Grand Rapids MI railroad scanner

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Rapids MI railroad scanner

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

MQT3001 wrote:Windows Media player is giving an error message---something about the file is unable to be played....any thoughts?
It is a Microsoft product......

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Standard Railfan wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Windows Media player is giving an error message---something about the file is unable to be played....any thoughts?
It is a Microsoft product......
Scanner was down when that happened....not on my end...works like a dream now :D
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scanner offline for the night. Air conditioning broke today, reducing heat :p

Scanner back on this morning, cool enough in server room to run it. A/c man is supposed to be here this afternoon.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Zack...any chance that you could look at your scanner and see what frequency is picking up all the static? Something is interferring with the scanner like every 5-10 seconds. It seems to happen most days and the time of day usually doesn;t matter. I thought at first it might have been a cordless phone is your neighborhood interferring with one channel this is has been going on now for some time.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Does anyone have an iphone with the scanner radio app? I had it on my droid and was able to load the railroadfan scanner, but I can't find anywhere in the iphone app to enter the address for the scanner. It's like it only allows you to listen to scanners that are already saved in the system.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:Does anyone have an iphone with the scanner radio app? I had it on my droid and was able to load the railroadfan scanner, but I can't find anywhere in the iphone app to enter the address for the scanner. It's like it only allows you to listen to scanners that are already saved in the system.
If you simply use the 4th Link it works just fine under Safari? I believe.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
J T wrote:Does anyone have an iphone with the scanner radio app? I had it on my droid and was able to load the railroadfan scanner, but I can't find anywhere in the iphone app to enter the address for the scanner. It's like it only allows you to listen to scanners that are already saved in the system.
I prefer to the use the app as it was intended. I just can't figure out how to get the address loaded in there. It was pretty simple with the app on my droid, but something seems to be missing from the iphone version of the app.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

J T wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
I prefer to the use the app as it was intended. I just can't figure out how to get the address loaded in there. It was pretty simple with the app on my droid, but something seems to be missing from the iphone version of the app.
I had to buy the scanner radio pro version to be able to get it to save the URL's for the several web scanner feeds I have in my droid.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

trnwatcher wrote: I had to buy the scanner radio pro version to be able to get it to save the URL's for the several web scanner feeds I have in my droid.
I downloaded the free version and was able to load the rrfan scanner on my droid. I think Jon Hall and Zack did the same. What does the "pro" version have that the free version doesn't?

As far as I can tell, there is only one version for the iPhone. But there's got to be a way to load the rrfan scanner info...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Jim, I use an app called 5-0 Radio on my iPhone, the free version. It has an option right on the home screen to add your own feed, all you need to do is type in the url. I run this when I'm out fanning and stream it through my car speakers via Bluetooth. :mrgreen:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Nice! Thanks, Jon!

Now I have that familiar static sound on my phone. :D

I like the look of this app more than the other one, too.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

FYI, scanner was off overnight until around 11am. Appears a transformer nearby blew up, turned off power for a short bit overnight, and didn't notice the scanner server was offline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVFyhyghZo
Webmaster

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Good to hear it was a power problem and not a toppled antenna.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

On May 7th, the older links for the Grand Rapids based RR scanner will cease to function. Please look at the first post on this thread for the current links to load the online scanner. I ended up using a domain pointer on the host for this website to point to the scanner feed, so we shouldn't have to rely on an external DNS service anymore. If my IP changes at home, I just need to manually update the pointer on my end, but the http://railroadfan.com/feed should work for you all without you needing to change it again.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Hm, something is up with internet service at home, or the server is acting up. Will troubleshoot when home tonight.

admin edit: back up at 1pm, must have been some comcast issue, feed working again.
Webmaster

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

This isn't working for me today...tried both the URL into Chrome, which has worked in the past, and also in Windows Media Player...no dice. :?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Strange, when i was trying to connect a 2nd stream, said we were at max listeners.. had it set at 8 streams. Upped it to 12, rebooted server, and now i can connect 2 at once.. give it a whirl mqt3001, and when it works, disconnect and go back to listening to your teachers while at school.
Webmaster

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

~Z~ wrote:Strange, when i was trying to connect a 2nd stream, said we were at max listeners.. had it set at 8 streams. Upped it to 12, rebooted server, and now i can connect 2 at once.. give it a whirl mqt3001, and when it works, disconnect and go back to listening to your teachers while at school.
Sweet...it works now! Thanks Zack!

No school today or tomorrow...two days off for Professional Development today and Election Day tomorrow.

Now I've gotta listen for the Railgrinder!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Strange, when i was trying to connect a 2nd stream, said we were at max listeners.. had it set at 8 streams. Upped it to 12, rebooted server, and now i can connect 2 at once.. give it a whirl mqt3001, and when it works, disconnect and go back to listening to your teachers while at school.

No school today or tomorrow...two days off for Professional Development today and Election Day tomorrow.

Election day is a school Holiday now? Good lord, no wonder out education system in this country sucks. It isn't that its underfunded, it is because they seemingly are never in school...

Schools around here just had a week off last week for "Fall Break". Next Month Thanksgiving Break, then Christmas Break. No wonder the work ethic of people in their 20's sucks, they've never been required to work any length of time without feeling like they are entitled to a 'break'.

Practice Safe CSX

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Election day is a school Holiday now? Good lord, no wonder out education system in this country sucks. It isn't that its underfunded, it is because they seemingly are never in school...

Schools around here just had a week off last week for "Fall Break". Next Month Thanksgiving Break, then Christmas Break. No wonder the work ethic of people in their 20's sucks, they've never been required to work any length of time without feeling like they are entitled to a 'break'.

Practice Safe CSX
First day off for me since school started, it varies by district.
We used to have something called "midwinter break" about a month after Christmas. It was a week long and followed shortly (2 or 3 weeks) by spring break. Suffice to say the students loved that setup, but that break is no more. The administration finally realized how stupid and unproductive that was.
Honestly the breaks are few and far between for me now.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut