Scooters South Bend Indiana 7-3-05

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Scooters South Bend Indiana 7-3-05

Unread post by Scooterb »

My son and I head off to South Bend early Sunday morning.
We arrive in Elkhart and shoot this train in town,
OK its on to South Bend just east of town we get this train.
We settle at Arnold street for these trains
Head back to Elkhart for these
We get side tracked on the way home in White Pigeon for these classics, apologies for the exposeres but angles wernt that good.
Thanks for looking hope all enjoy
Scott b

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

great series Scott! man, you are just making me miss that place. Spent many countless hours down there. About how many trains would you say you saw while in South Bend and how long were you there? Thanks for posting
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

We got there about 9:30 Indiana time and just missed the eastbound parade. We left about 5:00 to head back to Elkhart. We saw only 14 trains in that time at South Bend. The CN line was slow probably due to the auto shut down for July. We also missed alot of trains before we got there and whenever we went to get drinks or food.
Scooterb

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:We got there about 9:30 Indiana time and just missed the eastbound parade. We left about 5:00 to head back to Elkhart. We saw only 14 trains in that time at South Bend. The CN line was slow probably due to the auto shut down for July. We also missed alot of trains before we got there and whenever we went to get drinks or food.
Scooterb
wow, that's a really low turnout..i'll have to make sure not to go around expecting high traffic during this month...went there in june before, and in october a couple times, always averaging 1 train about every 12-14 minutes.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Elkhart

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I was down in Elkhart on Monday, the 4th of July, and there were 3-4 trains an hour...sometimes more. Seemed to be running as usual, for the road and Amtrak trains, but no locals. Nice to see your photos Scooter. Did you happen to make it inside the depot? It seems the NYC depot, owner and caretaker of the 1900 built LS&MS building which is Elkhart's Amtrak Depot, has been taking a more active role in the upkeep of the building. How did it look to you? Nice to see much Amtrak information on the bulletin boards inside and the schedule racks well stocked with timetables and other Amtrak brocheures and info. I caught lots of Conrail power and some BNSF as well (UP too, and SD60M and SD40-2 in "We Will Deliver" paint!), on top of the boring NS black and white. Also saw the morning Amtrak #49, and evening Amtraks #30 and #48. The NS track observating train was there with the SD35 generator and theatre car. They headed east on the Water Level Route at 7PM Elkhart time on the 4th. Good to see it so busy down there!

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

No we didnt get inside the depot, but the outside looked better than it did last time I was down there about 5 years ago. We must have hit South Bend on a slow day, will have to try it again.
Scott B.