Train hits18-wheeler, cuts trailer in half

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Oct. 13, 2004, 5:29PM

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Bill Olive / For the Chronicle
A Houston Police officer surveys the damage after a train hit an 18-wheeler today.
• Slideshow: Train slices truck in two
Courtesy KHOU-TV
A train hit an 18-wheeler this afternoon in southeast Houston, leaving the driver unhurt but slicing the truck's trailer in half.

The accident occurred at the three-way intersection of Griggs, Mykawa and Long streets. The southbound train struck the truck just after the cab passed over the tracks, splitting the trailer.

Police at the scene said the truck was carrying plastic bags, which spilled across the road, bringing traffic in the area -- which is near south Loop 610 -- to a standstill.

No one was injured in the incident, which is still under investigation.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... an/2846110

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

nice...at least the train couldn't have been moving all that quickly if the engines stopped as soon as they did. sent that link to a buddy of mine in houston :)

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

railroadfan wrote:nice...at least the train couldn't have been moving all that quickly if the engines stopped as soon as they did. sent that link to a buddy of mine in houston :)
Someone on railroadforums.com (where I found the article) said the train was moving around 5mph. That's pretty dang slow to split a trailer in half :shock:

Here's another truck vs train crash in Texas. BNSF: 1, 18 wheeler: 0