Merri-7 Trains to Close and Relocate

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Merri-7 Trains to Close and Relocate

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Just got home from my weekly trip to Merri-7. I was informed that as of June 30 they will be moving to Troy. Kind of sucks that the best train shop in the local area is moving, but progress happens. Guess its back to mail order and internet ordering for me.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Merri-7 Trains to Close and Relocate

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

No!!! That's the best train shop in the Metro Detroit area!

I guess they can no longer call it "Merri Seven"....
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Moving to Troy? I will have to check them out sometime :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Same here. I guess your loss is our (northsider's) gain. ;)

Shucks, it isn't that far of a drive to Troy for you guys. After losing Joe's, Rider's and Train Center it's nice to be getting an alternative to Tom's Hobby and Toy in Utica/Sterling. At least the scenery will be a bit different.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

dmitzel wrote:Same here. I guess your loss is our (northsider's) gain. ;)

Shucks, it isn't that far of a drive to Troy for you guys. After losing Joe's, Rider's and Train Center it's nice to be getting an alternative to Tom's Hobby and Toy in Utica/Sterling. At least the scenery will be a bit different.
While I would agree that a 30-45 minute drive isn't bad, it comes to the point of loosing the best railroad related hobby shop around this side of town. If I wasn't into trains I'd shop Nankin out in Westland or Farmington Hills. This was the gem of the westside. Not to mention the supply shop for the Redford Model Railroad Club, as all of us went there religiously to get either stuff for our layouts or the club. While I understand the "drive" part, the fuel cost to go there outweighs the stuff I would purchase. Much rather get it via Internet and pay the same (or maybe less) and the cost of driving there and back.

I can only wish them god speed on this endevour and hope that in the end, everything works out for them.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

YAY! This will be close to me (I live on Rochester Rd in Rochester). Now I can easily compare prices with Great Lakes and Merri Seven

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Well Jason said they were moving up to Oakland County at one point, but I didn't expect it THIS soon or even Troy for that matter, I was hoping for the Royal Oak location. Working there a few times I noticed that there is a lot of customers who drove from the downriver area so those customers will take twice the driving distance for them. Also, for us in the Plymouth/ Livonia area, Troy is a solid hour drive with all the traffic, almost the same time/distance as G&G Trains if you think about it. I'll probably still shop there, but only once in a great while due to the distance unless they can ship items to my home. I'm just glad I got all my supplies, trains, and railcars to finish my layout in time (Which is 95% complete). I'll just enjoy what I have, but who says you can have enough trains? :lol:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

Could this possibly mean a closing sale? I know there was one not too long ago, but could there be another one?
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Rats.

I haven't been buying much this year due to pricey house maintenance, but I've been using Merri-Seven as my replacement for Michigan Model Train Center for new and special-order items that MMTC wouldn't still have as they wind down the business (MMTC plans to stay open Friday through Sunday until the end of the year, or until their inventory is gone).

Getting out to Troy just isn't an option for me.

I'm not a big fan of mail order (especially when I need something on a Saturday afternoon to finish a project), but there's just no choice left out this way.
-Fritz Milhaupt

TrainWatcher
The Beast

fmilhaupt wrote:Rats.

I haven't been buying much this year due to pricey house maintenance, but I've been using Merri-Seven as my replacement for Michigan Model Train Center for new and special-order items that MMTC wouldn't still have as they wind down the business (MMTC plans to stay open Friday through Sunday until the end of the year, or until their inventory is gone).

Getting out to Troy just isn't an option for me.

I'm not a big fan of mail order (especially when I need something on a Saturday afternoon to finish a project), but there's just no choice left out this way.
exactly.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Well, I feel for the Wayne and Washtenaw Co. guys losing their favorite LHS. I can relate, as I still get wistful for the old Joe's Hobbies in Rochester every time I drive by Walton and Livernois. Then, Riders closed in two northern locations - Macomb and Madison Heights. We also lost Train Center in B-ham right about that time too.

I've never been to Merri-Seven, so I can't comment about the quality of the shop - but it's heartening to learn that they have a good railroading selection. I hope that gets reconstituted at their upcoming Troy location. I do quite a bit of business with Tom at Great Lakes, but would like a more, higher-end (advanced level) LHS in N. Oakland Co. - especially one that can handle special orders.

While losing a LHS is never good, at least Merri-Seven is only relocating - rather than closing for good. If there's a silver lining it's that. Regardless of Metro Detroit's economy the far northern suburbs still seem to be growing. Houses are starting to go up again (new builds) and considering what my next door neighbor got for his place prices are recovering too. Heck, Vendetti's Pizza moved up here in downtown Oxford from Shelby - having grown up E. of Rochester that alone made my year.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

dmitzel wrote:I've never been to Merri-Seven, so I can't comment about the quality of the shop - but it's heartening to learn that they have a good railroading selection. I hope that gets reconstituted at their upcoming Troy location. I do quite a bit of business with Tom at Great Lakes, but would like a more, higher-end (advanced level) LHS in N. Oakland Co. - especially one that can handle special orders.
There is a consistency to the way that Merri-Seven handles special orders. They place their orders on the same day every week (Wednesday, I think), and if what you wanted is in stock at their distributor, it shows up on the following Tuesday.

I actually ran a comparison among three shops a few years ago. I ordered the same thing at all three on the same day, knowing that Walthers showed the item in stock. Merri-Seven had the item in on the following Tuesday, MMTC had it several days later, and Rider's (Ypsi) took over a month to get it in.
-Fritz Milhaupt

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I guess I can't feel bad for anyone, I've always had to drive close to an hour for a hobby shop. I've been driving an hour ever since the days of going to Joe's in Farmington. Now it's just an hour in a different direction.... which is why a lot of stuff I buy is online.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

conrailmike wrote:I guess I can't feel bad for anyone, I've always had to drive close to an hour for a hobby shop.
I'd have to agree with ConrailMike on this one. As long as I've lived in Michigan, I've also had to drive at least an hour just to get to a hobby shop. Usually at least an hour and a half to two hours to get to a good hobby shop.

I've been into Merri-Seven's current location a couple of times. Even made a special trip down there once or twice. As much as the guys that live close to their current location don't like it, it will be nice to have another decent hobby shop within a reasonable drive from the Bluewater area, especially one that carries a decent selection of N scale.
~ Charles W.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

I went into Merri-7 to shop for the last time yesterday and boy they are packing and moving everything out like there is no tomorrow! The collectables, model cars/ kits, and some of the paints sections are all packed away. If anyone wants to go in there and shop, they should do it ASAP at the rate they are going. :shock:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:I went into Merri-7 to shop for the last time yesterday and boy they are packing and moving everything out like there is no tomorrow! The collectables, model cars/ kits, and some of the paints sections are all packed away. If anyone wants to go in there and shop, they should do it ASAP at the rate they are going. :shock:
Cause Chris yesterday was their last day at the old location. Their new location from what I heard last night at the RMRRC Business meeting is at 16 mile and Rochester Rd. in Troy and the reason they moved was the landlord doubled their rent.
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

PlymouthStationGuy wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:I went into Merri-7 to shop for the last time yesterday and boy they are packing and moving everything out like there is no tomorrow! The collectables, model cars/ kits, and some of the paints sections are all packed away. If anyone wants to go in there and shop, they should do it ASAP at the rate they are going. :shock:
Cause Chris yesterday was their last day at the old location. Their new location from what I heard last night at the RMRRC Business meeting is at 16 mile and Rochester Rd. in Troy and the reason they moved was the landlord doubled their rent.
Jason said they would still be open until June 30th unless everything is packed away before that date. They are only selling what they haven't packed yet. That's what I was told.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Their new location from what I heard last night at the RMRRC Business meeting is at 16 mile and Rochester Rd. in Troy.
Awesome! Well, not awesome for you guys. But awesome that they're on 16 mile road. That's right on my route to class when I have to go to one on campus... Guess I'll have to leave early now so I can stop in and see their new location..s
~ Charles W.

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sandpatch1 »

Stopped in friday, and THEY ARE CLOSED,,
heard new name might be EMPIRE trains, on rochester and 16 mile,
owner lives in troy area,
dave j

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Anyone heard if the new shop is open in Troy? Next time I am down in that area I will have to search around for it.