Penn Central Northern Region

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Penn Central Northern Region

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Penn Central Northern Region is made up of lines in Michigan and consists of the Jackson and Grand Rapids Divisions, mostly ex NYC. The breakdown of the two divisions are contained in posts below so keep reading :)
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Penn Central Northern Region

Unread post by Saturnalia »

conrailman75 wrote:Penn Central Northern Region is made up of lines in Michigan and consists of the Jackson and Grand Rapids Divisions, mostly ex NYC. The breakdown of the two divisions are contained in posts below so keep reading :)
A quick note- The GR&P owns the GDLK line from Kzoo to GR, including the yard, so you will have to figure that out
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Rapids Division

Penn Central Grand Rapids Division is headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI and the biggest yard is Hughart yard in Grand Rapids with the other main yard in Kalamazoo, MI. A break down of the lines follows:

GR&I Branch(ex PRR)
runs from Howe, IN to Grand Rapids, MI
all single track, dispatched by train orders
Trains
TV5/TV6 - runs Howe to Wasepi
TV3/TV4
TV9/TV10 - runs Howe to Kalamazoo
FWGRI 464/GRIFW 462 - Ft. Wayne to Grand Rapids(hot carfloat traffic)
FWKA/KAFW - Kalamazoo to Ft. Wayne
PIGR/GRPI - Pittsburgh to Grand Rapids
INGR/GRIN - Indianapolis to Grand Rapids
TOGR/GRTO - Toledo to Grand Rapids
FWGR/GRFW - Ft. Wayne to Grand Rapids
GTW 870/GTW 871 - GTW(CN) tranfer run Grand Rapids to Ft. Wayne
CSX Q325/CSX Q326 - CSX trackage rights train Ft. Wayne to Grand Rapids
UWC -493/UWC 492 - unit coal train runs Ft. Wayne to South Haven, MI
UWC 693/UWC 692 - unit coal train runs Ft. Wayne to South Haven, MI

South Haven Branch(ex NYC)
runs Kalamazoo to South Haven
single track, dispatched by train orders
Trains
WJSH(local) - runs Kalamazoo to South Haven and return
UWC 693/UWC 692 - unit coal train runs to South Haven
UWC 493/UWC 492 - unit coal train runs to South Haven

Grand Rapids Branch(ex NYC)
runs Grand Rapids to Rives Jct(then NS or JAIL trackage rights to Jackson)
single track, dispatched by trainorders
Trains
CIGR/GRCI - Grand Rapids to Cincinnati
WJGR-1(local) - runs Grand Rapids to Jackson and back

Elkhart Branch(ex NYC)
runs Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids
single track, dispatched by trainorders
Trains
WJGR-2(local) - runs Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo and return
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

what needs coal in south Haven?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:Penn Central Northern Region is made up of lines in Michigan and consists of the Jackson and Grand Rapids Divisions, mostly ex NYC. The breakdown of the two divisions are contained in posts below so keep reading :)
A quick note- The GR&P owns the GDLK line from Kzoo to GR, including the yard, so you will have to figure that out
I'm keeping the GR&I so my Penn Central will sell you the old ex NYC Kalamazoo Branch(the line I call the Elkhart Branch) that runs from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids as the only scheduled train on it was a local anyways. In my world, Penn Central retained full control of the entire GR&I branch from Grand Rapids to Ft. Wayne on Conrail's creation day, 4/1/76, and thus if this had actually happened, then when NS sold the Elkhart line south of Kalamazoo to Grand Elk, it would have never included the GR&I north of K-zoo because it was never owned by NS in the first place.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:what needs coal in south Haven?
I created a fictional coal power plant in South Haven that doesn't exist in reality. In fact, to make it even more unlikely, I made it a NIPSCO plant(NIPSCO being Northern Indiana Public Service Company), to give my Nipsco hoppers I own a place to go and an excuse to run some foreign powered coal trains on the GR&I and for a reason to include the South Haven branch. My UWC trains ran with WC power until CN took over the WC and now they run with CN power.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Will you be making paintings of the PC?
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

conrailman75 wrote:
I created a fictional coal power plant in South Haven that doesn't exist in reality. In fact, to make it even more unlikely, I made it a NIPSCO plant(NIPSCO being Northern Indiana Public Service Company), to give my Nipsco hoppers I own a place to go and an excuse to run some foreign powered coal trains on the GR&I and for a reason to include the South Haven branch. My UWC trains ran with WC power until CN took over the WC and now they run with CN power.
IMO, I'd put it somewhere else because the Palisades Nuclear Plant is on the beach in South Haven (or am I swapping Cook for the Palisades? Palisades in North, Cook is south. MQT has a branch into Cook, the same branch CSX has in real life. Just saying that a coal AND nuclear plant next to each other seems a bit odd.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Jackson Division

Penn Central Jackson Division is headquartered in Jackson, MI and the largest yard is located in Jackson, with a smaller yard in Hillsdale. Here is the list of lines:

Hillsdale-Old Road Branch
runs from Hillsdale to White Pigeon
all single track dispatched by train orders
Trains
697 - runs Hillsdale to White Pigeon
691 - runs Sturgis to White Pigeon
693 - runs Hillsdale to Sturgis
696 - runs Sturgis to Hillsdale
692 - runs White Pigeon to Sturgis
698 - runs White Pigeon to Hillsdale

Osseo-Old Road Branch
runs Hillsdale to Osseo
all single track dispatched by train orders
Trains
699 - runs Osseo to Hillsdale
695 - runs Osseo to Hillsdale
694 - runs Hillsdale to Osseo
698 - runs Hillsdale to Osseo

Jackson Branch
runs Jackson to Three Rivers Jct(then trackage rights to Elkhart)
all single track, CTC signalled
Trains
TV6/TV5 - Jackson to Wasepi
JAEL/ELJA - Jackson to Elkhart(NS interchange traffic)

Litchfield Branch
runs Jonesville to Litchfield
all single track, dispatched by trainorders
Trains
WJHI-3(local) - runs to Litchfield and return

North Adams
runs Hillsdale to North Adams
Trains
WJHI-1(local) - runs to North Adams and return

Waterloo Branch
runs Ft. Wayne to Jackson
Trains
JAPI/PIJA - Pittsburgh to Jackson
JYFW/FWJY - Ft. Wayne to Jackson yard
JAFW/FWJA - Ft. Wayne to Jackson
WFAN(local) - runs Ft. Wayne to Angola and return
JAFW-X/FWJA-X(extra Jackson to Ft. Wayne)
WJHI-3(local) - runs Hillsdale to Jonesville and return

Please note that in my alternative world, Penn Central retained ownership of all the lines radiating out of Hillsdale and Jackson and never sold them to anyone, so the INE that you guys think of today would only own the ex Wabash line from South Milford to Montpelior, OH in my universe.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:
IMO, I'd put it somewhere else because the Palisades Nuclear Plant is on the beach in South Haven (or am I swapping Cook for the Palisades? Palisades in North, Cook is south. MQT has a branch into Cook, the same branch CSX has in real life. Just saying that a coal AND nuclear plant next to each other seems a bit odd.
I never knew there was a real nuclear power plant in South Haven! My aunt lives about 40 miles west of there in a little town on the South Haven Branch, Gobles, MI and we went to the beach in South Haven once as a kid and I don't recall a nuke plant there, but perhaps I'm wrong. Anyways, in my alternative universe I can pretend that the nuke plant was never built in the first place :)
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:Will you be making paintings of the PC?
I don't have that fancy art program you and others on here use to create fictional schemes. Besides, my Penn Central retained the original 70's era black with white worm paint scheme as the lines official paint scheme, which saves me from having to design one. This idea for my Penn Central is one I came up with back in the early to mid 90's when I was kicking around ideas for a future model railroad idea and using the real Penn Central's scheme would allow me to use anything lettered for the Penn Central for motive power. While its still a future railroad idea, the ideas have remained in my head almost 20 years later.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

conrailman75 wrote:
DT&I wrote:Will you be making paintings of the PC?
I don't have that fancy art program you and others on here use to create fictional schemes. Besides, my Penn Central retained the original 70's era black with white worm paint scheme as the lines official paint scheme, which saves me from having to design one. This idea for my Penn Central is one I came up with back in the early to mid 90's when I was kicking around ideas for a future model railroad idea and using the real Penn Central's scheme would allow me to use anything lettered for the Penn Central for motive power. While its still a future railroad idea, the ideas have remained in my head almost 20 years later.
We use paint lol, the defualt, and copy the images to paint from trainiax.net. And then recolor it and save it as a PNG file so we can re-edit it.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Okay, so you created a fictional nuke plant and located it in the same town as my fictional coal power plant? Now that's just plain weird :) Hmm, guess for the purposes of your little world I could tear up a whole bunch of farm fields and move my power plant back to Bloomingdale, MI, but on paper and in my mind that plant will always be in South Haven.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

conrailman75 wrote:Okay, so you created a fictional nuke plant and located it in the same town as my fictional coal power plant? Now that's just plain weird :) Hmm, guess for the purposes of your little world I could tear up a whole bunch of farm fields and move my power plant back to Bloomingdale, MI, but on paper and in my mind that plant will always be in South Haven.
THERE IS A NUKE PLANT IS SOUTH HAVEN! GO LOOK AT GOOGLE MAPS!

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

MQT3001 wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:Okay, so you created a fictional nuke plant and located it in the same town as my fictional coal power plant? Now that's just plain weird :) Hmm, guess for the purposes of your little world I could tear up a whole bunch of farm fields and move my power plant back to Bloomingdale, MI, but on paper and in my mind that plant will always be in South Haven.
OK MQT! NO NEED TO YELL AT HIM! Don't mind him, he likes to start "debates"... Why can't we have a nuke plant and a coal plant competing, since coal is cheaper I think the coal plant should stay.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DT&I wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
OK MQT! NO NEED TO YELL AT HIM! Don't mind him, he likes to start "debates"... Why can't we have a nuke plant and a coal plant competing, since coal is cheaper I think the coal plant should stay.
I did say last night that he could have his coal plant where ever he wanted it, and that it would just seem wierd. I was reacting to him saying that the nuke plant was fictional, when in fact, it does exsist in real life. I have no real objections to a coal plant nearby, other than it would be wierd, but being wierd is no grounds for saying it cant happen.

Let me know where it is, so I can draw on my timetable where your tracks would cross mine, if they do.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

For the love of god, it's all fictional, and it doesn't matter where anybody puts anything. If Chris wants a darn coal plant somewhere, he can have it there! Maybe he doesn't want his stuff to be part of your "organized" set of railroads.

Just to piss all of you off, I'm going to build a new railroad with all 100 mph track that goes everywhere all of your roads go, MQT. And I'm going to take all your traffic, buy you out, and put you on the street.

Now THAT'S realistic! :)
Bottom text.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Y@ wrote:For the love of god, it's all fictional, and it doesn't matter where anybody puts anything. If Chris wants a darn coal plant somewhere, he can have it there! Maybe he doesn't want his stuff to be part of your "organized" set of railroads.

Just to piss all of you off, I'm going to build a new railroad with all 100 mph track that goes everywhere all of your roads go, MQT. And I'm going to take all your traffic, buy you out, and put you on the street.

LOL will it have 200 trains a day? :D

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

DT&I wrote:
Y@ wrote:For the love of god, it's all fictional, and it doesn't matter where anybody puts anything. If Chris wants a darn coal plant somewhere, he can have it there! Maybe he doesn't want his stuff to be part of your "organized" set of railroads.

Bottom text.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Y@ wrote:
DT&I wrote:

Sorry MQT but I think you're screwed lol.