubt that it would be ethanol considering the state of industry in general and the number of employees they're looking at hiring when the facility is up and running.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Milford Jct. among finalists for large Ag facility

Unread post by JoJames »

Railex?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Sounds like a transload facility like they are putting in at Defiance.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I had thought about that too, but the employment figure being tossed around in the article is a lot higher than what the grain facility in Defiance is looking at hiring (75 for this and 15 in Defiance if I remember right). On the other hand that would make more sense in the call for 2 carrier access, the car count for each train and that city water isn't needed.
MagnumForce wrote:Sounds like a transload facility like they are putting in at Defiance.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Perhaps it's TEH BRNAD NEW INERMODAL FACULTY OF MILF JUNC IND :lol:

All kidding aside, I'm interested to know a little more about this as well. Two carrier access is cool, that means the Marion Branch may get just a little more interesting!
Bottom text.

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

Since i'm only 8 miles north of Milford Juncton, this would be a major source of traffic for CSX and NS and add some action in the MJ area. But keep in mind area residents sucessfully fought off a proposed ethanol plant in the same area just a few years ago. The well-to-do people of nearby Syracuse funded the opposition with the signs of "NO ETHANOL" around the Junction. So, we'll see if this ag facility arouses the same passion as the proposed ethanol plant did. Berkmeister

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

More excitement probably means losing the Position Lights.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:More excitement probably means losing the Position Lights.
At Milford Junction, maybe. But probably not across the entire Branch all at once.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

PTC will make that system obsolete before that facility gets completely. All new signals everywhere I've seen.

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

A friend told me yesterday that the Ag facility near Milford Junction is a "go". I noticed several days ago that Kosciusko County Road 1350 North appears to be permanently closed, with cement blocks, steel posts and gates and "no trespassing" signs on both gates, the west sign near Old State Road 15 and the east sign near C.R. 100 East. This gravel road connects Old 15 to C.R. 100 East, following along CSX's Garrett Sub-Division. I was told NS already has a few surveyor stakes down for their spur from their Marion District mainline towards the cornfields north of C.R. 1350 North. CSX will also build a spur into the facility from the south. The fertilizer plant will be built first, followed by a grain facility later on. My friend read this in a recent Goshen News article. He also mentioned that when both facilities are open, 200 new jobs will be created. Berkmeister

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

This facility may help rail traffic, but hurts Milford Jct fanning, as old 15 is now closed for good from the county line road to the Milford Jct. area south of the CSX crossing.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

rob46580 wrote:This facility may help rail traffic, but hurts Milford Jct fanning, as old 15 is now closed for good from the county line road to the Milford Jct. area south of the CSX crossing.
This just means you can't get to Milford Junction from the north is all. From the north, you can still go down "new" 15, make the left right after the bridge over the CSX main, and drive back down to old 15 again and get to Milford Jct from the south side. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because it has been over a year since I've been up that way.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Yes, you can still do that, but as far as being off railroad property, it will be tough, unsure if a dead end will form just south of csx on old 15 or what so far.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

berkmeister wrote:Since i'm only 8 miles north of Milford Juncton, this would be a major source of traffic for CSX and NS and add some action in the MJ area. But keep in mind area residents sucessfully fought off a proposed ethanol plant in the same area just a few years ago. The well-to-do people of nearby Syracuse funded the opposition with the signs of "NO ETHANOL" around the Junction. So, we'll see if this ag facility arouses the same passion as the proposed ethanol plant did. Berkmeister

Why would Big Business care about what local sentiment is? Silly they'd even think it would make a difference.
If I were the residents in the modular home on the north side of the tracks, or any of the residents in that stretch, I'd be a little POed that I have to go clear up to 6, and over to 15, or to the county road that brings you to the overpass over the tracks, if I wanted to head south, or simply go into Milford to the post office, etc.
Last edited by NSSD60M on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

NSSD60M wrote:
berkmeister wrote:Since i'm only 8 miles north of Milford Juncton, this would be a major source of traffic for CSX and NS and add some action in the MJ area. But keep in mind area residents sucessfully fought off a proposed ethanol plant in the same area just a few years ago. The well-to-do people of nearby Syracuse funded the opposition with the signs of "NO ETHANOL" around the Junction. So, we'll see if this ag facility arouses the same passion as the proposed ethanol plant did. Berkmeister

Why would Big Business care about what local sentiment is? Silly they'd even think it would make a difference.
If I were the residents in the modular home, on the north side of the tracks, I'd be a little POed that I have to go clear up to 6, and over to 15, if I wanted to head south, or simply go into Milford to the post office, etc.
If big business bowed down to local sentiment, nothing would ever be built anywhere.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Typhoon wrote:
NSSD60M wrote:

If I were the residents in the modular home, on the north side of the tracks, I'd be a little POed that I have to go clear up to 6, and over to 15, if I wanted to head south, or simply go into Milford to the post office, etc.
If big business bowed down to local sentiment, nothing would ever be built anywhere.
As long as it brings in the billions, screw everyone. Seems to be the mentality these days.
As a railfan, and employee in the industry (not necessarily freight...) I do agree it will be interesting to see what rail traffic it brings.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

NSSD60M wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
NSSD60M wrote:

As long as it brings in the billions, screw everyone. Seems to be the mentality these days.
The mentality is more like, if it impacts me in the least, screw everyone else it might benefit in the area.

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Well, the elderly couple who lived in that moduler home on Old State Road 15 moved out after a public action was held in their front yard Saturday, January 19th, 2013. I drove by there, vehicles parked along the road and in the fields, hundreds of people there with furniture and appliances scattered in the front yard. As posted by Rob, Old St. Rd. 15 is permanently closed to public traffic as of last Friday, March 1st. From County Line Road, (Elkhart/Kosciusko Counties) south to North Street, which runs east/west through Milford Junction. Kosciusko County Highway Dept. has erected reflective barriers on each end of the now closed Old 15. The steel gate posts on each end have not had their gates installed yet. I'm thinking CGB bought the house and property of that couple. This house could serve as a temporary office for CGB or for the utilties and construction companies that most certainly will be there. Rob, the end of Old 15 at North St. near the CSX grade crossing could become a "public" railfanning spot if this crossing is closed, then taken out. CSX has closed numerous rural grade crossings along the Chicago route in the last several years. Berk

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Tru Pointe Co-Op based from Piqua Ohio is the owner of the new facility.
Web site http://www.trupointecustomerdriven.com

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

berkmeister wrote:Well, the elderly couple who lived in that moduler home on Old State Road 15 moved out after a public action was held in their front yard Saturday, January 19th, 2013. I drove by there, vehicles parked along the road and in the fields, hundreds of people there with furniture and appliances scattered in the front yard. As posted by Rob, Old St. Rd. 15 is permanently closed to public traffic as of last Friday, March 1st. From County Line Road, (Elkhart/Kosciusko Counties) south to North Street, which runs east/west through Milford Junction. Kosciusko County Highway Dept. has erected reflective barriers on each end of the now closed Old 15. The steel gate posts on each end have not had their gates installed yet. I'm thinking CGB bought the house and property of that couple. This house could serve as a temporary office for CGB or for the utilties and construction companies that most certainly will be there. Rob, the end of Old 15 at North St. near the CSX grade crossing could become a "public" railfanning spot if this crossing is closed, then taken out. CSX has closed numerous rural grade crossings along the Chicago route in the last several years. Berk
I began to wonder if they had been "bought out" when I went south on old 15, and turned east on the county road where the barricades are at, and saw basically no possible way for vehicle traffic to get around the barricades, toward that modular. Sure hope the old timers didn't get low-balled for their property. I'd have held out to the bitter end.