Berea Ohio railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Berea Ohio railfanning

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

I am going there next week but my question it where do you stand to railfann there?
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Berea Ohio railfanning

Unread post by strugglin »

There are a few places to park along Depot St, and you will definately see other railfans there. Bring a folding chair though, I made that mistake last time I was there. There is limited shade depending on the time of day, but its already cooled down this week, so it may not matter as much.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

With Front Street being closed, the only way to approach the depot area from the north is to take Rocky River Drive, cross under the tracks and immediately turn left on Depot Street. The depot and surrounding parking areas are hard to miss. Make sure you bring some chairs, as there is no "natural" seating unless you want to sit in the grass (which there is plenty of). East of the station but before the Front St. bridge there are some trees and another smaller parking lot. However the foundry across the tracks from CSX blocks your view of the NS tracks.

I'm not sure if CSX cares if you cross the tracks or not (I know you used to be able to during Conrail) so I wouldn't advise that. There also is a new bridge that you can shoot off of that will eventually bring Front St. over both sets of tracks but as of now it's only across CSX. I'm told too that there is a place near the foundry where you can park and get a great view of the NS action.
Last edited by cbehr91 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

cbehr91 wrote: I'm not sure if CSX cares if you cross the tracks or not (I know you used to be able to during Conrail) so I wouldn't advise that.
Don't do it.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

mike nowakowski wrote:I am going there next week but my question it where do you stand to railfann there?
If u come in on 237 from 480 e or w you will need to stay on Rocky River Dr and turn down Depot St. from the West. If you get off onto Bagley from 71 n or s you can still turn north on Depot st. but not cross the sets of tracks as there is now a bridge that goes over both the csx and ns lines. They are still working on the NS side of things. About a month and a half ago it was very neat when CSX had that derailment outside of Chicago all CSX trains had to stop in front of the old Station Restaurant (no longer open due to the construction) and wait to get onto the NS line. I wish this move happened on a daily basis.
Enjoy your time in Berea, it's a great busy place still! I also like railfanning over in Olmsted Falls, the next town to the west. Over there NS runs by themselves on the north side as you may already know. Down on 252 where CSX crosses they are putting an underpass in there for the road so CSX has a shoefly there right now.
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

RichK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RichK »

See this page from my web site

http://members.trainorders.com/richk/berea.htm

There is a link to a map of the Depot St area you might find useful.

Also, see Dick Croy's Berea page here . . . .
http://trainorderpix.com/Berea.htm

Enjoy your visit.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

What day ya goin?
Brett