G&O Railroad

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: G&O Railroad

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Ahh, I didn't think about the destination part of it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:That's interesting, I didn't know Oxford was once like that. As for your railroad, you could just say that some companies decided to put some of their large gravel pits in Oxford, and that your railroad will have spurs into it.
It needs a destination that makes sense. The one I play around with is a gravel movement from Oxford to Romeo via ex-GTW Cass City sub, Pontiac Beltline, and Romeo Sub. Another possible movement would be Oxford to Jackson via Cass City Sub, Pontiac Beltline, and Jackson Sub. There is a little reality to both movements but also some liberty's on my part. I may have to give both some more thought.
I see those as being more like the windmill trains.....same origin, totally different destinations :wink: . Thats how MQT does the Alpena stuff....we bring it to Chicago or Toledo, then whoever can get it where Lafarge/Specification wants it gets it....we also use their waste as track ballast....I'd be happy to sell you some :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:I see those as being more like the windmill trains.....same origin, totally different destinations :wink: . Thats how MQT does the Alpena stuff....we bring it to Chicago or Toledo, then whoever can get it where Lafarge/Specification wants it gets it....we also use their waste as track ballast....I'd be happy to sell you some :wink:
That is a good suggestion MQT. Only problem is its a limited move. I need something that can provide years of traffic to sustain the tracks otherwise they can simply use HESR's tracks for the one time move of windmills and bypass me all together.

I've considered gravel from Oxford into the thumb but Wallace Stone does that more economically.

Ive also considered gravel from Oxford to Romeo and Jackson via Air Line which has some merit...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:I see those as being more like the windmill trains.....same origin, totally different destinations :wink: . Thats how MQT does the Alpena stuff....we bring it to Chicago or Toledo, then whoever can get it where Lafarge/Specification wants it gets it....we also use their waste as track ballast....I'd be happy to sell you some :wink:
That is a good suggestion MQT. Only problem is its a limited move. I need something that can provide years of traffic to sustain the tracks otherwise they can simply use HESR's tracks for the one time move of windmills and bypass me all together.

I've considered gravel from Oxford into the thumb but Wallace Stone does that more economically.

Ive also considered gravel from Oxford to Romeo and Jackson via Air Line which has some merit...
Limited, but with gravel, you can only ship in summer for starters. You could also dream up a large processing plant somewhere----even out-of-state......some of our specification stuff goes to a Texas Concrete plant....1 train per week usually

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

#30 and #41 leading 20 cars in Oxford SB. Two loaded grain cars from Millington interchange, two empty box cars from the Lapeer Sewage Plant, a loaded box car from Gestamp in Lapeer, 4 empty covered hoppers from the plastic company in Lapeer, an empty tanker car from an industry just south of the plastic company, one loaded box car from Graphic Machining in Metamora, two loaded gondola's from the scrap yard in Ortonville, two 86 foot loaded box cars from the auto parts factory in Flint, a loaded refrigerated box car from Del Monte in Flint, and an four loaded autoracks from the autoracks from the GM plant in Flint.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

#60 and #63 going WB in Burton with 17 cars. 9 empty autoracks for GM, 5 loaded 86 foot box cars for GM, a empty box car for the auto parts factory, and two empty boxcars for Del Monte.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

A new large grain elevator was recently finished being built just southeast of Millington. There is a loop track around it, and unit grain trains will occasionally originate there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:Limited, but with gravel, you can only ship in summer for starters. You could also dream up a large processing plant somewhere----even out-of-state......some of our specification stuff goes to a Texas Concrete plant....1 train per week usually
In MI aggregates are usually shipped around 39 weeks of the year. They start around April and end around December as long as the weather permits.

I try to create scenario's that make sense. Gravel traveling more than a couple hundred miles is very rare if it occurs at all because it is common and within trucking distance of most destinations.

For example. LSRC does not make a lot of money on the limestone they move from Alpena because it is a short haul and they have to price it to compete with trucking and against other aggregate operations in OH and IL.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

The paint scheme for the G&O is black all over the train with a yellow horizontal stripe down side of the locomotive from the cab to the rear. The nose and rear are covered with black and yellow diagonal stripes. On the horizontal stripe is the name in black lettering "Genesee and Oakland".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:The paint scheme for the G&O is black all over the train with a yellow horizontal stripe down side of the locomotive from the cab to the rear. The nose and rear are covered with black and yellow diagonal stripes. On the horizontal stripe is the name in black lettering "Genesee and Oakland".
hmmmm....what was your inspiration? I guess NKP Heritage Unit :wink:

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

I was actually inspired by the Indiana and Northeastern paint scheme, but now that you mention it, it is a lot like the NKP.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

The first grain train from Millington is preparing to go south to Sterling Heights. Power is #40, #41, and #47.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

atrainguy60 wrote:I was actually inspired by the Indiana and Northeastern paint scheme, but now that you mention it, it is a lot like the NKP.
That's because the guy who designed INE's paint scheme is a NKP fan :mrgreen:
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

The next grain train from Millington should be either tomorrow or Tuesday. Train 101 is just now arriving in Flint with 6 loaded 86 foot box cars for the auto parts factory, 2 empty box cars for Del Monte, 8 loaded auto parts box cars for GM, and 3 empty autoracks also for GM.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

List of train departure times:

#100 leaves Sterling Heights at 8:00am
#101 leaves Flint at noon

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

MQT, don't you have a local or something that could pick up/drop off cars in Flint at the G&O interchange track?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

atrainguy60 wrote:List of train departure times:

Is this it? :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Lol, yes, that's it.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:List of train departure times:

Is this it? :)
The beauty of short line paper railroading is you can get very detailed 8)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:MQT, don't you have a local or something that could pick up/drop off cars in Flint at the G&O interchange track?
Yep....Flint Local